Ksenia Stolbova has a new partner?

Eislauffan

Yes, France and Russia could make a deal here. Andrei Novoselov returns to Russia and France receives Pavel Drozd. On the other hand Russia needs their good ice dancers. Novoselov holds Russian citizenship (he didn't get French citizenship AFAIK), so France probably could not block him the same way they did with Bruno Massot. In any case, Novoselov cannot compete for Russia this season as he represented France at Worlds and it is still a question if this project will work out. They need time so they will look good when they start competing. I don't think Ksenia will be happy with any mediocre result. ;-) Is Nikolai Morozov their coach? I am actually surprised that Ksenia really skates with Andrei Novoselov. She seems far above his level, but then Aljona was able to get Bruno up to her level ...

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Novoselov holds Russian citizenship (he didn't get French citizenship AFAIK), so France probably could not block him the same way they did with Bruno Massot.
They can. From Communication 2030 (the latest on Rule 109, emphasis added):

The ISU Council, following the adoption of certain amendments to Rule 109 of the ISU General
Regulations by the 2016 Congress, has enacted the following updated Clearance Procedure:

A. Clearance Procedure
a) A Clearance Certificate is required for Skaters in the following circumstances:

(i) any Skater (with the exception of Synchronized Skaters) who is not a citizen of the
ISU Member’s country, whom the ISU Member intends to enter in ISU
Championships, other ISU Events and/or International Competitions in the coming
season,

(ii) any Skater (with the exception of Synchronized Skaters) who is a citizen of the ISU
Member’s country and who has in the past represented another ISU Member
in ISU
Championships, other ISU Events and/or in International Competitions, whom the ISU
Member intends to enter in ISU Championships, other ISU Events and/or International
Competitions in the coming season.

This is because of all the small members who voted to reject Germany's proposal to limit the amount of time a member could hold another skater and require a release after that.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
If he can get her in the air for a decent twist and the lifts, they might be ok. Fedor's recurring shoulder injury has been one of their issues, but I agree it will have to be high quality or she won't go through with the partnership

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I’ m not one to be too focused on what country a skater represents, I like them for their qualities, but I feel that if the Russian Fed. Releases Drozd that they would be shooting themselves in the foot 4 or 8 years down the road. When it comes to Novoselov I’m :blah: the combination of him and Morozov doesn’t give me much hope for what Queen Stolbova can acconplish going forward, I hope to be proven wrong.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
If true, then poor Klimov, getting screwed out of another Olympic medal (team at least) by a partner who was "disinvited" for reasons still unknown. I hope he finds a partner and kicks butt.

Quadjump

I am not sure about Novoselov. His physical skills seem limited.🤔

Bruno was not an exquisite skater. But he had thrown/lifted Aljona into orbit from the first beginning.

Eislauffan

They can. From Communication 2030 (the latest on Rule 109, emphasis added):

This is because of all the small members who voted to reject Germany's proposal to limit the amount of time a member could hold another skater and require a release after that.

Novoselov needs the permit, that is correct. But the rule 109 also says that this permit shall not be "unreasonably denied". I think it will be difficult for France to deny the permit. Novoselov is not a French citizen and he was not brought up in France, he came as a "ready" skater to France. In Bruno Massot's case the French Federation claimed to have invested a lot of money in his career and therefore demanded a recompensation.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Novoselov needs the permit, that is correct. But the rule 109 also says that this permit shall not be "unreasonably denied". I think it will be difficult for France to deny the permit. Novoselov is not a French citizen and he was not brought up in France, he came as a "ready" skater to France. In Bruno Massot's case the French Federation claimed to have invested a lot of money in his career and therefore demanded a recompensation.
"Unreasonably denied" in whose eyes? Gailhaguet can pull a figure out of his butt and claim that is what he spent on Novoselov, and he wants it back. The ISU has proven time and time again that they won't get involved in a dispute and tells them to work it out themselves, so it's in Novoselov's "owner" Federation's eyes and hands, and Gailhaguet can stall for as long as he wants. That is independent of citizenship and has been for a long time.

It's ridiculous that the ISU doesn't require contracts up front before they will issue a release, with the contract spelling out what is expected of the skater, including finances and release, but that would be contrary to their hands off attitude.

