Johnny Depp's Dogs

Japanfan

I'm guessing cost. And just to be clear I'm not saying I agree with it, but an injection to the dog will be much cheaper than making all the necessary checks and quarantine (which I think would be 6 months if all the conditions had not been met for the country you leave from), or a flight back to the US. And who would you send it to if the owner shrugs and doesn't care?

But presume the owner does care - which I think Depp does, though still think it was stupid and selfish of him to bring in the dogs. Can't he have the option of flying them out of the country - after coughing up an appropriate fine?

Angelskates

But presume the owner does care - which I think Depp does, though still think it was stupid and selfish of him to bring in the dogs. Can't he have the option of flying them out of the country - after coughing up an appropriate fine?

That is the option he's taken.

antmanb

On the much more important topic of tim tams. I negligently managed to forget to try any when I was in Australia but from the pictures they really look similar to the UK biscuit penguins. Can anyone who's had both compare?

Vagabond

Wait...there are people boycotting Australia? By not buying Australian products? Like what, exactly? I mean, I could wholeheartedly try my hardest to ban all things Australia...but I'm pretty sure my life would not change in any way..

To be meaningful, a boycott wouldn't cover just Australian products (food and transportation machinery being two of Australia's big exports of this type to the United States), but also anything containing materials from Australia. Australia is a big exporter of minerals. If people really wanted to boycott Australia, they would have to make sure that anything they bought that contained aluminum, for example, didn't contain Australian aluminum. I don't think that anyone is going to do that. It's more likely they will just give up Vegemite. ;)

Now, if anyone wants to start a boycott of Johnny Depp movies, I'm game for that. :p

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But it looks like a cookie, not a straw! I'm so glad I'm not boycotting Australia over Johnny Depp. I absolutely need to buy some Tim Tams. Amazon has everything...I'm intrigued.
I have friends who are batty over the things, posting pictures of them when they score some on Facebook and talking about them incessantly. I keep thinking I should try some some day but I'm not big on factory made cookies so I haven't gone out of my way to get some.

It's more likely they will just give up Vegemite. ;)
They'd have to start eating it first. You can't "give up" something you never actually eat.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Iron ore is our biggest export industry. But that is dropping off anyway so it would be irrelevant.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
For some reason this thread is making me crave Vegemite toast. But I have no bread. :wuzrobbed

Not just Tim Tams! Iced Vovos, Lamingtons, fairy bread, Anzac biscuits...and apparently you guys don't have Mars Bars? What is this?!

Reminds me a little of all that silly fuss a couple of years ago where people wanted to boycott Australian wool because of crutching.

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
They'd have to start eating it first. You can't "give up" something you never actually eat.

Even if they did, they could just do the civilized thing anyway and switch to Marmite (THERE IS TOTALLY A DIFFERENCE.)

Oy. Most countries have drastically shortened the quarantine period from the US now that the rabies vaccine is pretty much universal for dogs in the US. Yes, it's annoying, yes, it's extra cost (like that matters to an actor making what Johnny Depp makes), but yeesh. Celebrities think rules don't apply to them.

Badams

To be meaningful, a boycott wouldn't cover just Australian products (food and transportation machinery being two of Australia's big exports of this type to the United States), but also anything containing materials from Australia. Australia is a big exporter of minerals. If people really wanted to boycott Australia, they would have to make sure that anything they bought that contained aluminum, for example, didn't contain Australian aluminum. I don't think that anyone is going to do that. It's more likely they will just give up Vegemite. ;)

Now, if anyone wants to start a boycott of Johnny Depp movies, I'm game for that. :p

I'm all for banning Johnny Depp movies. Sign me up!

Skittl1321

Well, probably anyone insisting they are boycotting forgot a few seconds after they posted their outrage.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
But it looks like a cookie, not a straw! I'm so glad I'm not boycotting Australia over Johnny Depp. I absolutely need to buy some Tim Tams. Amazon has everything...I'm intrigued.
I had to check out the TimTams -- was intrigued by the "nutritional information" tab on the Arnotts website with the following quote; "It’s important to know the nutritional information of the food you eat, in order that you have a balanced diet and all food groups can be part of a overall healthy lifestyle." Then I checked out the nutritional info chart and found out that TimTams average about 400 cal/serving -- with the double coat chocolate nearly 500. I don't even want to know what a Wagon Wheel is as that's more than 800! :scream: I guess it's just as well that TimTams aren't readily available here in the middle of the USA or my diet would be severely unbalanced. :lol:

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Good. I'd like to see an example made. But no doubt our pathetic "justice" system will just give him a warning and send him on his way.

No-one has the right to think they're above the law.

Japanfan

I'd like to see him get a hefty fine but think a prison sentence is a bit much. The maximum fine is pocket change for Depp, and the money could be put to good use in Australia I'm sure.

antmanb

I'd like to see him get a hefty fine but think a prison sentence is a bit much. The maximum fine is pocket change for Depp, and the money could be put to good use in Australia I'm sure.

If the maximum fine is pocket change to Depp, then isn't the message simple still - if you're rich/famous and can afford the fine, then do what you want?

Even a short prison stay of a week is more likely to have an effect on Depp than giving over "pocket change".

Angelskates

If the maximum fine is pocket change to Depp, then isn't the message simple still - if you're rich/famous and can afford the fine, then do what you want?

Even a short prison stay of a week is more likely to have an effect on Depp than giving over "pocket change".

ITA. If pocket change is not a punishment for him, then he should get a jail stay.

Japanfan

You make a good point. Throw him in the slammer for a month, then!

Angelskates

You make a good point. Throw him in the slammer for a month, then!

Personally rather than using my tax dollars for this, I would rather he pay a fine, and also do community service, though I'm not sure that option has been discussed. I would much rather keep non-violent offenders out of jail and have them attend classes, counselling, or give them community service (if possible, in an area related to their crime), or even all of this...

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
The end of 'Terriorgate' :lol:

*** Amber Heard and Johnny Depp do a stiff PSA as she pleads guilty in dog-smuggling case :

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...depp-guilty-dog-smuggling-20160418-story.html

*** Johnny Depp and Amber Heard debut a new, amazing type of celebrity apology :

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ebut-a-new-amazing-type-of-celebrity-apology/
Celebrity apologies are endlessly fascinating, partly because they’re generally so insincere — and also because they briefly bring egocentric stars down to earth. The world got a pretty special one on Monday.

After all, you can’t get much more humble than Johnny Depp and his wife Amber Heard forced to mumble their way through a video to explain why you should never disrespect Australia’s bio-security laws.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
It was really really strange. Like someone had a gun to their heads.

But it could be shown on any flights coming into Australia in future. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information