ISU signs deal with Infront; Will EuroSport & CBC still cover ISU events this season?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
And if Canada can't get a deal, I'm not holding out hope that SBS will be able to get it either.

morqet

rising like a phoenix

Over 110 competition days will be live streamed with the goal to increase accessibility and visibility of ISU Sports worldwide, particularly in markets where there is no broadcaster. Although the live stream will be available in a number of countries, geo-restrictions will apply in markets where TV rights are in place.
The ISU will be publishing a “Where to watch” news with details of the geo-blocked territories ahead of each series and/or Event.

We might be saved!

Orm Irian

We might be saved!

Whaaaaaaaat? This actually sounds pretty good! (Even though I suspect it's a fallback they had prepared in case they weren't able to get deals in all markets...)

Thanks for catching it!

whiteskates

Geoblocked where I am. Lots of TV coverage on Viasat in Sweden but too expensive for me so no skating this season. I am so sad.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I also use an HDMI cable - for watching everything on TV (cable is not hooked up ) and it doesn't distort anything. What I see on the TV screen is what I see on my laptop.

I've done this before, too, and it works very well. My Vizio TV has a second HDMI port on the side, and my laptop has an HDMI port. I'm able to keep the cable with DirecTV hooked because of the second HDMI port. I select TV input on my remote, and then select HDMI Side. Then I just plug in using my HDMI cable, and presto! I can see it on my big TV! A couple of years back, I found a 30 foot HDMI cable at Walmart which is plenty long. I can leave my laptop on my long folding table and don't have to move it.

This would help anyone that is handicapped and can no longer carry their laptops around. I use my long folding table like an office desk. It's around 3 feet by 6 1/2 feet, and I found it at Walmart. I also have my all-in-one printer to the right of my laptop, and my U-Verse Internet modem is just to the left. I use Ethernet cable since it's that close to the modem, and it actually is better that way.

I have the HDMI cable where it goes behind my sofa next to the wall so it will stay out of the way.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I gave up on the CBC stream. The isu stream however is working perfectly in Canada.

This is the other reason I'm so furious about everything. CBC is providing a live stream in Canada but Canadians can still watch the Youtube stream but here we have nothing and we're blocked.

Desperado

Through Apple TV I don’t see a difference between the Gem (CBC app) and the Youtube ISU feed outside of a slight time delay. I just have an old HD TV though.

I take it back. The sound of the CBC feed is dreadful.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I am very disappointed in the CBC stream. The quality is terrible and it’s not even really full screen. And they can’t even caption the coverage correctly - they have the “ISU Grand Prix of Figure Shaking.”
I'm having no problem at all with the CBC stream. And it is full screen. Maybe it's your internet speed or something. And the full screen thing - perhaps there's some adjustment in your settings needs to be changed.

honey

Through Apple TV I don’t see a difference between the Gem (CBC app) and the Youtube ISU feed outside of a slight time delay. I just have an old HD TV though.

I take it back. The sound of the CBC feed is dreadful.

The sound on the YouTube stream was horrible too. I assume the streams are the same and it was a sound issue on the provider end.

Skate Talker

The sound on the YouTube stream was horrible too. I assume the streams are the same and it was a sound issue on the provider end.
Agreed - volume was going up and down at times. And what was with the amazing now-you-see-it, now-you-don't Technical Tracker? It was pretty bizarre and at one time even had an element listed with GOE before any elements had been done - I think it was for the Free skate of Denney/Frazier?

SeniorSk8Fan

Hi to all,

I am a new member. I mainly joined because I saw your threads about losing Eurosport coverage of figure skating. Like most of you, I have been reduced to watching the Grand Prix on the internet, which I don’t like at all. I’d much rather be sitting on the couch in my living room watching on a large screen TV and listening to Simon, Chris and Nicky commenting. Instead, I’m sitting at my desk, watching on a small screen and trying to read the score tracker (which isn’t always there or on time) and getting no commentary at all.

I’ve been researching what happened, and that’s how I found the FSUniverse Forum. It looks like you all saw it coming way back in July. I didn’t find out until it was time for Skate America and I saw that Eurosport had no coverage planned. It also wasn’t listed on the Eurosport Player schedule.

Anyway, I’d like to start a campaign to get Eurosport back. I’ll be posting addresses and phone numbers where we can write or call to express our displeasure. But first, a bit of history. This link shows the announcement of the new contract.

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/infront-completes-winter-sports-set-with-isu-deal/

I wrote to the ISU when I saw no Eurosport coverage, and they sent me this link:

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/news/news-fsk/12731-where-to-watch-isu-grand-prix-of-figure-skating-series-2019?templateParam=15

This link shows a summary of where you can watch ISU figure skating events. You will notice that a large part of Western Europe is not covered. There is absolutely NO TV coverage of figure skating in the UK, France, Germany, the Benelux countries, Austria, and even Switzerland where the companies involved are located. Kazakhstan, Belarus, Macedonia, Serbia, all have coverage. This is crazy!!!

I don’t know how much I can post on one message – all of yours are so short – so I will stop here and, if it works, I’ll post the addresses.

SeniorSk8Fan

OK, here are the addresses if anyone wants to contact the parties involved in taking Eurosport figure skating coverage off the air.

International Skating Union - They contracted with Infront
Avenue Juste-Olivier 17
1006 Lausanne
Switzerland
Tel +41 21 612 66 66
Fax +41 21 612 66 77
Email: [email protected]

Infront Sports & Media AG - They're not broadcasting figure skating in Western Europe
Grafenauweg 2
P.O. Box
6302 Zug
Switzerland
Tel. +41-41-723 15 15
Contact web page: https://www.infront.sport/en/contact

European Broadcasting Union - They had the old contract with the ISU that included Eurosport
L'Ancienne-Route 17A
Postal Box 45
1218 Le Grand-Saconnex / Geneva
SWITZERLAND
Tel. +41 22 717 2111
Email: [email protected]

And finally, contact Eurosport to tell them we miss their coverage:

British Eurosport: https://www.eurosport.co.uk/contactus.shtml

Eurosport Overall: https://www.eurosport.com/contactus.shtml

Notice how all those mailing addresses are in Switzerland, yet Switzerland doesn't have TV coverage.

Oh, well, back to YouTube to catch up with Skate Canada! Ugh...

Desperado

Is anyone watching the Gala through the stream? I’m using a VPN and it’s awful, choppy and the lights are reflecting badly. I’m going to have to wait for TSN to show it someday. :(

SeniorSk8Fan

This may not be a bad thing. Perhaps TPTB having to peer at Youtube will concentrate a few minds.
I've got a feeling TPTB don't even watch figure skating. In fact, I'm wondering if there are even enough figure skating fans to effect the market, or the bottom line, or profit, or whatever they're after. They don't seem to care that we can't watch it on TV any more. I've been following what's being shown on NBC in the US. For both Skate America and Skate Canada they only showed ladies and men, and not all of them. No pairs or dance. Might be better than the nothing we're getting in Europe, but not much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information