Eislauffan

Nevertheless, having the citizenship of the country you want to represent makes is hard for a Federation to deny the release.
We'll just have to wait and see what happens with Novoselov. If he indeed will try to represent Russia again and if getting the release is a problem for him or not.

hanca

Values her privacy
I’ m not one to be too focused on what country a skater represents, I like them for their qualities, but I feel that if the Russian Fed. Releases Drozd that they would be shooting themselves in the foot 4 or 8 years down the road. When it comes to Novoselov I’m :blah: the combination of him and Morozov doesn’t give me much hope for what Queen Stolbova can acconplish going forward, I hope to be proven wrong.
The same what you are saying about Novoselov we all thought about Massot a few years ago.
Re: Drozd, at the moment he is a talented skater but he has a long journey in front of him and only time will tell if it goes anywhere. As a junior he was very good, but so were most Russian seniors and yet it doesn’t translate in their results on senior level.

hanca

Values her privacy
If true, then poor Klimov, getting screwed out of another Olympic medal (team at least) by a partner who was "disinvited" for reasons still unknown. I hope he finds a partner and kicks butt.
That’s not quite fair to say that he was screwed by her. The nature of pairs is that if one makes a mistake, they both are affected. So all their mistakes are their joint mistakes, and if one is not invited, it is also their joint problem. At this moment we don’t even know what they were disinvited for, and it could have been completely random. Any excuse to disinvite someone will do. So it could have been him as much as it was eventually her. Unlucky.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I don't think Stolbova would waste her time if she didn't already know if there was a good chance of a release. Just like Savchenko knew if the German fed was willing to pay the ransom for Massot, they'd be good to go. The fed just watched their progress for a year, then paid the money. If the partnership is promising, .....

I just find it very odd that there has been nothing from the Russian federation about a split of one of their top teams

Tinami Amori

neah... he had an option to skate at Worlds 2018 and medal, but chose not to because of injuries.

bladesofgorey

Observations:

yes, Morozov is the one working with them.
Novoselov and Stolbova appear to still be feeling this out. Novoselov appears to be strugging with his triples right now and may be relearning technique (going back to working with his technique on doubles). He's got beautiful lines and great height on his jumps though. Stolbova as far as I have seen is only performing doubles and might even be recovering from injury although that's just a sense I get and may not be true at all but that's how it appears. They look to be trying to figure out best how to adapt his throw technique to fit hers. If competition is a year off there's no reason to rush all this, but maybe both are still in the exploratory phase of whether or not this is going to work out, and if so that could be why there's been no big announcements regarding them.

Now I feel kinda like a creeper but figured I'd share.

Tinami Amori

I never said that it was because of Xenia, nevertheless, he didn’t have the option to compete at worlds 2018 if they were injured.
It's not you. my original comment was in reply to a post which suggested it was her who held Fedor back.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
It's not you. my original comment was in reply to a post which suggested it was her who held Fedor back.

Yes, but it was not about the 2018 Worlds, but the "scandal" of Stolbova being denied the ability to compete at the Olympics. Not that we know any of the true story behind it really, and who knows, maybe they would have been kept out because of Fedor as well. It just seemed unfortunate to me, that in a pair or dance team, one bad egg can make the other one smell as well.

hanca

Values her privacy
Yes, but it was not about the 2018 Worlds, but the "scandal" of Stolbova being denied the ability to compete at the Olympics. Not that we know any of the true story behind it really, and who knows, maybe they would have been kept out because of Fedor as well. It just seemed unfortunate to me, that in a pair or dance team, one bad egg can make the other one smell as well.
So far I haven’t seen any proof to show that she is a bad egg. Considering how little has been shared about the reasons for the decision not to invite them, in my view the powers wanted to punish Russia and wanted to avoid Russia winning the team gold. Bukin and Stolbova were unlucky that they were picked, but it could have been anyone.

Mad for Skating

Yes, France and Russia could make a deal here. Andrei Novoselov returns to Russia and France receives Pavel Drozd. On the other hand Russia needs their good ice dancers. Novoselov holds Russian citizenship (he didn't get French citizenship AFAIK), so France probably could not block him the same way they did with Bruno Massot. In any case, Novoselov cannot compete for Russia this season as he represented France at Worlds and it is still a question if this project will work out. They need time so they will look good when they start competing. I don't think Ksenia will be happy with any mediocre result. ;-) Is Nikolai Morozov their coach? I am actually surprised that Ksenia really skates with Andrei Novoselov. She seems far above his level, but then Aljona was able to get Bruno up to her level ...

I'm mostly just concerned about Morozov being their coach...girl, go to Moskvina, at least she will give you beautiful programs and she won't make you her fifth wife.

I have to politely disagree here. IMO Stolbova/Novoselov have a better shot at winning an Olympic medal (at least in the next couple years) than Drozd and his French girl, and Russia is gonna want all the Olympic medals they can get. They can at least ride Ksenia's reputation for some PCS for starters.

I really do feel heartbroken for Fedor. I don't think it's Ksenia's fault about the ban, but it's gotta be so hard on him. I can't help thinking of that team event silver every time I think of the 2014 Olympics. Can we petition for someone to make them some silver medals, like how they made a gold one for Medvedeva? Haha anyways, Ksenia and Fedor have plenty of silver medals to go around, but it's still really sad that politics came into the picture there.

I am not sure about Novoselov. His physical skills seem limited.🤔

Bruno was not an exquisite skater. But he had thrown/lifted Aljona into orbit from the first beginning.

I worry about Novoselov's twist technique, it's really no better than Fedor's. He is a bit taller than Fedor but I'm not sure if that will help. Anyhow, he's cute enough :love:

Invested a lot of money, but for some reason poor Bruno was homeless?

