L'Equipe interview with Bruno Massot: "I would never have had that in France"

Sylvia

TBD
I thought @libecha's post in the Pairs Discussion Thread 2017-18--"Two Skating as One" thread earlier today deserved its own thread in GSD:
L'Equipe did an interview with Bruno Massot in today's issue that talked in depth about the background of the Olympic victory and it was a pretty difficult read: https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-art...sot-je-n-aurais-jamais-eu-ca-en-france/885594

He was surviving for 1.5 years on just 200 euros a month while waiting for his FFSG release, eating bread and rice because it was the cheapest and contemplating living in his car. He is happy to bring a gold medal to Germany because the DEU paid the rent on his studio apartment, found him some furniture, paid for him to eat, and paid for his training when he had nothing thanks to DG. He says DG will not be happy with this interview but that at this moment it is time to stop lying and say how it really was, to open people's eyes, and that since he is with Germany he doesn't have to be afraid of DG anymore.

I feel a bit sick after reading this.
Google translation of the free preview, titled: Bruno Massot: "I would never have had that in France"
Published on Monday March 19, 2018 at 00:57| Updated19/03/2018 at 11:21
By Sophie Tutkovics

Sacred Olympic champion in pairs with Aliona Savchenko at the Pyeongchang Games, the Norman skater does not really regret having taken the German nationality.

Born in Caen twenty-nine years ago, Bruno Massot participated last month for Germany at the Pyeongchang Games, where he won the Olympic title of skating in the couples category alongside his partner of Ukrainian origin Aliona Savchenko . Since then, he has chained galas in Switzerland before going back to train at his German base in Oberstdorf to prepare for the World Championships, which start Wednesday in Milan. "We will not be really ready, we will be very tired," he explains, " it's a bit of a bonus competition for us ..." In the meantime, in this big hotel in Zurich, he is surprised to find still interest the French press.

Bruno Massot, gold borders

"When you are on the podium in Pyeongchang and the German anthem sounds ...

(He cuts with a smile.) Of course, she had to fall, this question!

... what were you thinking?

Frankly, I had the same feelings, the same emotions as if it was the French anthem. But anyway, French anthem or German anthem, I would have been unable to sing because the emotion was too great. I feel very good in Germany, I am very happy there and I am more than proud to bring them this medal because they gave me a chance. And they accompanied me when we could not skate (competitions and galas) for a year and a half (pending the letter of release issued by the French Federation) .

But what did you think about the podium?

I can not really say what I was thinking at that time. There were so many emotions. There must be a million things that went through my head. I saw the flag of Germany go up and I was really happy. But I think I would have had the same emotion if it had been France. There are always a lot of people following me in France, especially in Normandy, in my city, Caen. I was happy for all those people too and, of course, for my loved ones.

Conversely, did you have negative testimonials from people who did not understand your change of nationality?

Some people tell me that I renounce my country, that I left my ...

----

If someone who can access the full article wouldn't mind sharing any additional tidbits, please feel free. Merci beaucoup!

libecha

Some other statements (I took multiple years of French so I think my translation is OK but it's coming from a copy that needs a magnifying glass to read clearly):
  • He feels that some of the people who accuse him of renouncing his country think this way because it's Germany, because of past history. But it's 2018, the war is over.
  • Yes, he is from a generation that did not live the war, but his family suffered losses like others. He feels this medal is particularly important to his father, that Europe is one continent, there are no longer borders. And there will always be people who will be unhappy with what he has done.
  • He wants to explain to these people that in sport it is not so simple. He had to decide which country would best help him achieve his goals. He listened to both the FFSG and the DEU, which would have the best life and the best training and finances. He had to live on 200 euros a month while the FFSG had him blockaded. The DEU paid for his studio apartment, his food, his training, his ice time, because he had nothing. This he would never have had in France, never.
  • He ate a lot of pasta and rice because it was cheap, also his parents and fiancee helped. He had to listen to his mother crying on the phone every time he needed to ask for money because she realizes he lives in these conditions and at 26 cannot support himself. The president of skating in Oberstdorf gave him furniture, because he came with nothing and thought about living in his car.
  • He was not unhappy because he had discovered what the DEU would do for him. In France, it is necessary to first have accomplished something then receive support, rather than receive support to accomplish something. To him this seems backwards.
  • It was very difficult as 18 months dragged on with no release. He trained and trained but had to wonder, why am I doing this? If it never comes, if I cannot skate in the Olympics, then what? I will never be able to show the world what I am capable of.
  • DG has congratulated him 2x on his medal. He is not sure DG will be so happy with him after this interview. But at this moment, he is going to stop lying and it's time to say these things. People must open their eyes. This is what he doesn't understand, because everyone knows what kind of person DG is, why is he still there? But now he [Bruno] is with Germany and doesn't have to be afraid of DG anymore.
  • DG demanded payment of 100,000, then 70,000, then 50,000, then 30,000 euros. But he did not know at the time this money was exchanged, he thought he got the letter and was free..
  • He knows there are people who put all the attention for their medal on Aljona, like he was not there, but he knows how he contributed so this does not bother him.
  • They will decide after Worlds about retirement. There is a lot to consider. He has problems with his back, Aljona also has problems. They have to decide what is best for them. But he will definitely not continue skating if Aljona retires.
Edit: A couple of very minor tweaks to the translation (pasta instead of bread, adding that he didn't know at the time that the money had been paid). Don't worry, it doesn't make DG look any better.

