Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

vgerdes

Finally got around to seeing "Spiderman: No Way Home." What a treat it was to see
Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland on screen together.
But such a heartbreaking ending. It was almost as bad as
Tony Stark's death in Endgame.
I really felt for the kid. Tom Holland was stellar, even though it is starting to get a bit hard to buy him as a teenager.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Has anyone seen Dont look up? One of my friends on Facebook posted that she watched it at night and it was very scary. It doesn't sound like a movie that I should see.

PeterG

I love Whit Stillman’s films from the 90’s and his costume comedy “Love and Friendship” from 2016. I had not seen 2011’s “Damsels in Distress” with Greta Gerwig so I watched and was glad to see a film about four college women living by their own code. But I thought it was Stillman’s weakest film though still worth watching.

I'm going to watch both. The trailer for Damsels In Distress is really funny. 🤣 I saw Whitman's Th Last Days Of Disco, but it was so long ago that pretty much all I can remember now is the title... :shuffle:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Has anyone seen Dont look up? One of my friends on Facebook posted that she watched it at night and it was very scary. It doesn't sound like a movie that I should see.
Ditto what @Cachoo said. It's scary more in the big picture of where we are politically, as a country, than the actual premise of the film. Very well acted by all the lead players.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ditto what @Cachoo said. It's scary more in the big picture of where we are politically, as a country, than the actual premise of the film. Very well acted by all the lead players.
Sounds like it is worth seeing. I took my friend's comment literally, like it is a horror film.

PeterG

6.5/10 – Crossfire is a 1947 drama starring Robert Young (Father Knows Best) and Robert Mitchum. Young plays a police investigator who is looking into the death a man who has been beaten to death. In the DVD extras for this movie, it is mentioned that in the late 40’s, about one third of movies made have a theme which falls under the category of social commentary. So the message of this movie is good as well as important, but the movie comes across as a little preachy with a tone aimed at high school students around what human decency is. I liked the movie for the message delivered, but wished it could have been done so with a less heavy-handed approach.

Crossfire received five Oscar nominations: best picture, best director, best adapted screenplay, supporting actor (Robert Ryan) and supporting actress (Gloria Grahame).

No decent trailer for Crossfire at Youtube, but this scene is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AosW1dIPjTk&t=11s

Japanfan

I actually thought it was a terrible movie. :scream:

I'm not sure whether the reason for that was bad directing, or bad editing - most likely the former. Jennifer Lawrence and Leo did their best, but IMO could not save the film.

It didn't scare me because I didn't find the premise presented in a way that was believable.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I watched Eyes of Tammy Faye on HBO Max. Jessica Chastain was excellent as Tammy Faye Bakker and Andrew Garfield captured Bakker’s mannerisms well. The movie started out well, but somehow the whole thing feels sanitized. It never goes as deeply into the characters or their situation or their involvement too much. It’s very matter-of-fact (feels like we’re just being told of their crimes and opulence and the true extent of their stealing) and the characters’ big blow outs or crumbling psyche sometimes feel like they come out of no where because of lack of proper set up. That said, when the movie is effective, it is effective. The final scene where
After years of obscurity and dealing with her pariah status, Tammy Faye has a successful performance at Oral Robert’s college, it feels as poignant and important as Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall or something and truly worked.
I just wish everyone involved with this movie didn’t handle what the Bakkers did with such soft gloves…especially Tammy because as kind and full of love as I believe she was…I also know she knew what was going on and knew that they were exploiting and stealing people’s money to fund her extravagant lifestyle.

In the end, Chastain’s performance is clearly one of the years best and I hope she gets an Oscar nomination for it. I wouldn’t mind if she won.

Seerek

I actually thought it was a terrible movie. :scream:

I'm not sure whether the reason for that was bad directing, or bad editing - most likely the former. Jennifer Lawrence and Leo did their best, but IMO could not save the film.

It didn't scare me because I didn't find the premise presented in a way that was believable.

I actually thought some of the satirical points were quite on-the-nose (especially as it relates with YKW in a 2022 context), but yes, I don't think Adam McKay chose the right end-of-world premise at all to package those ideas, imo.

As with all satire, if you don't have all the actors on a similar wavelength of the reality/satire spectrum, you get a rather disjointed film overall, which was the case here. Some went full on screwball (Ron Perlman), others went more subtle (Mark Rylance).

I'm not surprised at the polarizing opinions of Don't Look Up - I suspect many people were expecting the film be predominantly "Genre X or Y", then seeing the actual film not really knowing what tone it should be (that's more a direction decision than necessarily the script, imo).

