Katia Gordeeva remarried??

canbelto

It could be that she was married to a live human and constantly bringing up a deceased former husband all of the time could do weird stuff to a relationship? Now she and David are both on their third marriages, they are probably a lot more chill about things. And you're right, she didn't have social media at the time which makes birthday mentions and whatnot much easier now. What was she supposed to do in the early 00s, release a press statement?

Not to mention, she did write a book. And did a tv special. And Sergei would often be brought up in televised specials of Stars on Ice. But basically the widows expected her to wear widow's weeds for the rest of her life. Katia was only 24 when Sergei passed. It was only natural that as a young, good-looking woman she wouldn't stay single forever.

canbelto

Well he was still married so that probably had more to do with it. She did date a ballet dancer for a few years, and he definitely had no hope of an OGM. Girl's gotta have high standards I guess :lol:

Yes Igor Zelensky. He was a gorgeous dancer:

Amy L

Yes Igor Zelensky. He was a gorgeous dancer:

I never saw him perform in person but I was at the Marinsky theater in 2000 and the gift shop had postcards of their most famous former/current dancers. I bought a stack of Zelensky ones and sent them to my fellow snarky G&G fan friends. :lol: I've calmed down a lot from when I was a teenager but I'm still a smartass, I'd probably do that again now :lol:

canbelto

Sometimes when I see fluff pieces of a young Katia and Sergei, the way they dress and kind of look reminds me of the two main characters in The Americans. I wonder if the show’s stylists and costume designers modeled their style after Katia and Sergei.

Funny, I often thought that Keri Russell looks a lot like Katia and Matthew Rhys-Jones a lot like Sergei.

Kimkeb

I think Katia speaks relatively well considering it is not her first language. I also read somewhere that when she was with Sergei and Ilia they spoke Russian at home, which would make sense. Considering that’s she has only been divorced six or seven years she is doing well. David is from Quebec and only spoke French as a child. I will admit he has an amazing grasp of English and even understands all the humor. I would assume it is easier for a French Canadian to learn English than a Russian!

marininswife

How much life has changed in a few short weeks. I honestly couldn't care less now about Katia Gordeeva or Daria after they failed to show any compassion whatsoever on their social media about the human tragedy that is unfolding in Ukraine. Ugh.

lurkz2

How much life has changed in a few short weeks. I honestly couldn't care less now about Katia Gordeeva or Daria after they failed to show any compassion whatsoever on their social media about the human tragedy that is unfolding in Ukraine. Ugh.
I did not expect any statement from them considering that they still have family in Russia the same way I would not expect Nathan or Vincent Zhou to make any statement against China

Kimkeb

I think Katia speaks relatively well considering it is not her first language. I also read somewhere that when she was with Sergei and Ilia they spoke Russian at home, which would make sense. Considering that’s she has only been divorced six or seven years she is doing

well. David is from Quebec and only spoke French as a child. I will admit he has an amazing grasp of English and even understands all the humor. I would assume it is easier for a French Canadian to learn English than a Russian!
I have seen on social media that Katia’s daughter Liza opposed the invasion of Ukraine. I have some empathy for many Russians, because I do not believe they all support the invasion of Ukraine. Truly, Putin is crazy and has now banned social media in Russia and has made it a crime to speak in opposition to the war. She may be concerned for her family that still lives in Russia, because many Russians are slowly getting cut off from the outside world.

skatfan

I did not expect any statement from them considering that they still have family in Russia the same way I would not expect Nathan or Vincent Zhou to make any statement against China
Vincent did speak out last fall against China.

sap5

Judging a person on their social media is so weird to me. There are no rules as to what to post? Does she usually make political statements on it? If not, then I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s not making any such statements now.

ribbon

Katia has always tried to “both sides”, which I think is a product of her Soviet upbringing. For example, the My Sergei book was rather critical of coach Zhuk but any of her television interviews in Russia praises him. Her social media post on this last Olympics praised the Russian figure skaters for their hard work and dedication, which of course is true but also conveniently ignored the problems with the program.

But I’m sure she is upset about the situation. After all, last I knew, dear friend Viktor Petrenko was stuck in Kyiv.

mjb52

I wonder if a lot of them are just sort of in shock. It's been 17 days, which is a lot, but it also feels like my mind personally hasn't totally adjusted to it. Beyond it's being horrible, it's so senseless - like, what is the end goal here? It's hard even to process mentally.

moonvine

And finally ....just speaking for us in the US....who would you pay a bazillion dollars drive 4 hours..to see skate?

I’ve driven 2,000 miles to see Gracie Gold skate. Twice. I drove 1,600 miles on the off chance she might skate at Philadelphia International, though alas she did not.

I will be driving only 6 hours to Chicago to see her in the Ice Dreams tour. Very exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information