Judy Garland Fans

Rex

*shrug* to each his own. Musical remakes are rarely better than the original non-musical movies, and SATC is way better imho and (not to be sacreligous) but I also prefer Gaynor's version of A Star is Born. Sorry.

Garland's version of ASIB had too many long, drawn out musical numbers not really important to the plot. I find "Born in a Trunk" too long.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Garland's version of ASIB had too many long, drawn out musical numbers not really important to the plot. I find "Born in a Trunk" too long.

I love huge musical numbers. Born in a trunk was a little long but it was Judy so I liked it.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
If you've never seen this, you should:

Mickey Rooney talks about Judy Garland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny1TWLNewTs

Thank you for posting this; what a beautiful tribute by Mickey.

I haven't seen In the Good Old Summertime, but this performance is classic Judy.

I love this movie; it's full of stellar performances from everyone in the cast - Judy, Van Johnson, S.Z. Sakall, Spring Byington, and a brilliant turn by Buster Keaton. What a classic.

olympic

:confused: Really? It's not like the whole world doesn't already know about all that.

Skatesindreams answered your post, but I want to add that I think it has to do with how it will be portrayed, not that it's going to be portrayed. Like you said, everyone knows about it

duane

Judy looks so pretty in For Me And My Gal, but she is painfully skinny. The "Ballin The Jack" number...UGH! She had a great pair of gams, but they are nothing but toothpicks here.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I DVR'd a bunch of these movies & I'm watching them while I'm on the stationary bicycle. I did an hour this morning to Meet Me In St Louis & the time went by so fast. The scene at the end....where Papa tells them they aren't going to leave St Louis always makes me tear up. I thought Judy looked very pretty in this film but of course the wonderful costumes helped. The costumes in the scenes where they went to the fair were especially gorgeous. And the boy next door was so cute...I know he made a bunch of films but this is the only one in which I ever noticed him. Actually, I loved all the cast.

duane

Vincent Minnelli said Meet Me In St Louis was not a film of how things were, but how people (with a feeling of nostalgia) imagined things were. Excellent description...horse-drawn carriages, neighborhoods of vivid colors and huge victorian houses, singing sisters, house parties, kids playing alone outside at night with no cares or worries by the parents (love the Halloween sequence), the beauty of the changing seasons, Trolley cars...just a gorgeous, enjoyable movie.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
When I was a cynical young Army brat who'd lived in umpteen places by age 10, that movie's ending used to really annoy me. :) Like a dad could just say, "Oh, forget it, we won't move after all!" I would have found it easier to believe in magic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information