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I just wish everyone involved with this movie didn’t handle what the Bakkers did with such soft gloves…especially Tammy because as kind and full of love as I believe she was…I also know she knew what was going on and knew that they were exploiting and stealing people’s money to fund her extravagant lifestyle.

In the end, Chastain’s performance is clearly one of the years best and I hope she gets an Oscar nomination for it. I wouldn’t mind if she won.
This is why I probably won't be able to watch Eyes of Tammy Faye even though I adore Jessica Chastain. I grew up with parents and attending church with people who idealised and arguably idolized televangelists and talked more along the lines of the doctrine they were spreading than actually reading the bible and researching things on their own. I'm glad Tammy Faye was kind to gay people, but as a queer person living with the results of growing up with people and surrounded by people who follow televangelists before they actually follow God I would rather see a movie that deals more accurately with how the people who minister on TV behave and the consequences of their actions.

That said, as someone who's been a fan of Jessica Chastain for many years now, I do hope she wins the Oscar, even if it's for a movie I won't be watching.

PeterG

8/10 – 13 Minutes is a great 2015 German drama about a man named Georg Elser who in 1939 attempted to assassinate Adolf Hitler. The timeline of the film switches from the time Elser is captured and interrogated...back to his life when the Nazis are taking control of Germany. So in the flashbacks we get to see a man who is much more interested in women than anything of a political nature. That changes as he can’t help but be disturbed by seeing what is happening to his country. Everything about this movie is well done, a great script and direction as well as top-notch performances, especially from the lead actor Christian Friedel.

Trailer for 13 Minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5-NdI9Lr3o

Cachoo

This is why I probably won't be able to watch Eyes of Tammy Faye even though I adore Jessica Chastain. I grew up with parents and attending church with people who idealised and arguably idolized televangelists and talked more along the lines of the doctrine they were spreading than actually reading the bible and researching things on their own. I'm glad Tammy Faye was kind to gay people, but as a queer person living with the results of growing up with people and surrounded by people who follow televangelists before they actually follow God I would rather see a movie that deals more accurately with how the people who minister on TV behave and the consequences of their actions.

That said, as someone who's been a fan of Jessica Chastain for many years now, I do hope she wins the Oscar, even if it's for a movie I won't be watching.
Well this film is not flattering to them. You'll be happy to know that the person who looks the worst in this film is Jerry Falwell and deservedly so.

watchthis!!

I vaguely remember watching The Fury as a kid. I think maybe it was made because the movie Carrie was a success, as The Fury is also about young people with psychic powers. It’s nowhere near as good as Carrie, though. The cast is really good, which includes Amy Irving, Kirk Douglas, John Cassavetes, Charles Durning, and Andrew Stevens. But I found the direction (by Brian De Palma) to let the cast and the story down. Basically it’s about Kirk Douglas’ son being kidnapped because of his abilities, which the American government want to learn about so as to hopefully weaponize those powers. Amy Irving also plays a youth with powers who helps Douglas find his son. This movie is watchable for the cast and has an interesting storyline…but with direction that is lacking.

Cachoo

I'd never heard of "The Good Night" and found it entertaining. What happens if your dream state seems better than your life? Interesting premise. Good film, not great by any means. On Prime---imdb description: Former British pop star Gary Shaller (Martin Freeman) is at a crossroad in his life: his job in New York City is going nowhere, his American wife, Dora (Gwyneth Paltrow), drives him crazy, and he passed his thirtieth birthday four years ago. Add to that his best friend Paul (Simon Pegg) seems to become more successful every time he breathes. Gary is feeling depressed and dejected, until he meets Anna (Penélope Cruz). She's glamorous and smart; she's seductive and witty. Best of all, she's crazy about Gary. Anna is the girl of Gary's dreams, literally. And that's the problem. Gary can only see Anna in his dream life, so he has to find a way to carry on the most satisfying relationship of his life, in his dreams. His quest for lucid dreaming techniques introduces Gary to some crazy characters who ultimately give him a new perspective on life.

The Postcard Killings (Hulu) Jeffrey Dean Morgan stars as an American cop in Europe involved in tracking a serial murderer. Why he is in Europe is evident early and the international cast is a plus. I thought it overlong at times but generally liked the mystery of who and why.

Last edited:

watchthis!!

