ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

airgelaal

I understand why many people try to think only the best of people. I myself was the same. But the reality is not so rosy.
I am sure that most of those who are silent simply do not care. They didn't care before, they don't care now. They were not interested in Ukraine either a year ago or now. They are only interested in their own life and their own interests. They don't care if Russia is at war with Ukraine or with Burkina Faso. Moreover, I am sure that not only people in Russia think so. But the citizens of Russia, first of all, can influence the policy of their country. Whether they want it or not and at what cost is another question. I'm sure most athletes don't want to change anything.
I am also sure that among the current athletes and skaters there are those who support the war. And they are silent only because they do not want to lose their international career. If suddenly soon they will be able to skate again, then they will simply answer, as usual, that sport is out of politics, so they will not talk about Ukraine. And kind foreign fans will believe that they are simply afraid.

caseyedwards

The skaters, of course. :rolleyes: I still expect Adam Rippon to provide reparations to Ross Miner for theft of his rightful 2018 Olympics spot.
The skaters are banned not just the country so why wouldn’t it be the skaters too? Russia could easily be banned and all Russian be independent participants

caseyedwards

:violin:Imagine a country with a history of cheating being banned 🙄
Russia’s name is banned because of cheating. All it’s athletes are banned now because of policy decision by its leader. So what are the athletes to do? Enter politics to create new policies for Russia

Japanfan

I understand why many people try to think only the best of people. I myself was the same. But the reality is not so rosy.
I am sure that most of those who are silent simply do not care. They didn't care before, they don't care now. They were not interested in Ukraine either a year ago or now. They are only interested in their own life and their own interests. They don't care if Russia is at war with Ukraine or with Burkina Faso.

You may be right, but I think a lot of people do care. Particularly because the situation has dire implications for the free world.

There have been lots of protests and demonstrations all over the world. My friend's 12 year old daughter was so upset about the situation that she insisted her mom take her downtown to a protest.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

Regarding RUS and BLR skaters:

a) Until further notice no Skaters belonging to the ISU Members in Russia (Russian Skating Union and the Figure Skating Federation of Russia) and Belarus (Skating Union of Belarus) shall be invited or allowed to participate in International Competitions, including ISU Championships and other ISU Events. The same applies to Officials listed in the respective ISU Communications and/or Regulations under Russia and Belarus.

Regarding international competitions in RUS and BLR:

b) Until further notice no International Competitions shall be held in Russia and Belarus. Consequently, the Rostelecom Cup 2022 in Figure Skating will not be included in the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series of the season 2022/23. Rule 104, paragraph 14 and 104, paragraph15 of the ISU General Regulations are therefore applied by the Council, Director General and Secretariat accordingly.

ISU Members interested in hosting the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event scheduled on November 25-27, 2022, are requested to contact the ISU Sports Director Figure Skating, Ms. Patricia Mayor ([email protected]), by May 6, 2022 in order to obtain the necessary details enabling them to submit an application to the ISU.

Regarding RUS & BLR participation in ISU Congress:

The ISU Council acknowledged the feedback from over 20 ISU Members who urged the ISU Council to also decide that the ISU Members of Russia and Belarus will not be permitted to attend the 2022 ISU Congress or other official meetings and seminars etc., and that candidates from Russia and Belarus will not be permitted to stand for election at the 2022 ISU Congress for any position.

Considering the fundamental rights of ISU Members as laid down in the ISU Statutes and in Swiss Law, the ISU’s obligation to ensure that the interests of all ISU Members are observed and respected, and mindful of securing the validity of the upcoming 2022 ISU Congress, the Council concluded that no such Council decision shall be taken at this time. Such decision shall be subject to a vote by ISU Members at the ISU Congress. Depending on the Ukraine situation and possible motions from ISU Members in this respect at the time of the 2022 ISU Congress, the ISU Council will decide at that time if such a vote shall be conducted at the beginning of the 2022 ISU Congress.

Last edited:

reut

Depending on the Ukraine situation and possible motions from ISU Members in this respect at the time of the 2022 ISU Congress, the ISU Council will decide at that time if such a vote shall be conducted at the beginning of the 2022 ISU Congress.

I guess ISU are crossing fingers that the war will be over till then and they won't need to throw Lakernik away.
Well, I definitely hope the war will be over. But I'd still prefer him to be thrown away. :D

reut

Such decision shall be subject to a vote by ISU Members at the ISU Congress. Depending on the Ukraine situation and possible motions from ISU Members in this respect at the time of the 2022 ISU Congress, the ISU Council will decide at that time if such a vote shall be conducted at the beginning of the 2022 ISU Congress.

