Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Maybe the degree to which you can control your own narrative is related to how much you need from other people. For example, there are many top actors (thinking Tom Hanks or Jodie Foster for example) at a point in their careers where they can not only pick and choose their roles, but pick and choose how much access people have to the rest of their lives. They need people to watch their movies, but at this point the work speaks for itself for the most part.

Then you have the Kardashians et al, whose brand is based on their own names (things like product lines came as a result of fame, not the other way around), who rely almost 100 percent on their audiences, so it's a lot harder to control.

So for Meghan (and Harry to a degree), it really depends on what they want. If she's happy with doing charity work that's fine if it's just her doing it. But if she wants others to participate, then she needs their buy in and willingness to take action, and she'll have to give up some control in the process. Even more so if she wants to effect social change as she has hinted at - then she's trying to control her audiences as well as her brand, and that's not at all easy. Look at the number of celebrities (and companies for that matter) who launch earnest initiatives, establish foundations, work hard for something they believe in, but when you take a second look down the road, they haven't had that much impact at all.

There's also a thing called reputation capital. If you've built up enough of it, you can often weather challenges may come down the road. For example, Bruce Springsteen just did a Big Game commercial (talking about trying to control your brand, don't get me started on the NFL and the Olympics!) that received some criticism, and then it comes to light that he had a DUI a few months ago. Is this going to hurt his brand? Likely not at all, because aside from legions of fans and his extensive body of work that has always been his primary voice, he's done enough good stuff that I think most will cut him slack.

Harry has a decent amount of reputation capital thanks to his charity work and a certain level of public fondness for him, but at this point, Meghan has very little to fall back on outside her core fanbase. Perhaps the two of them are using this time to get their ducks in a row, do quieter work behind the scenes, so by the time they are ready to (and can given the p*ndemic) go bigger, they'll have a rich story to tell that will establish the narrative they want going forward.

kittyjake5

I can’t link the article right now but Meghan has won her case against the Tabloid for invading her privacy regarding the publishing of the letter to her father.

ETA: People Magazine article

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Here's my thoughts: Harry never enjoyed the spotlight, so he was happy to step down. Meghan on the other hand loves being the centre of attention. She wasn't welcomed with open arms in the royal family and the tabloids were awful to her, so they moved to LA. I doubt even getting rid of social media would mean anything as Meghan will always want attention, one way or another.
I Meghan was ill-prepared for her role within the monarchy. I don't think she was prepared to be second fiddle.

I don't think Harry minded being second to his brother.

I don't think really realized that she was never going to be the star. A star sure. But always behind a bunch of people. But that is the reality.

mattiecat13

I always thought it had to be much more difficult for Meghan, who was a grown woman and had a lot of independence before she met and married Harry. For her, the transition to being a member of the royal family would be more challenging than for, say, Kate, who was in university when she met William and had years of "training" before they married and so had time to get used to her role and what as expected of her.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I always thought it had to be much more difficult for Meghan, who was a grown woman and had a lot of independence before she met and married Harry. For her, the transition to being a member of the royal family would be more challenging than for, say, Kate, who was in university when she met William and had years of "training" before they married and so had time to get used to her role and what as expected of her.
And this is why William encouraged Harry to wait for his engagement. Harry knew what was coming. As for Meghan, I think she thought she could maintain her independence and of course that was incorrect.

And she did not want to play second fiddle and that is just too bad. I don't think Harry had a problem with it ever. And Meghan thought she could turn the monarchy around. Sorry not gonna happen.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Now that we don't have novellas being posted over and over in both threads, is it time to put Harry and Meghan back in the royal thread? Or are they really not royal anymore? (I'm not good at remembering all the details but I think they are technically still royalty.)

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Now that we don't have novellas being posted over and over in both threads, is it time to put Harry and Meghan back in the royal thread? Or are they really not royal anymore? (I'm not good at remembering all the details but I think they are technically still royalty.)
They still deserve their own thread as they're technically no longer a part of the Royal Family, just my thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information