Probably the best movie I have seen this year is Booksmart. I looooved the story and the casting for this movie is so spot-on. I loved how in comparison to all the other teen movies that this one side-steps pretty much all the character cliches that are forced upon us over and over again. I also appreciated how eventually I pretty much like every character that is in the movie. So a big thumbs up to the four women who wrote this. Booksmart is also produced by women and directed by Olivia Wilde. It won an Independent Spirit Award for best first feature, was nominated for two BAFTA’s and according to Wikipedia, was “was included on 68 critics' top-ten lists, and on two lists was ranked in first place.”

Davy88gtbwxyc

The movie "Crazy Kind of Love" starring Virginia Madsen, Sam Trammel, Zach Gilford, Amanda Crew and Graham Rogers was interesting but not very enjoyable.

I found the acting to be somewhat cheesy and unrealistic throughout various parts of the movie, with some exceptions.

This is not the usual type of movie that I'm drawn to, but I thought I'd try something new.

A lead female character in the movie struck me as rather excessively obnoxious which came across as disingenuous and made her seem mentally unstable which I'm not sure was intended by the director/producer of the film.

A strained relationship dynamic between father and son in the movie sort of seemed overly dramatic to me.

I was pleased with how the movie concluded though, because everything seemed to fall in place and tie together in a harmonious way.

Cachoo

I think "Summerland" might be one of the favorite films I see in 2022. Gemma Arterton is Alice Lamb, living in a coastal cottage in Kent during WWII. She is an academic---a folklorist and as prickly as they come (we find out why) She is saddled with a boy from the London evacuation and told the ubiquitous "everyone must do their bit." She is not the least bit maternal. But the story of Alice, the child and the folklore, along with that setting is beautiful.

VGThuy

Geez...and it hasn't opened in China yet. I don't know if this about the movie or people wanting to be out and about or both.
A lot of has to do with the movie. A lot of movies are suffering financially due to fear of being out in closed quarters like a movie theater. If they were going to take the risk, they want to take it with a movie like Spiderman, which they are dying to see.

watchthis!!

Centigrade is a so-so movie about a couple who get stranded at night on a remote highway in Norway. The road is icy and they don’t know the area, so they pull over in order to stay safe. But that night, the snowfall is so great that their vehicle gets covered in ice and snow and traps them inside. Their cell phone can’t get any reception and the battery is running low. Oh, and the wife is very, very pregnant. I thought this movie was okay, but it’s one where the characters do stupid things to make their situation worse. So it’s frustrating to watch them make numerous errors. I’d probably recommend this only to people who like adventure thrillers meant to keep you on the edge of your seat. Even if that seat is inside a car for the entire length of the movie. :lol:

Cachoo

Centigrade is a so-so movie about a couple who get stranded at night on a remote highway in Norway. The road is icy and they don’t know the area, so they pull over in order to stay safe. But that night, the snowfall is so great that their vehicle gets covered in ice and snow and traps them inside. Their cell phone can’t get any reception and the battery is running low. Oh, and the wife is very, very pregnant. I thought this movie was okay, but it’s one where the characters do stupid things to make their situation worse. So it’s frustrating to watch them make numerous errors. I’d probably recommend this only to people who like adventure thrillers meant to keep you on the edge of your seat. Even if that seat is inside a car for the entire length of the movie. :lol:
That sounds claustrophobic.

Judy

I vaguely remember watching The Fury as a kid. I think maybe it was made because the movie Carrie was a success, as The Fury is also about young people with psychic powers. It’s nowhere near as good as Carrie, though. The cast is really good, which includes Amy Irving, Kirk Douglas, John Cassavetes, Charles Durning, and Andrew Stevens. But I found the direction (by Brian De Palma) to let the cast and the story down. Basically it’s about Kirk Douglas’ son being kidnapped because of his abilities, which the American government want to learn about so as to hopefully weaponize those powers. Amy Irving also plays a youth with powers who helps Douglas find his son. This movie is watchable for the cast and has an interesting storyline…but with direction that is lacking.
Carrie freaks me out to this day. I don’t do well with supernatural or horror though = avoidance lol.

PeterG

A lot of has to do with the movie. A lot of movies are suffering financially due to fear of being out in closed quarters like a movie theater. If they were going to take the risk, they want to take it with a movie like Spiderman, which they are dying to see.

Do you mean literally or figuratively?

Okay, not meaning to get all Debbie Downer here, but I'd like to hear from everybody about your area and the guidelines for seeing a movie. Here in the Greater Vancouver area, anyone twelve or older must be fully vaccinated for at least 14 days. Everyone must show proof of vaccination and government I.D. to confirm you are the same person as named on the proof of vaccination. I haven't been to a movie in a while, but when I last did, people had to choose a seat six feet away from anyone else and wear a mask unless eating.