Last edited:

nimi

Thank you @libecha!
  • DG has congratulated him 2x on his medal. He is not sure DG will be so happy with him after this interview. But at this moment, he is going to stop lying and it's time to say these things. People must open their eyes. This is what he doesn't understand, because everyone knows what kind of person DG is, why is he still there? But now he [Bruno] is with Germany and doesn't have to be afraid of DG anymore.
THIS. :wall:

AAAAAAAAARGH!!! :angryfire

starrynight

Thank you for the translation. I remembered wondering how they were finding the will to continue during that period of exile.

Good on Bruno for speaking out about his treatment by the French Fed. I guess DG still has power he does because no one will or can stand up to him.

starrynight

Massot is no Trankov but to have come so far in a few short years is amazing.

The most impressive aspect of S/M is the way they open their program with that massive twist. In that moment they have everyone's attention. Their FS got a huge amount of attention during the Olympics from people who don't follow skating and I think that twist had a lot to do with it. I heard people talking about that twist in the lunchroom at work.

supergirl573

The most impressive aspect of S/M is the way they open their program with that massive twist. In that moment they have everyone's attention. Their FS got a huge amount of attention during the Olympics from people who don't follow skating and I think that twist had a lot to do with it. I heard people talking about that twist in the lunchroom at work.
And the twist being so huge is especially shocking given that they changed and they gather less speed that others who do it in the corner.

Quadjump

Bruno is such a lovely person and a real fighter. He stayed quite through his hard time although he suffered so much. This whole story is so heartbreaking.

The twist is massiv indeed. The height at this element brought so much to them. Without that they would not have gotten the attention they needed to be competitive so fast in 2016.

Just remember Aljona second choice would have been Alexander Enbert. Cannot imagine her to be as impressive as with Bruno.

Meoima

I have always been so disgusted at Didier but after reading this I couldn’t even find more words for him. I am so glad Burno got out after all the suffering. He of course has contributed as much as Alyona in this win. He deserves it.

nimi

IIRC Oleg Vasiliev was coaching in France for a year or two -- this was mid-to-late '90s I think, right before Didier became the President -- and liked it there but then suddenly FFSG had no money because it had just disappeared somewhere? And after a while Vasiliev was like, well, I'm not getting paid because the Fed has no money ATM and I'd like to get paid at some point so I guess I'll leave France and move to USA to coach? (I can't remember which interview or podcast it was where V talked about this episode but i remember rolling my eyes sooo hard at FFSG.)

And remember a couple of years ago when the Bombard company ended their sponsorship after they were trying to get FFSG answer some questions they had but received no response, which is why there's no more Trophée Bombard? Fun times!

So yeah, without knowing a lot about FFSG I'm ready to believe pretty much every negative thing anybody can say about that organization. It can't be just Didier, there's also the system & culture that's tolerating and enabling somebody like him.

starrynight

How long is France guaranteed their grand prix event? Would it not be better to transfer this to another country which has the resources to actually stage it properly?

I think it could be good to have one GP each season shift around between countries so other countries such as Germany, Italy, UK, Spain, Finland etc could have the opportunity to hold a GP event as a one off. A bit like how the Junior Grand Prix series is held in all different countries.

But that is another topic.

Do you think Bruno's comments will have any impact or will Didier remain in power for the long term?

steph28

Reading this story gives me chills! Aljona and Bruno were amazing at both Olympics and Worlds!!! As much as I was happy to see Aljona finally win Olympic Gold, my though immediately went to Bruno, who undertook the big challenge of skating with an experimented and sucessful skater such as Aljona, and lived up to the expectations coming with it ! Those tears at the Olympics were certainly pressure release and to read this story about their Journey makes me more happy for them! Thanks for sharing!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information