I just have a small request. In case such vote is indeed conducted, can they, please, show before is starts a small video, containing:
  • photos from Bucha
  • photos from Mariupol
  • photos of ruined ice rinks all over Ukraine
  • photos of certain skaters with "z" on stage during fascist rally in Luzhniki
  • quotes from certain coaches about ice show on occupied territories

I volunteer to create such video if they can't do this themselves. :rolleyes:

MsZem

I see the sea
I just have a small request. In case such vote is indeed conducted, can they, please, show before is starts a small video, containing:
  • photos from Bucha
  • photos from Mariupol
  • photos of ruined ice rinks all over Ukraine
  • photos of certain skaters with "z" on stage during fascist rally in Luzhniki
  • quotes from certain coaches about ice show on occupied territories

I volunteer to create such video if they can't do this themselves. :rolleyes:
And then finish the presentation with N/N's RD from Worlds.

clairecloutier

The ISU Council acknowledged the feedback from over 20 ISU Members who urged the ISU Council to also decide that the ISU Members of Russia and Belarus will not be permitted to attend the 2022 ISU Congress or other official meetings and seminars etc., and that candidates from Russia and Belarus will not be permitted to stand for election at the 2022 ISU Congress for any position ....

Considering the fundamental rights of ISU Members as laid down in the ISU Statutes and in Swiss Law, the ISU’s obligation to ensure that the interests of all ISU Members are observed and respected, and mindful of securing the validity of the upcoming 2022 ISU Congress, the Council concluded that no such Council decision shall be taken at this time. Such decision shall be subject to a vote by ISU Members at the ISU Congress. Depending on the Ukraine situation and possible motions from ISU Members in this respect at the time of the 2022 ISU Congress, the ISU Council will decide at that time if such a vote shall be conducted at the beginning of the 2022 ISU Congress.

Here is a list of the current ISU Council members

And a list of the current ISU member nations

I'm trying to parse, or guess at, the politics surrounding this. It sounds like the Council was loath to take a decision against RUS/BLR participating in the Congress, in all likelihood due to threats from Lakernik of legal action from Russia if RUS/BLR were disallowed.

So the Council didn't take a decision. But I feel like they are perhaps challenging the 20+ Members to build a coalition by the time of the Congress that would enable a successful vote to be taken there to exclude RUS/BLR. (Which might be less subject to legal challenge?, as it would be a vote of the entire Congress and not just the Council.)

The current makeup of the Council, going by country only, is not suggestive of strong support for RUS/BLR. However, these people have also been working with Lakernik for many long years, so who knows what the personal ties might or might not be.

RoseRed

I'm trying to parse, or guess at, the politics surrounding this. It sounds like the Council was loath to take a decision against RUS/BLR participating in the Congress, in all likelihood due to threats from Lakernik of legal action from Russia if RUS/BLR were disallowed.

So the Council didn't take a decision. But I feel like they are perhaps challenging the 20+ Members to build a coalition by the time of the Congress that would enable a successful vote to be taken there to exclude RUS/BLR. (Which might be less subject to legal challenge?, as it would be a vote of the entire Congress and not just the Council.)

The current makeup of the Council, going by country only, is not suggestive of strong support for RUS/BLR. However, these people have also been working with Lakernik for many long years, so who knows what the personal ties might or might not be.
Yeah, my reading of that is that they aren't confident that they can legally exclude Russia/Belarus just by Council decision. But they leave open the possibility if the majority of the members vote for it.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I think what it boils down to is the ISU Council doesn't want to be subject to what happened with the FIL (luge) where their constitution doesn't explicitly give them the right to ban member federations from countries that have gone to war, etc, so they want the entire ISU Congress to vote on the proposal before they ban/suspend Russia and Belarus completely. This is a safer move that will save them the hassle of a CAS appeal going any further than the trash bin at CAS headquarters.

reut

I think what it boils down to is the ISU Council doesn't want to be subject to what happened with the FIL (luge) where their constitution doesn't explicitly give them the right to ban member federations from countries that have gone to war, etc, so they want the entire ISU Congress to vote on the proposal before they ban/suspend Russia and Belarus completely. This is a safer move that will save them the hassle of a CAS appeal going any further than the trash bin at CAS headquarters.
Yes, I think this is exactly that.
What I didn't like is the "Depending on the Ukraine situation" clause. Because even if situation gets (and hopefully till then it will) better I expect those countries to be suspended.