I'm curious about your area, including outside of North America, because I'm wondering if not all areas are so stringent. And if this is the case, it's possible with Spiderman making so much money, there must have been packed theatres with somebody who has Covid but is asymptomatic. And who knows how many people are catching it while seeing this movie. Spiderman is not streaming anywhere, right? So people who want to see it have HAD to go to a theatre.

annie720

Saw Licorice Pizza today. In spite of looking forward to it and being intrigued by the previews, it was a letdown. I felt like I was watching something a film student put together by pulling all of the notes out of his drawer with ideas he's had since he was 10, and put them together with no plot. Positives: I did like the lead actors and will be looking forward to seeing them in other roles. The Yours, Mine and Ours musical number made me laugh but the Jon Peters bit was funny for about 5 seconds, tops. Everything looked very amateurish and the age difference between the lead characters was too great to be believable. It felt like everyone involved got lazy. My husband agrees.

Integrity

Okay, not meaning to get all Debbie Downer here, but I'd like to hear from everybody about your area and the guidelines for seeing a movie. Here in the Greater Vancouver area, anyone twelve or older must be fully vaccinated for at least 14 days. Everyone must show proof of vaccination and government I.D. to confirm you are the same person as named on the proof of vaccination. I haven't been to a movie in a while, but when I last did, people had to choose a seat six feet away from anyone else and wear a mask unless eating.

I'm curious about your area, including outside of North America, because I'm wondering if not all areas are so stringent. And if this is the case, it's possible with Spiderman making so much money, there must have been packed theatres with somebody who has ********* but is asymptomatic. And who knows how many people are catching it while seeing this movie. Spiderman is not streaming anywhere, right? So people who want to see it have HAD to go to a theatre.
I'm in New England. I have been to the theater several times since they re-opened, but mainly since fall when things I'm interested in were showing.

In May, spectators were required to wear a mask, spaced seating.
In the Fall, no masks, no proof of vaccination, no spaced seating.
The last time I went, Jan 2, spectators were once again required to wear a mask and spaced seating. No proof of vaccination required - yet.

On a related note, in the next few weeks/months I've got tickets to concerts at the Boston Symphony, Wang Center (Boston) and Madison Square Garden (NY). All requiring proof of vaccination and masks. Needless to say, seating will not be spaced. As of now, I plan to attend all of them.

Cachoo

I'm curious about your area, including outside of North America, because I'm wondering if not all areas are so stringent. And if this is the case, it's possible with Spiderman making so much money, there must have been packed theatres with somebody who has ********* but is asymptomatic. And who knows how many people are catching it while seeing this movie. Spiderman is not streaming anywhere, right? So people who want to see it have HAD to go to a theatre.
Not so stringent....Here is the info for our main theater group:

What is CinemaSafe?​

CinemaSafe is a program promoting protocols and guidelines developed and supported by leading epidemiologists to support a safe return to movie theatres.

Commissioned by the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO), this program puts the health and safety of our guests and employees at the center of movie theatre operations across the country.

Regal joins in implementing these expert-backed, industry-specific health and safety protocols.

Face Coverings​

With rapid improvements in COVID-19 case rates, increasingly widespread vaccinations, and recent CDC guidance that vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks or socially distance, the movie theatre industry will continue to meet or exceed state and local public health guidelines.

State and local guidelines vary based on local conditions and vaccination rates.

The CDC continues to recommend masks and social distancing for unvaccinated people.

Masks will not be required unless mandated by state and local guidelines. Where masks are mandated, they can be removed only while eating and drinking while seated in an auditorium. Employees monitor auditoriums throughout each performance as a standard practice.

In each Auditorium​

Auditorium capacities will be reduced where required by state or county mandate.

Regal Cast Members​

Regal employees will undergo daily health screenings including temperature checks where mandated.

All employees will be required to wear masks where required by state or county mandate.

Guest Wellness​

Regal continues to work closely with the relevant authorities and safety measures will be constantly monitored and adjusted according to the requirements.

We have also reviewed our plans with leading infectious diseases experts, who stated that "Regal Theatres' reopening plan is consistent with the safety practices recommended by the Centers for Disease Control for operating public event spaces during the COVID-19 pandemic."

In other words if your state requires it we'll take extra care but otherwise pack them in....

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information