Kiss and Cry - Ugly Cries or Meltdowns

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
They call the sitting area where you wait for the scores the "Kiss and Cry". I haven't ever seen anyone like cry ugly or have a meltdown while waiting for a score. Does anyone remember any skater having a particularly epic cry or meltdown?

Nancy's 1993 Worlds that lost the USA an Olympic spot was the closest to a meltdown. And here, she is fairly composed anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Sk7yBYl8c&t=8m45s

tylersf

Way, way, way back in the 60s or 70s, we saw more people actually cry ugly when they saw their poor scores after a bad skate. I remember some of the European ladies crying big time about their performance and scores.

There was one pairs performance that didn't go well. They were trying an original move where the female would sit on the male's knee during a pair spin. However, she fell off sideways and had to awkwardly recover from the move. I hate to say it, but it was pretty damn funny when it happened.

When they got to the Kiss and Cry, she was inconsolable about falling off his knee.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
I can't remember their names, but there was a short skater who had a really tall coach, and the tall coach had had a baby just a couple of weeks before skating.

The skater made a lot of mistakes, and as she was leaving the ice she slipped on a Swarovski crystal that had fallen off one of Carolina Kostner's controversial catsuits. The skater then fell right into her coach's chest.

Needless to say, a cascade of breast milk instantly cascaded all over the skater's face and costume. As a result, she threw a tantrum crying over her performance and also crying over spilled (breast) milk. The skater's mom--who was in the audience--filed a lawsuit against the coach within minutes.

tylersf

This sounds like a Misty Blades story.

I can't remember their names, but there was a short skater who had a really tall coach, and the tall coach had had a baby just a couple of weeks before skating.

The skater made a lot of mistakes, and as she was leaving the ice she slipped on a Swarovski crystal that had fallen off one of Carolina Kostner's controversial catsuits. The skater then fell right into her coach's chest.

Needless to say, a cascade of breast milk instantly cascaded all over the skater's face and costume. As a result, she threw a tantrum crying over her performance and also crying over spilled (breast) milk. The skater's mom--who was in the audience--filed a lawsuit against the coach within minutes.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed

My parents told me that story, after they bought a whole bunch of 60s and 70s albums full of 60s and 70s people. But I was too busy taking voice lessons from drag queens in the West Village, or was it the Castro, I forget. They taught me how to say, grrrl, oh snap!

Or was it my daughter, grandmother, niece or sister-in-law?

at least I wasn't crying in a bathroom at the Detroit rink.

gk_891

I remember Krylova almost had one at the 1998 Europeans after the free dance.

tylersf

I gotta hear more about this....
My parents told me that story, after they bought a whole bunch of 60s and 70s albums full of 60s and 70s people. But I was too busy taking voice lessons from drag queens in the West Village, or was it the Castro, I forget. They taught me how to say, grrrl, oh snap!

Or was it my daughter, grandmother, niece or sister-in-law?

at least I wasn't crying in a bathroom at the Detroit rink.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It's not on Youtube but Stephane Lambiel had a complete meltdown IIRC at the 2001 Junior Worlds after the free skate. He was in medal contention after the short and had a bad skate. I remember he threw a little fit and then went and pouted, basically hiding behind the curtain that separated the rink from backstage. He grew up quickly.

skatingguy

decently
Hasn't Kevin Aymoz had some epic kiss'n cry melt downs? I just can't remember what competitions they happened at.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
What was the professional competition where Oksana Baiul walked passed an interviewer who was about to ask her a question, and I remember the on-air commentator remarked "Well that was classy?" :confused:

Marco

There's the infamous Tim Dolensky story about him puking at the K&C. Marin Honda also collapsed at the SLC senior B K&C earlier this season after she finished.

I believe it was the altitude.

nuge

The only KNC moment that I will always remember is when Drobiazco/Vanagas lost to the Israelies C/S. They had crowns on their heads from fans.Their faces just dropped and the crowns came off:(

Then wasn't there some sort of petition going on amongst the skaters?

briancoogaert

I remember once Maria Butyrskaya didn't stay in the KnC after her skate.
But I can't remember when it was. Does anyone remember something like that or am I dreaming ?

reut

It's not on Youtube but Stephane Lambiel had a complete meltdown IIRC at the 2001 Junior Worlds after the free skate. He was in medal contention after the short and had a bad skate. I remember he threw a little fit and then went and pouted, basically hiding behind the curtain that separated the rink from backstage. He grew up quickly.

