Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

manhn

I am not sure why people (not anywhere here) would think Ang Lee would make a movie that is not under his complete control and authority? He may not have thought more explicit sex scenes were needed, but I doubt Lee made that choice to appease a studio.

Watched May December. Fascinating movie if icky beyond belief. What’s interesting is not what is being displayed, but how sexual assault and molestation is justified and somehow softened. Excellent work all around.

Seerek

Saw The Holdovers yesterday, a holiday-themed movie about a northeastern boarding-school student forced to spend the Christmas holidays on campus with an unpopular teacher, played by Paul Giamatti. The story takes place in the early '70s and you very much get the feeling that it was filmed during that era. It's full of imperfect characters who don't try very hard to be anything else. It was apparently filmed entirely in Massachusetts on the campuses of several prep schools, and has that dreary feeling that makes you want to be anywhere else. My husband and I enjoyed it. It wouldn't surprise me if Da'Vine Joy Randolph receives a nom for her role as the cook.

I think Da'Vine is pretty much a lock for an Oscar nomination - Mary is very much the heart (and the compass) of the film.

VGThuy

I am not sure why people (not anywhere here) would think Ang Lee would make a movie that is not under his complete control and authority? He may not have thought more explicit sex scenes were needed, but I doubt Lee made that choice to appease a studio.
NVM. I read the context. I missed it the first time :lol:

watchthis!!

I watched Emily this weekend, which is a (semi-?) fictional account of Emily Bronte's life leading up to the writing of Wuthering Heights. It's interesting to watch things that happened in her life and people around her who may have inspired her to create the characters for her novel. The cast is very strong, but unknown to me other than Oliver Jackson-Cohen, who plays a new clergyman who may end up being the inspiration for Heathcliff. The movie was written and directed by Frances O'Connor, her first time in either role. She knocks it completely out of the park. Hope she gets a chance to make a lot of movies in the future. O'Connor has been known for her acting roles, most notably as Fanny Price in 1999's Mansfield Park.

Davy88gtbwxyc

“The Parts You Lose” is an interesting film with Aaron Paul playing a fugitive who forms an unusual friendship with a young deaf boy. The movie is a bit of a slow-burn drama that focuses on their growing bond. Aaron Paul brings a solid performance, with his character being both intriguing and relatable. Danny Murphy, who plays the deaf boy does an amazing job expressing a lot of emotion without speaking.

The film isn’t packed with action, but it has its tense moments. It’s not the kind of movie that’s full of excitement, but it has a lot of depth and gets you thinking about friendship and survival. If you’re into movies that are more about the characters and their relationships, this is a good one to watch.

vgerdes

I am kind of not getting the Pedro Pascal love. I think I got turned off him from the last Wonder Woman movie. But I did enjoy him in the movie with Nicholas Cage The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. I always enjoy Nick Cage not taking himself seriously.
Pedro has always been kind of hit-and-miss with me. I loved him in "The Unbearable Weight...," "Game of Thrones" and "The Mandalorian." I agree he was kind of awful in "Wonder Woman 1984," but then that whole movie was a massive disappointment.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
My husband and I went to see Godzilla Minus One tonight. Afterwards, I asked him how he liked it and he said it was "too convoluted and unrealistic." :lol: It's a Godzilla movie - of course it's unrealistic unless you think Godzilla is here with us now. :p Personally, I loved it. :swoon:

Davy88gtbwxyc

"Joy Ride" is a fun and wild ride of a movie! It's got a great mix of humor and heart. The story of Audrey and her friends travelling to China is full of unexpected twists and lots of laughs. The characters are goofy in an endearing sort of way and they are also sometimes relatable, and their adventures keep you entertained. It's not just a comedy though, there are also a some emotional moments too. Definitely a good pick for a movie night if you're in the mood for something that's both funny and touching.

ilovepaydays

Just got back home from watching Wonka. Being that it’s still in it’s opening weekend, I’ll put my review in spoiler.

Overall, I give this movie a 9/10. I think that Wonka did a great job with the scenes that you involved a green screen (Wonka/Noodle flying with the balloons, Milking the giraffe, etc.). I’ve seen movies that have used a green screen and the effect seemed so “fake”.

I think the movie did a great job telling the message about the importance of just leaving people alone to pursue their dreams. The cartel was obsessed with just offering just “plain” chocolates and were enraged that people wanted Wonka’s “magical” chocolates - even though Wonka had no desire to ruin their businesses. It also showed that it was good to use your skills to help people - whether it was Wonka’s ability to make chocolates, Noodle teaching Wonka how to read, Abascus knowing about the “green ledger”, and Lottie finding Noodle’s mother.

