ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

skatingguy

decently
The ISU Council reiterates its solidarity with all those affected by the conflict in Ukraine and our thoughts are with the entire Ukrainian people and country. The ISU Council reaffirms its full solidarity with the ISU Members in Ukraine, the Ukrainian Speed Skating Federation and the Ukrainian Figure Skating Federation. The ISU Council will evaluate possibilities for swift humanitarian assistance to its Ukrainian ISU Members.

The ISU Council carefully evaluated the IOC Statement of February 28, 2022 as well as appeals received from ISU Members and others calling for a ban on the participation of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus in ISU Events and other International Skating competitions.

Following the IOC recommendation, in order to protect the integrity of ice skating competitions and for the safety of all the participants of international ice skating competitions, the ISU Council based on Article 17.i.q)i) of the ISU Constitution, agreed that with immediate effect and until further notice, no Skaters belonging to the ISU Members in Russia (Russian Skating Union and the Figure Skating Federation of Russia) and Belarus (Skating Union of Belarus) shall be invited or allowed to participate in International ice skating Competitions including ISU Championships and other ISU Events. The same applies to Officials listed in the respective ISU Communications and/or Regulations under Russia and Belarus.

The ISU Council will continue to closely monitor the situation in Ukraine and its impact on the ISU activity and will take additional steps if and when required.

Sylvia

TBD
March 1, 2022: https://isu.org/isu-news/news/145-n...ials-from-russia-and-belarus?templateParam=15

Following the IOC recommendation, in order to protect the integrity of ice skating competitions and for the safety of all the participants of international ice skating competitions, the ISU Council based on Article 17.i.q)i) of the ISU Constitution, agreed that with immediate effect and until further notice, no Skaters belonging to the ISU Members in Russia (Russian Skating Union and the Figure Skating Federation of Russia) and Belarus (Skating Union of Belarus) shall be invited or allowed to participate in International ice skating Competitions including ISU Championships and other ISU Events. The same applies to Officials listed in the respective ISU Communications and/or Regulations under Russia and Belarus.

ETA: Thanks to the Admin. for merging my “later” thread (I took a few extra minutes trying to come up with a title.)

Last edited:

manhn

This isn’t just about 2022 either. Let’s say the invasion lasts for a very short time (I hope!) and Russian skaters can compete next season, can Russia somehow secure more than 1 worlds spot for next year through alternative means?

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
This isn’t just about 2022 either. Let’s say the invasion lasts for a very short time (I hope!) and Russian skaters can compete next season, can Russia somehow secure more than 1 worlds spot for next year through alternative means?
No, they’ll get one for each discipline whenever they are allowed to compete again. And I think even if this is hopefully over quickly, it’ll be at least 5-6 years before we see Russians allowed to compete again.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Quota spots are earned by placements at Worlds from the previous year, so no, Russia and Belarus should not be able to earn more than 1 spot for Worlds 2023.

KaoriFan

We can always hope, but this seems like a more permanent fracture. You will not see Russian skaters against Western skaters again for a very long time.

pachelbel

We can always hope, but this seems like a more permanent fracture. You will not see Russian skaters against Western skaters again for a very long time.

I hope. We can see a battle of all the clean athletes at ISU-sanctioned events and then we can also see the doping freakshow at the Channel 1 Cup with all the Russians competing against each other. I'll be tuning in to both.

skatingguy

decently
I hope. We can see a battle of all the clean athletes at ISU-sanctioned events and then we can also see the doping freakshow at the Channel 1 Cup with all the Russians competing against each other. I'll be tuning in to both.
That event has been postponned.

pachelbel

That event has been postponned.

Yep! I sort of just meant that in response to the idea that Russians wouldn't be competing against the others for a long time. I don't think that will happen but it would be nice to see a competition with all the clean athletes going against each other and also having a competition in Russia with the "obviously clean" skaters going crazy with multiple quads and triple axels.

KaoriFan

Japan could get gold in 3 of 4 disciplines!

I have mixed feelings. Kaori has been skating against Eteri skaters, most of us have the same suspicion about all of them now. Somehow this will be the most fair result? But nobody would wish for situation like this.

Karen-W

They had no choice, but it's a very reluctant statement.
I agree. Nothing said about next season's events like the Russian GP.

But, thankfully, at least they did make this decision and did it within 24 hours of the IOC's recommendation instead of dragging it out further.

Japan could get gold in 3 of 4 disciplines!
As someone else mentioned, it sounds like Sui/Han will be at Worlds, and we know PapCiz will be there, and it is sounding like Nathan intends on competing, so I would say Japan has a reasonable chance at gold in 1 discipline and a 25% chance at gold in a 2nd discipline which goes up to 90% if Nathan bows out.

Japan could come home with anywhere between 3-5 medals though. Same with the USA.

Also, this is going to open up the race for top 10 in every discipline and make it really interesting. USA should be in a good position to earn 3 spots in Pairs & Women, and KOR will also be well-positioned to get a 3rd spot in Women. Which countries will be able to earn a 2nd spot?

shuilee

How many Russian athletes will start competiting for Azerbaijan, Georgia, etc? We know there are some that are anti-war. Will ISU let those who oppose the war to switch countries for next season?

I think RUS will be banned from all ISU/IOC competitions for many years. At least til 2026 (next Olympics).

leilaofpaper

ups the chance for Spain to get two spots in ice dance (even if it’s unlikely they’ll use them), helps the US retain three spots for women and get a third spot for pairs?

Karen-W

How many Russian athletes will start competiting for Azerbaijan, Georgia, etc? We know there are some that are anti-war. Will ISU let those who oppose the war to switch countries for next season?

I think RUS will be banned from all ISU/IOC competitions for many years. At least til 2026 (next Olympics).

Could be quite a few, though Georgia already has 3 men, 2 women and 2 pairs teams that are all pretty decent. I can't see the ISU allowing any Russian skaters who have competed internationally to make the switch immediately for next season. They are going to have to sit out at least 1 season, I would guess.

No idea what the IOC will do. They really should ban RUS for the next 4 years but I have my doubts it will happen or that CAS would uphold any such a ban.

ups the chance for Spain to get two spots in ice dance (even if it’s unlikely they’ll use them), helps the US retain three spots for women and get a third spot for pairs?
Spain was already in a great position to gain 2 spots next year but I can't see H/K continuing - Khaliavin has a wife and child in Moscow.

Good news for CAN also to retain 3 spots in Dance, which was looking rather dicey after the Olympics. I fully expect Georgia to pick up 2nd spots in Men, Women and Pairs. Italy might be able to finally snag a 3rd spot in Men. CHN could slide into a 2nd Dance spot (Wang/Liu were 12th in Beijing with 2 Russian teams ahead of them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information