airgelaal

Let me guess: "sport should be above politics?"
Oh no, it's too easy.
There are 3 types of reactions:
1. They are all sadists, Nazis and fascists who want to destroy Russia along with the federation. We will take them to all courts!
2. We have the best skaters and competitions in the world. We do NOT need any ISU. We will come up with even cooler competitions, so go to hell
3. Who needs competition without Russian skaters? The entire world figure skating will die without us. They will apologize to us!

And, of course, the Russians are the most innocent of all.

airgelaal

As for me, this is very disrespectful to skaters and coaches from all over the world. As if only Russians work hard.
Let the Russian coaches answer their Ukrainian colleagues, what should they do? There is a war in the country and they lost their jobs. But they are not interested in other people's problems.
Tomorrow the skaters will have a meeting with Putin. Why not ask directly when it will all end? But they will not ask, but on the contrary they will thank him.

Dobre

Can we at least rejoice in what amounts to a confirmation that there aren't going to be any Russian or Belarusian skaters invited to the GP this fall?
Provided that doesn't change, it's a very real consequence. I think an even bigger one than losing two of the three berths for Worlds.

I'd estimate 7 Russian dance teams were high enough on the SB list this season to qualify for next year's GP. Three of those teams split, but three of those athletes repartnered, 2 of them together, & I think none of us would have been shocked to see Morozov & Narizhnyy wind up with one of those random, unexplainable invites. Then there would have been a host berth. As always, some of those super high SB scores for the Russian teams were in competitions where the scoring was ??? Scoptcova & Aleshin (who have split anyway) exited the Denis Ten Memorial Challenge with a higher SB than either Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen or Hawayek & Baker earned during the season. Khudaberdieva & Bazin were at the same event. Then there was the Warsaw Cup. (All very a-political, I'm sure;)). And that's without the three junior dance teams that would have tried to rake in points at Junior Worlds. That's a lot of lost experience.

Unlike some of the opinions here, I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian athletes returned after a lengthy hiatus to receive top scores. They pop up on the JGP all the time, and frequently get the scores without putting in the same amount of time and international experience as the majority of the field.

But high scores or not, missing a GP season is rough. It does a number on WS points. Plus, this is one of those super important years where the dance field shifts. Athletes medal that haven't had the chance to medal. Athletes win that haven't had the chance to win. And if you aren't there, someone else is getting that experience.

Karen-W

Provided that doesn't change, it's a very real consequence. I think an even bigger one than losing the three berths for Worlds.

I'd estimate 7 Russian dance teams were high enough on the SB list this season to qualify for next year's GP. Three of those teams split, but three of those athletes repartnered, 2 of them together, & I think none of us would have been shocked to see Morozov & Narizhnyy wind up with one of those random, unexplainable invites. Then there would have been a host berth. As always, some of those super high SB scores for the Russian teams were in competitions where the scoring was ??? Scoptcova & Aleshin (who have split anyway) exited the Denis Ten Memorial Challenge with a higher SB than either Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen or Hawayek & Baker earned during the season. Khudaberdieva & Bazin were at the same event. Then there was the Warsaw Cup. (All very a-political, I'm sure;)). And that's without the three junior dance teams that would have tried to rake in points at Junior Worlds. That's a lot of lost experience.

Unlike some of the opinions here, I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian athletes returned after a lengthy hiatus to receive top scores. They pop up on the JGP all the time, and frequently get the scores without putting in the same amount of time and international experience as the majority of the field.

But high scores or not, missing a GP season is rough. It does a number on WS points. Plus, this is one of those super important years where the dance field shifts. Athletes medal that haven't had the chance to medal. Athletes win that haven't had the chance to win. And if you aren't there, someone else is getting that experience.
I agree. Missing a season, across all disciplines, but especially in dance, is going to do a number on the WS points for all of those skaters. And missing two seasons would be devastating. Starting from scratch when all of the other teams have two seasons worth of points at 100% and 70%, the season prior to the Olympics would make it really hard to qualify more than a 3-4 skaters or teams for the GP in the Olympic season, except maybe in Pairs, where I expect Russia's teams will come back as strong as ever. Between the likely age minimum increase and losing at least one if not two or more seasons, Russia's going to have a pretty bleak outlook heading into Milano-Cortina.

