Joanne Conway update article

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Thanks for the article. Conway sported the same short puffed-up (hair sprayed) hairdo as coach Christa, Trenary & so many ‘80s skaters. Considered tres chic back then. It went along with the “Dynasty” shoulder pads.

antmanb

She says "since I stopped competing no British skater has touched that level." Literally Steven Cousins matched her record in terms of success: 4th at Europeans, 7th at worlds, and arguably did a lot better by finishing 6th at the Olympics.

Both Steven Cousins and Jenna McCorkell beat her number of nationals titles too :shuffle:

LarrySK8

She seems very full of herself, or is it menopause at age 49 that makes her so cranky? She was good at figures and a very mediocre jumper and free skater. A true 5.3 - 5.5 skater.

Sorry Jo. But thanks for the trip down memory lane, especially the 1988 Olympic SP and LP!

Maximillian

RIP TA
She says "since I stopped competing no British skater has touched that level." Literally Steven Cousins matched her record in terms of success: 4th at Europeans, 7th at worlds, and arguably did a lot better by finishing 6th at the Olympics.

Both Steven Cousins and Jenna McCorkell beat her number of nationals titles too :shuffle:
I got the impression she was speaking specifically of British women, but if it's more fun for you to be outraged by her comment, by all means go ahead...

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Conway was almost surely referring to the ladies discipline. Jenna might have won more British titles because of the weakness of her competitors. Joanne Conway, even with her nerve issues, performed at a much higher level than did Jenna.

antmanb

I got the impression she was speaking specifically of British women, but if it's more fun for you to be outraged by her comment, by all means go ahead...

Outraged? I wasn't at all outraged, I was just intrigued by her statement and even more surprised when I looked up Steven Cousins record and saw he had the exact same best placement finishes as Joanne at Europeans and Worlds. I also looked up Jenna's because I thought she came close to medalling once at Europeans but then saw it was that she came 4th in the SP at 2009 Europeans and then struggled in the free.

Fact checking does not equal outrage. Hard to believe these days I know :rolleyes:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I first became aware of Joanne when she skated well at the St Ivel International in 1985, then went on to claim the National Ladies' Crown ahead of Susan Jackson later that year.

It was only recently I saw her potential when @Erin posted Skate Canada 1987 on YouTube. Conway's free skate was excellent, and a mighty contrast to the horror show she endured 3 months later in the same venue.

To be fair, Conway appeared on the scene when the British press was hungry for the next big thing in skating. Especially since John Curry in 1976, Robin Cousins in 1980, and Torvill & Dean in 1984, all won gold for Great Britain at the Olympic Winter Games.

Replicating their success in 1988 must have created a lot of pressure on her 16 year old shoulders.

I've mentioned this before but in 1991, I really thought she should have won bronze at both Europeans and the World Championships.

russell30

That was nice to catch up with Joanne, I loved her style of skating, her 91 season was brilliant!!, she should have been behind bonaly and kielmann and took that bronze but Evelyn was the defending champ and 1st after short and her scores along with Patricia neske made jo to just miss out on that bronze. Heading into 92 season she was really a threat especially euros and her 92 free skate at euros was gorgeous, skating to a Michael Nyman medley choreographed by Chris dean, I think jo had injuries that year that spoiled her plans, I think she was considering to carry on as the 94 Olympics was soon, but injuries took there toll!!

She was right though she was dubbed the next best thing for British skating we were so golden then with John, Robin , Jayne and Chris, so there was a lot on her shoulders...from the British press...

Enjoyed her commentary for Eurosport, thanks jo...for your memories

floskate

Vacant
Well this got tetchy pretty quick. :lol: It's a local newspaper and who knows what actual context actually existed within the original interview? I can't really see her as world bronze medallist in 1991. Joanne herself said on UKTV that she and her coach Debi Monte (she had left the Fassi's by then and returned back to the North East here in the UK), thought the best she could do in Munich was 7th as there were 6 girls ahead of her with a triple lutz which she didn't have. She was landing lutzes in practice heading into Albertville but it wasn't to be. Had she managed to land the content she did in 1991 back in '89 when she had figures to boost her then I think she would easily have taken the 1989 European silver medal behind Leistner and who knows, maybe the title!