"Unreasonably denied" in whose eyes? Gailhaguet can pull a figure out of his butt and claim that is what he spent on Novoselov, and he wants it back. The ISU has proven time and time again that they won't get involved in a dispute and tells them to work it out themselves, so it's in Novoselov's "owner" Federation's eyes and hands, and Gailhaguet can stall for as long as he wants. That is independent of citizenship and has been for a long time.

It's ridiculous that the ISU doesn't require contracts up front before they will issue a release, with the contract spelling out what is expected of the skater, including finances and release, but that would be contrary to their hands off attitude.

Ah, right now I'm so used to Didier's shenanigans that I am already picturing how ugly this could get. Between Didier and the IOC, Stolbova/Novoselov do not have good luck with the corrupt Feds.

That’s not quite fair to say that he was screwed by her. The nature of pairs is that if one makes a mistake, they both are affected. So all their mistakes are their joint mistakes, and if one is not invited, it is also their joint problem. At this moment we don’t even know what they were disinvited for, and it could have been completely random. Any excuse to disinvite someone will do. So it could have been him as much as it was eventually her. Unlucky.

I agree, hanca. The whole thing seemed like a random "let's pick some Russian athletes to ban so IOC president Thomas Bach can cover his @$$ to the rest of the world and keep his job." It could've just as easily been Fedor. And pairs need to stick together in tough times, not blame each other for their misery.

I don't think Stolbova would waste her time if she didn't already know if there was a good chance of a release. Just like Savchenko knew if the German fed was willing to pay the ransom for Massot, they'd be good to go. The fed just watched their progress for a year, then paid the money. If the partnership is promising, .....

I just find it very odd that there has been nothing from the Russian federation about a split of one of their top teams

Ksenia is no fool, I think she must have some reasonable plan in her head about this all. When she was younger she really admired Savchenko so I think she is taking the same route.

There's never any good info on what's up with Stolbova/Klimov, I've learned not to expect too much. Welcome to the club.

neah... he had an option to skate at Worlds 2018 and medal, but chose not to because of injuries.

Tinami...at the time Ksenia literally couldn't walk let alone jump. Fedor might have his own health issues but even if he was fit as a fiddle, he wouldn't have been able to go with an injured partner.

I won't lie and say that Ksenia hasn't hurt their scores. Fedor is insanely consistent and I do think he could kick butt with a more consistent girl. But at the same time, Fedor is responsible for the low scores on twist; no partner is perfect. Blaming each other never does any good.

So far I haven’t seen any proof to show that she is a bad egg. Considering how little has been shared about the reasons for the decision not to invite them, in my view the powers wanted to punish Russia and wanted to avoid Russia winning the team gold. Bukin and Stolbova were unlucky that they were picked, but it could have been anyone.

I have my conspiracy theories on this. I agree it was an attempt to punish Russia. The IOC needed to look like they were doing something, so they picked a bunch of athletes to ban. They had to pick people who looked like major athletes, so they picked an Olympic silver medalist who was struggling with jumps and would be only a dark horse for a medal, and a guy whose dad was a former Olympian to give a low blow to the ego. It could've been anyone. The fact that it's been months and we still haven't gotten any answers from the IOC, Court of Arbitration, or the Feds leads me to think that it was all trumped up.

If he can get her in the air for a decent twist and the lifts, they might be ok. Fedor's recurring shoulder injury has been one of their issues, but I agree it will have to be high quality or she won't go through with the partnership

I've been rewatching videos of Novoselov doing twist with Esbrat, and it ain't pretty. They were getting level 3 on it but some negative GOE. And I think Lola is pretty close to Ksenia's size so the twist will probably be similar...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Mad for Skating

I'm sure WADA's and the deciding committee's biggest concern was whether Russia won the Team gold in figure skating.

I'm thinking the figure skaters were used more to send a message to Russia. If they wanted to ensure Russia didn't get the gold, I think they would've targeted Zagitova, Medvedeva, or Tarasova/Morozov.

Dobre

I have to politely disagree here. IMO Stolbova/Novoselov have a better shot at winning an Olympic medal (at least in the next couple years) than Drozd and his French girl.

The point is not the "next couple years." No one is winning an Olympic medal in the next couple years. Abachkina & Drozd could have the potential to bring home many medals over the course of a full career. Or . . . they could implode just like Abachkina & Thauron did quite often in major competition.

There's no way of knowing there.

I actually agree with DimaToe. But my guess is that there is no way Russia trades Stolbova because trading away an Olympic & World medalist would set a precedent the Russian Fed probably doesn't want to have to confront in the future. Theoretically, trading away Drozd seems more likely. But it's folly. There are not twenty more of him in Russian ice dance. It would, IMO, be like trading away Anissina. Very likely to come back and cost you big time.

Does Russia have the power to get both Novoselov & Abachkina? We may find out. Or we may never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information