Vagabond

Russian and Belarusian skaters and teams with Season's Best Scores in the Top 75. (Warning: I may missed someone.)

Men​
RankNameCountryEventDateScoreLevel
5Mark KONDRATIUKRUSISU European Championships 202214/01/2022286.56S
11Evgeni SEMENENKORUSXXIV Olympic Winter Games 202210/02/2022274.13S
12Mikhail KOLYADARUSISU GP Gran Premio D'Italia 202106/11/2021273.55S
19Andrei MOZALEVRUSISU European Championships 202214/01/2022265.69S
22Petr GUMENNIKRUSISU CS Denis Ten Memorial Challenge30/10/2021263.14S
23Makar IGNATOVRUSISU GP NHK Trophy 202113/11/2021257.20S
25Alexander SAMARINRUSISU GP NHK Trophy 202113/11/2021255.65S
28Dmitri ALIEVRUSISU GP Internationaux de France 202120/11/2021253.56S
42Ilya YABLOKOVRUSISU JGP Ljubljana Cup 202124/09/2021231.99J
43Gleb LUTFULLINRUSISU JGP Baltic Cup 202102/10/2021231.26J
53Egor RUKHINRUSISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 202117/09/2021223.29J
57Konstantin MILYUKOVBLRXXIV Olympic Winter Games 202210/02/2022222.22S
58Artem KOVALEVRUSISU JGP Cup of Austria 202108/10/2021221.51J
59Artur DANIELIANRUSISU GP Internationaux de France 202120/11/2021221.50
S
65Kirill SARNOVSKIYRUSISU JGP Cup of Austria 202108/10/2021216.70J
71Alexey EROKHOVRUSISU CS Warsaw Cup 202119/11/2021212.54S

Women
1Kamila VALIEVARUSISU GP Rostelecom Cup 202127/11/2021272.71S
2Anna SHCHERBAKOVARUSXXIV Olympic Winter Games 202217/02/2022255.95S
3Alexandra TRUSOVARUSXXIV Olympic Winter Games 202217/02/2022251.73S
5Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVARUSISU CS Finlandia Trophy 202110/10/2021233.30S
6Sofia AKATEVARUSISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 202118/09/2021233.08J
7Maiia KHROMYKHRUSISU GP Gran Premio D'Italia 202106/11/2021226.35S
8Alena KOSTORNAIARUSISU GP Internationaux de France 202120/11/2021221.85S
12Daria USACHEVARUSISU GP Guaranteed Rate Skate America 202124/10/2021217.31S
14Veronika ZHILINARUSISU JGP Kosice 202104/09/2021216.92J
17Sofia MURAVIEVARUSISU JGP Cup of Austria 202109/10/2021211.81J
18Adeliia PETROSIANRUSISU JGP Ljubljana Cup 202125/09/2021210.57J
23Anastasia ZININARUSISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 202118/09/2021206.20J
25Kseniia SINITSYNARUSISU GP Guaranteed Rate Skate America 202124/10/2021205.76S
26Sofia SAMODELKINARUSISU JGP Ljubljana Cup 202125/09/2021205.67J
36Elizaveta KULIKOVARUSISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 202118/09/2021196.83J
38Elizaveta BERESTOVSKAIARUSISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 202118/09/2021196.07J
43Mariia ZAKHAROVARUSISU JGP Kosice 202104/09/2021190.33J
44Viktoriia SAFONOVABLRISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2021 - OWG Qualifying25/09/2021190.29S
55Sofia SAMODUROVARUSISU GP Gran Premio D'Italia 202106/11/2021180.59S
64Varvara KISELBLRISU JGP Cup of Austria 202109/10/2021175.91J