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I always think I should feel sorry for Conway because she was unlucky with some results, and she was nicknamed ‘Frosty Bum’ which let’s face it is a terrible nickname. But she does seem to wind people up with almost every interview she does so I never quite manage to feel bad for her :D I’m glad she is doing well though and is happy.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Not that I am defending someone I don't know, and am very unlikely to ever meet. But it must be difficult to be reminded of your failures instead of having your successes celebrated. Unfulfilled potential can be a terrible burden.

I thought that in the interview she was very realistic about her capabilities and what she did and didn't accomplish. It seemed to be the interviewer/reporter that was making the inferences about her being the greatest British figure skater of all time (in women's, maybe) and a medal contender at the Olympics. I didn't interpret the article as her saying those things herself.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Well this got tetchy pretty quick. :lol: It's a local newspaper and who knows what actual context actually existed within the original interview? I can't really see her as world bronze medallist in 1991. Joanne herself said on UKTV that she and her coach Debi Monte (she had left the Fassi's by then and returned back to the North East here in the UK), thought the best she could do in Munich was 7th as there were 6 girls ahead of her with a triple lutz which she didn't have. She was landing lutzes in practice heading into Albertville but it wasn't to be. Had she managed to land the content she did in 1991 back in '89 when she had figures to boost her then I think she would easily have taken the 1989 European silver medal behind Leistner and who knows, maybe the title!
Leistner's skating was so awful and campy, but kind of fabulous at the same time.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

Not to mention that the Kerrs and Coomes/Buckland actually won European medals in ice dance.

LarrySK8

What a sexist comment. If a male skater of the same age said something that you didn't like, would you blame it on his declining levels of testosterone?

If you disagree with what she says, fine, but the nasty personal gender-based attacks aren't needed.
Irreverent gender-based jokes are what they are!

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Leistner's skating was so awful and campy, but kind of fabulous at the same time.
She always had GOE +5 Wedgies!

I'm dying laughing that Jo's nickname was "Frosty Bum". LOL!!! Much more visually descriptive than "Human Zamboni"!! hehe. I'm surprised she didn't bring up that she was injured in Calgary Olympics. Or maybe she really wasn't? But I always liked her skating. And whenever I'm down on myself and feel that things or my life couldn't ever be worse I always look up her "It Don't Mean a Thing (if you ain't got the triple.... or double Axel....)" SP.

Last edited:

LarrySK8

I'm dying laughing that Jo's nickname was "Frosty Bum". LOL!!! Much more visually descriptive than "Human Zamboni"!! hehe. I'm surprised she didn't bring up that she was injured in Calgary Olympics. Or maybe she really wasn't? But I always liked her skating. And whenever I'm down on myself and feel that things or my life couldn't ever be worse I always look up her "It Don't Mean a Thing (if you ain't got the the triple.... or double Axel....)" SP.
and extra points for not reaching back and pulling the wedgies down. Poise I tell you, poise!

Frosty Bum is obviously bitter about how she is remembered, but we must recognize how good she was in figures at a young age under Carlo's coaching. Top 8 at Olympics and top 10 at Worlds.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member

I'm dying laughing that Jo's nickname was "Frosty Bum". LOL!!! Much more visually descriptive than "Human Zamboni"!! hehe. I'm surprised she didn't bring up that she was injured in Calgary Olympics. Or maybe she really wasn't? But I always liked her skating. And whenever I'm down on myself and feel that things or my life couldn't ever be worse I always look up her "It Don't Mean a Thing (if you ain't got the the triple.... or double Axel....)" SP.
This is a very old article but you may like the headline:

:rofl:

LoopCombo

She gave my sister and me our skating exams one Saturday in Durham as a guest instructor. This was in the early 90s. I remember thinking she was so glamorous — and so kind to all the kids, signing autographs and everything! We just loved her and were so proud of her, but were always sad when she fell in competition. She had amazing spins!

LoopCombo

Also, Debi Monte was our first skating coach! I still remember the day that she said to me, “I used to teach a little girl called Joanne Conway.” I was completely star struck. But then Debi stopped coaching us little kids when Joanne Conway came back to her. And then we saw Debi on TV in the kiss and cry. Amazing 🤩

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information