Internet remembers everything. ;)
It is on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjVMJUMzHLw

skatingguy

decently

MichaelK

I remember once Maria Butyrskaya didn't stay in the KnC after her skate.
But I can't remember when it was. Does anyone remember something like that or am I dreaming ?
I think that happened more than once. Definitely at Qualifying in 2002 Worlds. And I think she also left the KnC after skating badly in the free at European's 1995.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
The Kiss & Cry that I will forever remember was that of Barbara and Maurizio after their Original Dance at the 2006 Olympics ... including the death stare after Barbara's choke hold and Maurizio falling down. The Kiss & Cry was priceless.

2006 Olympics - Barbara and Maurizio

The next day wasn't much better, either - Barbara and Maurizio Cold Shoulders

Seerek

They had an oxygen tank after Nan Song completed his long program at 2012 Four Continents when it was held at Colorado Springs - altitude wasn't speaking well that week!

aftershocks

Banned Member
I remember more of the happy, feel good, victorious, overjoyed reactions than the sad meltdowns/ severe disappointments: Rudy Galindo 1996 Nationals upset victory; Michelle Kwan 1996 Worlds, 1998 Nationals, 2004 Nationals, etc; Duhamel/ Radford 2012 Nationals spine-tingling performance -- it's when I became a fan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b0ontqowZc it's what fs is all about; also D/R winning 2016 Worlds; Takahashi/Tran 2012 Worlds bronze medal unexpected win https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgnJ6eYgycA ; Todd Eldredge winning Worlds 1996 and placing his medal around his Mom's neck; The Shibutanis winning Nationals for the first time; Gracie Gold 2016 U.S. Nationals win; Richard Dornbush 2011 Nationals performance and silver medal; Ryan Bradley winning silver at 2007 Nationals; Jason Brown's 2014 Nationals Riverdance performance & his win in 2015; Adam Rippon 2016 U.S. Nationals win and his amazing fp in 2015; Shen/Zhao 2003 Worlds performance over adversity to win; Kayne/O'Shea winning gold at 2015 Nationals with two perfect performances; Cain/LeDuc winning 2017 Nationals sp; Tai & Randy winning Worlds in 1979; Midori Ito winning Worlds in 1989; Paul Wylie winning silver medal at 1992 Olympics; Brian Boitano winning OGM 1988; Scott Hamilton breaking down on top of the medal podium 1984 Olympics; Underhill/Martini winning Worlds 1984; John Curry's 1976 performance and OGM win; Toller Cranston's revolutionary performances; Dorothy Hamill's 1976 OGM win, plus her reaction to the crowd noise in Munich 1974 -- she ran off the ice crying, and then she marched back on the ice and skated to a silver medal; the roller coaster in ice dance last year at Worlds when Hubbell/Donahue were in 3rd place after the sd, and then Zach's shocking fall in the fd which dropped them in the standings; and more devastatingly: Debi Thomas' meltdown fp 1988 Olympics; Surya Bonaly crying on the podium and pulling off her 3rd back-to-back-to-back World silver medal 1995 Worlds...

Mixed reactions for me, but of course there was the Tara scream heard round the world at 1998 Olympics and Michelle's podium tears, but also MK's sportsmanlike reaction toward Tara; Sarah Hughes and coach falling out of their chairs when Sarah came from 4th place to win gold 2002 Olympics; MK's moving exhibition to Fields of Gold 2002 Olympics. Evan either forgetting or purposely refusing to shake Dai's hand during a GP award ceremony after Dai bested him for gold. Also the celebratory sticking out the tongue reaction like KISS frontman, by a female junior pairs skater that had her being reprimanded one year by U.S. fed officials.

Johnny Weir 2004 U.S. Nationals joy, upset victory (contrasted of course with 2007 U.S. Nationals when Johnny cried after coming off the ice and was comforted by coach Priscilla, while the camera was put on Evan backstage grinning and mugging). Wow, the network, commentators, and judges sure seemed to enjoy spinning out Johnny's agony for all to see. There's a two-part video of the aftermath. :duh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP8Y3kifXcU Johnny crying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaOH27tD03g part 2 results
Johnny now being an NBC commentator is the ultimate 'giving the finger.' :rofl:

James and Cipres have had some epic moments too.

Yep J/C have had victorious kiss 'n cry moments such as at Euros 2017 and WTT 2017. It was their problems during the 2015-2016 season (and the infamous kiss 'n cry squabbling moment at either a GP or B or Challenger event) that led to them turning things around with their current John Z/Barret/Fontana/Kerr coaching team in Florida.

https://youtu.be/ktxlFg-CkDY

It was the out-and-out wailing that had me :huh:

Oda was clearly overcome by some kind of overwhelming, hysterical emotion. It brings to mind Midori Ito's very joyful tears in 1989 as she accepted flowers from fans at the boards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKGasODrAcU
Memory lane...

Boy the packed crowd at Paris Worlds in 1989 is amazing! :eek: And jeez those fans at the boards pawing, pecking and snapping their cameras at Midori with her arms full of flowers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information