Pairs
2Anastasia MISHINA / Aleksandr GALLIAMOVRUSISU European Championships 202213/01/2022239.82S
3Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOVRUSXXIV Olympic Winter Games 202219/02/2022239.25S
4Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitrii KOZLOVSKIIRUSISU European Championships 202213/01/2022227.23S
7Daria PAVLIUCHENKO / Denis KHODYKINRUSISU GP Rostelecom Cup 202127/11/2021212.59S
9Iuliia ARTEMEVA / Mikhail NAZARYCHEVRUSISU GP Internationaux de France 202120/11/2021205.15S
14Iasmina KADYROVA / Ivan BALCHENKORUSISU GP Rostelecom Cup 202127/11/2021193.58S
16Alina PEPELEVA / Roman PLESHKOVRUSISU CS Warsaw Cup 202119/11/2021190.93S
20Ekaterina CHIKMAREVA / Matvei IANCHENKOVRUSISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 202117/09/2021189.11J
21Natalia KHABIBULLINA / Ilya KNYAZHUKRUSISU JGP Cup of Austria 202109/10/2021188.84J
Anastasia MUKHORTOVA / Dmitry EVGENYEVRUSISU JGP Cup of Austria 202109/10/2021183.64J
31Ekaterina PETUSHKOVA / Evgenii MALIKOVRUSISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 202117/09/2021170.46J
37Ekaterina STORUBLEVTCEVA / Artem GRITSAENKORUSISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 202117/09/2021168.13J
42Polina KOSTIUKOVICH / Aleksei BRIUKHANOVRUSISU JGP Baltic Cup 202101/10/2021162.14J
43Bogdana LUKASHEVICH / Alexander STEPANOVBLRISU European Championships 202213/01/2022161.76S
45Ekaterina IUROVA / Dmitry BUSHLANOVBLRISU CS Warsaw Cup 202119/11/2021159.93S
50Kseniia AKHANTEVA / Valerii KOLESOVRUSISU JGP Kosice 202103/09/2021151.35J

Ice Dance
3Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOVRUSXXIV Olympic Winter Games 202214/02/2022220.51S
5Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKINRUSISU European Championships 202215/01/2022213.20S
9Diana DAVIS / Gleb SMOLKINRUSISU CS Warsaw Cup 202120/11/2021199.90S
12Anastasia SKOPTCOVA / Kirill ALESHINRUSISU CS Denis Ten Memorial Challenge30/10/2021195.06S
19Elizaveta KHUDAIBERDIEVA / Egor BAZINRUSISU CS Denis Ten Memorial Challenge30/10/2021186.80S
22Elizaveta SHANAEVA / Devid NARYZHNYYRUSISU CS Warsaw Cup 202120/11/2021184.43S
28Annabelle MOROZOV / Andrei BAGINRUSISU GP Guaranteed Rate Skate America 202124/10/2021175.32S
39Irina KHAVRONINA / Dario CIRISANORUSISU JGP Baltic Cup 202102/10/2021168.96J
43Vasilisa KAGANOVSKAIA / Valeriy ANGELOPOLRUSISU JGP Ljubljana Cup 202125/09/2021167.22J
46Sofia LEONTEVA / Daniil GORELKINRUSISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 202118/09/2021165.14J
52Sofya TYUTYUNINA / Alexander SHUSTITSKIYRUSISU JGP Cup of Austria 202109/10/2021162.28J
57Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKORUSISU GP NHK Trophy 202113/11/2021160.13S
64Viktoria SEMENJUK / Ilya YUKHIMUKBLRISU CS Warsaw Cup 202120/11/2021156.38S
65Olga MAMCHENKOVA / Mark VOLKOVRUSISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 202118/09/2021156.35J
74Ekaterina RYBAKOVA / Ivan MAKHNONOSOVRUSISU JGP Cup of Austria 202109/10/2021151.71J

A few thougts that come to mind:

1. I wonder whether the RFSF will allow all skaters who want to retire to do so gracefully. Maybe it will require some of those who would eventually like to compete domestically in order to help compensate other skaters for the lack of international competition.

2. Will the Russian and Belarusian Federations be able to stop skaters from switching Federations? I would think so, but the ISU haan't made this clear yet.

3. There are goiing to be a lot of frustrated Russian skaters, especially in Singles. Pair skaters and Ice Dancers might have more opportunities to find new partners and represent other federations.

4. Danielian and Petrosian are probably sendin out feelers to the Armenian Federation or vice versa.

5. Aliev has Azerbaijani ancestry. That Federation should welcome him with open arms.

6. Are Davis and Anabelle Morozov going to get new partners and/or join new federations?

7. Has Smolkin been able to establish U.S. residency that would count toward the five-year requirement for citizenship?

8. Has the ISU given any thought to what would be required to permit skaters from the Russian and Belarusian Federations to compete again?

9. AFAIK, Georgia and Azerbaijan would grant citizenship automatically to skaters who switched to those Federations. Armeniaa and Israel would do the same for skaters of the "right" ancestry. Are there any other countries that would offer a quick and easy path to citizenship?

