Joanne Conway update article

clairecloutier

That was an interesting article about Joanne Conway--thanks for sharing!

So, in another "blast from the past," my dad sent me this article about Elaine Asanaki, who competed in pairs for Greece around the early 1990s. It talks about how she started skating in the New York City area:

Today, Asanaki is a pediatric dentist in the next town over from me (who knew?). The video in the NYT article above shows her skating today at the rink where I've usually skated and where my daughter took lessons.

Judy

I have no issues with her or the article. I’ll have to look up some of her performances.

Btw as someone that grew up in the 80’s ... the styles are def different now for sure lol.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I was fortunate enough to see Elaine Asanakis and Joel McKeever compete for Greece at the 1996 World Championships, live and in person. Their skates weren't without error, to be fair. But I really liked the look they presented together out on the ice.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I was fortunate enough to see Elaine Asanakis and Joel McKeever compete for Greece at the 1996 World Championships, live and in person. Their skates weren't without error, to be fair. But I really liked the look they presented together out on the ice.

She and McKeever were a pair for a long time. They were at the 1990 Skate Canada!

There were several pairs and dance teams in that era like Asanakis and McKeever, who represented a country without much figure skating activity, but who were really enjoyable to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information