Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

ilovepaydays

Paul Giamatti has won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture Actor in a Comedy/Musical for The Holdovers. Not surprised - and well deserved.

Poor Things has won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture Comedy/Musical.

ilovepaydays

And….that’s a wrap! The Golden Globes only ran four minutes over! Nice job! 😂

I think the Oscar nominations come out in a couple of weeks.

vgerdes

New Category this year: Best Cinematic & Box Office Achievement. Winner was Barbie - OF COURSE!!!

Margot Robbie’s dress tonight is insanely good! 😎

Great job by the designer in recreating the original look of 1977 Superstar Barbie. There were a lot of winning looks on the red carpet this year, although Emma Stone wasn't one of them, IMO. I thought the hair and makeup were a little too understated with such a pale dress. It made her look washed out. A person's eyebrows shouldn't be the most memorable thing about their appearance. Don't get me wrong, I love Emma, I just didn't love this look for her. And now I sound like the fashion police, LOL.

ilovepaydays

Great job by the designer in recreating the original look of 1977 Superstar Barbie. There were a lot of winning looks on the red carpet this year, although Emma Stone wasn't one of them, IMO. I thought the hair and makeup were a little too understated with such a pale dress. It made her look washed out. A person's eyebrows shouldn't be the most memorable thing about their appearance. Don't get me wrong, I love Emma, I just didn't love this look for her. And now I sound like the fashion police, LOL.

I haven’t seen Poor Things yet, and now that Stone was for Best Actress Comedy and the movie won Best Motion Picture Comedy last night, I think I will put it on my list to see next in theaters - maybe next weekend.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There is no way I'm getting Mr Mac to see Poorer Things. I will have to wait for streaming.

Speaking of which, we streamed Blue Beetle this weekend and it was really fun. I do think the first half before he gets the beetle could have been cut in half. But once the action gets going, it's a fun romp.

ilovepaydays

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I want to see Poor Things so badly but I live too far north for nice things. And by nice things I specifically mean getting to see limited release movies before they become available digitally. I just hope it's available before the Oscars. I don't even need it to be on a streaming site I'll pay for it in iTunes if I have to.

I want to see Poor Things so badly but I live too far north for nice things. And by nice things I specifically mean getting to see limited release movies before they become available digitally. I just hope it's available before the Oscars. I don't even need it to be on a streaming site I'll pay for it in iTunes if I have to.
I have similar issues here :drama: Though our theatre hasn't been updated since 1995 so often watching at home (with a pretty good home theatre set up) is the better option anyway.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I am so thankful that we have a great cinema here in Hobart which shows everything, including quite a few major releases and most of the arthouse movies or special screenings. It has a range of cinema sizes. Two of the small ones have couches with cushions. Always happy to get to see a movie in cinemas 5 & 8.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I went to see The Book of Clarence today. A fun movie, dark humor and pretty well done. Lakeith Stanfield was excellent in two different roles, Omar Sy was great, and James MacAvoy and Alfre Woodard were both very good in small roles. A good movie, not a great one, but a fun 2 hours in the theater.

peibeck

Simply looking
Peacock will be streaming Oscar frontrunner "Oppenheimer" (exclusively) beginning February 16th.

Davy88gtbwxyc

"Seeking Fire" is a docu about the FIRE movement - Financial Independence Retire Early. It's pretty cool, showing different people trying to save heaps of cash to quit their jobs early. The film makes you think about what's important in life, not just about money. It's easy to follow, even if you're not a money expert.

But, it's a bit too optimistic. The film doesn't show the hard parts of living super frugal. Also, it might not click with everyone, especially if you're dealing with money troubles.

Overall, it's an okay watch. It's inspiring, but don't take it as a complete guide to early retirement.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I went to see The Holdovers yesterday. Such a great movie. Really nice storytelling and performances.

I first saw Paul Giamatti in Howard Stern's Private Parts. He reminds me of Stanley Tucci who is one of those actors that kind of flies under the radar in terms of big names but is excellent in every part he plays.

I also loved how they it had such a 70s feel about it, right down to the Titles and Credits.

ilovepaydays

I went to see The Holdovers yesterday. Such a great movie. Really nice storytelling and performances.

I first saw Paul Giamatti in Howard Stern's Private Parts. He reminds me of Stanley Tucci who is one of those actors that kind of flies under the radar in terms of big names but is excellent in every part he plays.

I also loved how they it had such a 70s feel about it, right down to the Titles and Credits.

I’m excited to see The Holdovers when it’s available to rent on Amazon Prime. Speaking of Paul Giamatti, if you’re intrigued by American history, I highly recommend watching the miniseries John Adams. IMHO, it’s probably one of the best adaptations of that time period (1770-1820).

Cachoo

Da’Vine Joy Rudolph just won the Best Supporting Actress Golden Globe for The Holdovers. I’m pleasantly shocked. She was great, but I thought Emily Blunt was going to win for Oppenheimer.

Robert Downey, Jr. won Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe for Oppenheimer.

Shall we do a separate thread for the award show season for movies?
And just now she won the Critics Choice award. Will she sweep awards season?

Cachoo

Robert Downey Jr wins best supporting for Oppenheimer…got bored when the football game and happened to find this on the CW

Cachoo

Maria Bello for Beef and Jonathan Bailey for Fellow Travelers—supporting actors in a limited series

Cachoo

Elizabeth Debicki for The Crown and Billy Crudup for The Morning Show—support drama series

Cachoo

Meryl Streep (Only Murders in the Building) and Ebon Moss-Bachrach (Beef). Best Support Comedy

ilovepaydays

And just now she won the Critics Choice award. Will she sweep awards season?

Maybe - and it looks like Oppenheimer will as well. But we know what happened at the Oscars as recently as in 2019 (Parasite, favorite was 1917) and 2021 (CODA, I think the favorite was West Side Story).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information