10. The GP, CS, and JGP are going to look very different next season.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Russian and Belarusian skaters and teams with Season's Best Scores in the Top 75. (Warning: I have probably missed someone.)
Men, Women & Dance - I have the same skaters/teams.
Pairs - looks like you missed:
23Anastasia MUKHORTOVA / Dmitry EVGENYEVRUSISU JGP Cup of Austria 202109/10/2021183.64J

Pretty good review of the SB lists!
A few thougts that come to mind:

1. I wonder whether the RFSF will allow all skaters who want to retire to do so gracefully. Maybe it will require some of those who would eventually like to compete domestically in order to help compensate other skaters for the lack of international competition.
Probably. But have any of them stated they were interested in retiring? Apart from Trusova's Olympics meltdown?
2. Will the Russian and Belarusian Federations be able to stop skaters from switching Federations? I would think so, but the ISU haan't made this clear yet.
Depends on the ISU Council - they have the power to grant releases when the feds refuse. Would they? Who knows?
3. There are goiing to be a lot of frustrated Russian skaters, especially in Singles. Pair skaters and Ice Dancers might have more opportunities to find new partners and represent other federations.
No doubt - and we've already seen a few on Ice Partner Search.
4. Danielian and Petrosian are probably sendin out feelers to the Armenian Federation or vice versa.

5. Aliev has Azerbaijani ancestry. That Federation should welcome him with open arms.
The Armenian fed doesn't have any money, though, so Danielian and Petrosian would need to fund their own skating. Not sure how feasible that is. Same question for Aliev, in addition, has he stated whether or not he wants to continue?
6. Are Davis and Anabelle Morozov going to get new partners and/or join new federations?
DavSmo are still together (and vacationing right now per their IGs) and I don't see them breaking up. Morozov is now partnered with Devid Naryzhnyy and, interestingly, the RFSF posted on their IG a small feature about their partnership just yesterday. They've been training with the new Morozov/Svinin/Zhuk group in Moscow. https://www.instagram.com/p/CcyRG1lrgA7/ If the intent is to change feds, they certainly haven't expressed that to the fed yet - or the fed is making it clear they won't let them go without a fight.
7. Has Smolkin been able to establish U.S. residency that would count toward the five-year requirement for citizenship?
Maybe? They've been back and forth between Russia and the US since last summer but I'm not sure how much time they were in the US between March 2020 and Sept 2021, which could have affected any residency requirements.
8. Has the ISU given any thought to what would be required to permit skaters from the Russian and Belarusian Federations to compete again?
They barely just yanked the 2022 GP from Russia and haven't even touched the 2023 GP. I suspect that they'll let Russia and Belarus back in as soon as the war is over, regardless of whether or not economic sanctions have been lifted.
9. AFAIK, Georgia and Azerbaijan would grant citizenship automatically to skaters who switched to those Federations. Armeniaa and Israel would do the same for skaters of the "right" ancestry. Are there any other countries that would offer a quick and easy path to citizenship?
I'm not sure that Georgia would at this point in time. There have been a lot of calls in Georgia to end visa-free travel for Russians. Hard to say what would happen with figure skaters who don't even live in Georgia or have Georgian ancestry. Other countries that might offer a quick & easy path to citizenship - going off of countries that are 1) members of the ISU, 2) have welcomed Russian partners for dance & pairs, and/or 3) as well as countries that are more friendly to Russia in current times...

Bosnia & Herzegovina
Cyprus
Hungary
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyz Republic
Moldova
North Macedonia?
Serbia
Turkmenistan
Turkey?
UAE
Uzbekistan

10. The GP, CS, and JGP are going to look very different next season.
It was already guaranteed to look different just with the seeded skaters from Worlds not including any Russians or Belarusians, but eliminating them completely... Yeah... It opens things up a LOT.

Vagabond

It's all very easy to say that Russian and Belarusian skaters will be back "as soon as the war is over," but what does that mean? A ceasefire? A peace treaty? The payment of reparations?

Would there have to be something akin to twentieth-century denazification? After World War II, the ISU resumed holding its Championships in 1947, but Germany didn't send any competitors until 1951. (Italy started sending them in 1949.)

The question of whether Russia should be banned for state-sponsored doping and related issues is yet another issue, and it may lead an even longer ban on Russian participation in all Olympic sports, including figure skating, at the international level.

We shall see what happens..

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information