ISU has cancelled 2021 Europeans, ISU Grand Prix Final, World Junior Synchro; Stockholm Worlds still on for now

barbk

Has there been any statement about eliminating/relaxing qualifying standards for Worlds given all the competitions that were canceled?

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Posted earlier in this thread:
... the full paragraph [Dec. 15th Communication No. 2362 from the ISU Council] reads:

4. Procedure to obtain the Minimum Total Elements Scores for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021
Considering the limited number of International Figure Skating Competitions during the ongoing season 2020/21 and consequently limited opportunities to achieve the Minimum Total Element Scores, the ISU Council exceptionally agreed to adjust the procedure for obtaining the Minimum Total Elements Scores for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 by making it more flexible.
An ISU Communication including the relevant details will be published in due course.

(Good news for the newly formed teams this season.)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think it's nuts for the Victorian Govt to allow the Australia Tennis Open to go ahead.

All it takes is one idiot to flout isolation's strict quarantine rules, and boom, the state's hard work containing the virus in 2020 is immediately undone.

Dobre

We’re all talking about Worlds but who really think -outside the Russian bubble - it will take place?
Responding to this comment here because this discussion is already taking place in two threads and there's no need for it to take over the Russian thread as well. I am curious whether countries will change their selection processes if the number of Olympic slots comes down to a qualification or Worlds in the fall.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Responding to this comment here because this discussion is already taking place in two threads and there's no need for it to take over the Russian thread as well. I am curious whether countries will change their selection processes if the number of Olympic slots comes down to a qualification or Worlds in the fall.
Selection process for what? A fall Worlds/Olympic qualification competition? I would assume that, yes, some countries will change/revisit their selections. I'm not sure that I think Japan will stick with the three singles skaters currently named to their Worlds team if it isn't held for another 8-9 months. Russia has already made it clear that only the national champions are on the Worlds team - and I would expect them to keep their spots but the other spots will be subject to the test skates or some similar competition closer to the actual date of Worlds. I'm not sure what the US will do but I would expect something similar to the Russian approach to naming a team, especially with so few data points with which anything can be based this season.

oubik

Has there been any statement about eliminating/relaxing qualifying standards for Worlds given all the competitions that were canceled?
This will be discussed in next ISU Council meeting at the end of January as the main item (together with probable cancellation of Synchro Worlds - currently there is an on-line questionnaire to preliminary entering teams Federations if they are willing to come to Zagreb even with all those restrictions everywhere).

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I hope that the ISU is considering alternate host countries that could pull this off, even if moved to April.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I've found in life, that when things look really bad it is often the point that things are just about to get a whole lot better 😀
That's the spirit. And why not just adopt a wait and see attitude rather than gloom and despair? It's not like last year when people had event, hotel rooms and airline tickets booked. It it happens, yea! if it doesn't, it doesn't and everybody will regroup and figure out what to do about the Olympics.

Frau Muller

How about Russia! 😝

Ha! I was afraid to state that...but that may work for me & dear husband, as our son, who lives in Moscow, is getting married in early May right after Orth Easter)!!!! 🎉 Fingers crossed.....trying to work-out logistics of getting to & holding the wedding...regardless of Worlds. Wedding was to have been in July 2020.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I think this has been discussed, but would Russia be allowed to host worlds given the current sanctions against them for the doping scandal?

Frau Muller

My understanding was no. (Which leaves me ??? as to why Russia is still being discussed. Have I misunderstood the decision?)
Wishful thinking by those who’ll happen to be in Russia during the April/May timeframe. Forgive a giddy moment! 😉

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
My understanding was no. (Which leaves me ??? as to why Russia is still being discussed. Have I misunderstood the decision?)
Russia is contesting the CAS decision in the Swiss courts, so none of the sanctions are yet in place! 😉
I'd imagine that the objective of this exercise is to delay the sanctions so that Russia can go to Tokyo with their flag.
However, it is a risky business as the Swiss courts could decide that CAS was wrong to reduce the 4 year sentence to 2 years.

So for the time being Russia is still an option until the appeals are heard.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Wishful thinking or not I personally find it insane that people would suggest holding worlds in Russia when the only reason Sweden wouldn't hold it was because of covid... When it comes to covid response you can throw Russia right in there with US and China.

MsZem

I see the sea
Wishful thinking or not I personally find it insane that people would suggest holding worlds in Russia when the only reason Sweden wouldn't hold it was because of *********... When it comes to ********* response you can throw Russia right in there with US and China.
But when it comes to holding figure skating competitions during this time, the US has done fairly well so far.

olympic

But when it comes to holding figure skating competitions during this time, the US has done fairly well so far.
I think while hardly a set-up for fond memories of skating, SA with just skaters and no audience was the most optimal competition (were there judges present on-site?). Russia allowed for socially-distanced audience members, but no audience in an enclosed space is safer. I did not see Japan's competition(s). What was the set-up?

For a Worlds in the age of YKW, it's going to be a lot more complicated internationally. How do competitors and entourages fly in? It appears that in some areas, certificates of vaccination are going to be issued. Maybe that is going to be helpful

MsZem

I see the sea
I think while hardly a set-up for fond memories of skating, SA with just skaters and no audience was the most optimal competition (were there judges present on-site?). Russia allowed for socially-distanced audience members, but no audience in an enclosed space is safer. I did not see Japan's competition(s). What was the set-up?
Masks, some distancing, relatively large audience (by 2020 standards) that was 100% compliant with the mask requirements. Here are some podium pics to give you an idea. Obviously Japan is in much better shape than the US and Russia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information