At the end, Wonka learns from his mother’s last chocolate bar that, “It isn’t about the chocolate. It’s about who you share it with.” After sharing it with his friends, the impression is that that chocolate is “plain”. But they all still enjoy it. 😊

I think that Olivia Coleman and Hugh Grant did great as Scrubitt and Oompa-Loompa. I had slight negatives about Wonka: 1) I wished that Noodle’s mother was given something to say when they reunited instead of them just hugging, and 2) I think that Timothée Chalamet did a great job in acting Wonka, did fairly well in dancing Wonka, but was MEH! in singing Wonka. It wasn’t quite as bad as Russell Crowe in Les Misérables, though.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I took the twins to see "Wonka" yesterday. They loved the movie (at 12 years old). It was in my mind definitely a kid's movie, but one that adults could enjoy as well. More musical than I was expecting for some reason (the original Willy Wonka was musical as well so I'm not sure why I was expecting different). The CGI was pretty good, and Timothee Chalamet is charming. The supporting cast was pleasant also. Not a stellar movie, but a nice time at the theater yesterday.

peibeck

Simply looking
Watched May December. Fascinating movie if icky beyond belief. What’s interesting is not what is being displayed, but how sexual assault and molestation is justified and somehow softened. Excellent work all around.

I watched this last night. Overall well acted, but I found the dialogue to be extremely clunky.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
OK so we have tickets to see Wonka in Berlin here tomorrow in the afternoon. This does not seem like my type of movie, but because of all the good reviews were going to go.

For those of you that have seen Wonka, is it at all scary? I realized that baby mic has never been to a movie theatre so I was thinking of doing that over the holidays. Trolls is still out too but Wonka seemed more fun for me :shuffle:

ilovepaydays

For those of you that have seen Wonka, is it at all scary? I realized that baby mic has never been to a movie theatre so I was thinking of doing that over the holidays. Trolls is still out too but Wonka seemed more fun for me :shuffle:

Wonka is rated “PG” - I’m not sure if/how that translates outside of the USA. The required verbiage for PG rated is “Parental Guidance Suggested” and “Some Material May Not Be Suitable for Children”. I think the difference between “G” and “PG” is that with “G” you don’t see any death or acts of harm against someone. And no sexuality beyond probably showing kisses on the lips - but I think that’s true with “PG”.

I think Wonka would probably be fine for a child around age 8 - maybe 5-6 if they can be fine with the concept of someone wanting to harm - even if that person could die. The only violence is how the chocolate cartel wants to stop Wonka by any means necessary - even if means that Noodle, who’s a preteen, is collateral damage. But Wonka and Noodle survive and I don’t think are even seriously injured.

I hope this made enough sense and helps.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Actor Jonathan Majors has been found guilty of some of the charges against him.
And Marvel has fired him. (That was in the other article but very far down)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
This is my No. 1 must-see movie this winter. It looks so good.

As for Jonathan Majors... wow. Talk about self-destructing behavior.
I'm not sure I'd use that term. I found his behavior horrifying and that of a classic abuser.

vgerdes

I'm not sure I'd use that term. I found his behavior horrifying and that of a classic abuser.
I'm not disputing that, actually. What he did was absolutely horrendous. Firing him was 100% the right thing to do. What I meant by self-destructing behavior was that he brought it on himself. He has no one else to blame.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I watched Genie with Melissa McCarthy about two weeks ago. It's a Peacock original, and I loved it! I think it's a fun family movie to watch for the Holidays. I've actually watched it twice. If you get the chance, it's a good way to take a break, relax and enjoy!

watchthis!!

I was kind of surprised with Magic Mike's Last Dance. My memory of the last movie in the series (Magic Mike XXL) is that they went for a lesser storyline and just lots of half naked dancing. Last Dance flips that on it's head on goes big on story and very little dancing and less pecs and abs, etc. Everyone from the last cast is gone except for Channing Tatum (unless you count a handful of guys seen in a sixty second zoom meeting). Tatum goes to London with Salma Hayek Pinault who has asked him re-stage a stodgy old play whose sexist plot too closely mirrors the predicaments of Hayek Pinault's own life. The movie is still cheesy, but cheesy fun. I think Tatum has said this is the last movie of the series. Hopefully it will not be the end of his shirtless movie days. :grope: :lol:

I'm not disputing that, actually. What he did was absolutely horrendous. Firing him was 100% the right thing to do. What I meant by self-destructing behavior was that he brought it on himself. He has no one else to blame.

Perhaps societal structures such as classism, racism and sexism are additionally an area where we can point the finger of blame?

vgerdes

Perhaps societal structures such as classism, racism and sexism are additionally an area where we can point the finger of blame?

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but... no. Not in my book.

Getting back on topic: I'm planning to go see Wonka Friday night. I hope it lives up to the glowing reviews I've gotten from friends who went last weekend. I'm really looking forward to seeing Timothee Chalamet in a movie where he's playing a character with a bit more whimsy. Every role I've seen him in up to this point has been a bit on the dark and broody side.

Judy

I watched it too. Excellent acting but not sure what is true or not? I hadn’t realized she passed away too.

I don’t think sexual assault and molestation can ever be justified but they definitely had an unusual situation. Normally they don’t get married as adults 🤷‍♀️. I was kinda uncomfortable I guess … Bizarre but I remember all the media frenzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information