ISU has cancelled 2021 Europeans, ISU Grand Prix Final, World Junior Synchro; Stockholm Worlds still on for now

Vagabond

The modern Olympics were originally established for upper class frat boys to get together for some fun.
I think that is a vast overstatement. Spyridon Louis, the winner of the 1896 Olympic marathon, "was born in the town of Marousi, north of Athens, into a poor family. Louis's father sold mineral water in Athens, which at the time lacked a central water supply, and Spyridon helped him by transporting it."

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
A lot of the revival of the modern Olys was rooted in 19th century reverence for all things Classical Greek (See: Lord Byron.). So not surprising that it had a lot of elitism built in.

skatingguy

decently
I think that is a vast overstatement. Spyridon Louis, the winner of the 1896 Olympic marathon, "was born in the town of Marousi, north of Athens, into a poor family. Louis's father sold mineral water in Athens, which at the time lacked a central water supply, and Spyridon helped him by transporting it."
Yes, it was hyperbole.

yurokis40

It looks like the best place to hold worlds is in Israel , Netanyahu has made made an agreement with Pfizer to completely immunize Israel by the end of March Pfizer, Eilat has a big ice rink in that mall another advantage its in the far south of Israel away from big population centers The israel skating federation would be up to the task.

MsZem

I see the sea
Does Israel have any policy on un-immunised travellers entering the country?
Yes, they're not welcome ATM. But exceptions have been made for some sporting events (e.g. Maccabi Tel Aviv in the Euroleague).

Anyway, Eilat is very nice for the Ice Mall Cup, but completely unsuitable for a major event. It's a mall rink (obviously) with no practice ice anywhere nearby.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
The 1896 Olympics were held in his hometown so Spyridon Louis didn’t have any extra costs in getting to those Games, such as transport or accommodation.

It is not a vast overstatement that participation in the Modern Olympics was very much restricted to those of means in the early years and much of it intentionally so.

starrynight

I think until sports became either a vehicle for nationalism or profitable due to television, they were just a past time and a hobby.

There certainly was a time when international level cricketers, rugby players etc all had day jobs and just trained after work.

A bit of quick internet research indicates that government funding of sports (on a small scale) only commenced in Australia in the 1950s. Then an Institute of Sport founded in the 1980s.

I imagine in many nations, government funded sports are only a relatively modern concept.

Last edited:
S

SmallFairy

Greta Johansson was the first Swedish woman to win gold at the Olympics. She won 10m platform diving in Stockholm 1912.

She was not from a wealthy family and was able to learn to swim and dive because the public sea bath on Stockholm was free for the working class. (Girls didn’t get any training or coaching though, they had to watch the boys and listen to what their coaches told them).

When Greta won gold, she was 17. Of course, she didn’t have to travel, since the games was in her hometown. She was able to get a few hours off work (iirc she worked at some office) to compete, then she had to get back. She went to Stockholm Stadion to receive a large trophy from the Swedish king, then she took the tram back. She recalled later people probably thought she was some kind of errand girl working for a jeweller, carrying an item from the store.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vagabond

While the athletes at the earliest Olympic Games were expected to pay their own way (even if that meant subway fare), the
medals table for the 1896 Olympics reflects that more than a third of the medalists were from Greece. Perhaps it would be best to see Baron de Coupertin's conception of it as Frat Boys vs. Townies, a.k.a. The Greeks vs. The Greeks. 🤷‍♂️ 🇬🇷 🥇

VGThuy

I was thinking about having a permanent site for the Olympics (one for Summer and one for Winter). Would it also ease the financial burden of the host site from having to pay for everything? Like if all IOC member countries chipped in to ensure all facilities are up-kept, and could afford to host...and maybe they could more actively try to contract events from multiple sporting federations to have competitions hosted there outside the Olympics?

I would imagine maybe they would look into ONE city to do both Winter and Summer since the Winter Olympics have moved way beyond small winter wonderlands that could host all competing sports on-site with many big cities now hosting it and having mountain sports take place many miles away from the host city, etc.

Last edited:

Vagabond

I was thinking about having a permanent site for the Olympics (one for Summer and one for Winter). Would it also ease the financial burden of the host sight to have to pay for everything? Like if all IOC member countries chipped in to ensure all facilities are up-kept, and could afford to host...and maybe they could more actively try to contract events from multiple sporting federations to have competitions hosted there outside the Olympics?

I would imagine maybe they would look into ONE city to do both Winter and Summer since the Winter Olympics have moved way beyond small winter wonderlands that could host all competing sports on-site with many big cities now hosting it and having mountain sports take place many miles away from the host city, etc.
As I suggested in another thread recently, it might be more feasible and desirable to have the Summer Games rotate through four or five hosts that will have all or virtually all of the facilities in place at any given time. The next two Summer hosts, Paris and Los Angeles fit the bill. IINM, the only new facility in Paris will be the Olympic Village, and Los Angeles doesn't even need to do that, inasmuch as it will be using existing university student housing, as it did in 1984.

It would be nice if something similar could be done with the Winter Games, especially since the environmental concerns are greater.. Salt Lake City had its Olympic events in a comparatively compact area and might be a good choice, though I am not sure how the athletes (especially skaters) would feel about competing at that altitude.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
As I suggested in another thread recently, it might be more feasible and desirable to have the Summer Games rotate through four or five hosts that will have all or virtually all of the facilities in place at any given time. The next two Summer hosts, Paris and Los Angeles fit the bill. IINM, the only new facility in Paris will be the Olympic Village, and Los Angeles doesn't even need to do that, inasmuch as it will be using existing university student housing, as it did in 1984.

It would be nice if something similar could be done with the Winter Games, especially since the environmental concerns are greater.. Salt Lake City had its Olympic events in a comparatively compact area and might be a good choice, though I am not sure how the athletes (especially skaters) would feel about competing at that altitude.
I agree with you on that. I think it's more reasonable to have around four hosts as it's easier to upgrade and maintain facilities. The problem is, will the other countries be willing to chip in too?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Having four hosts means you get the Olympics every 16 years. That's a long time to keep your facilities up and running. If we moved to this, then very few places would be interested in being one of the four unless they already had most of the facilities up and being used regularly. In particular, up-and-coming nations would be kept out of bidding to be one of the four IMO.

Vagabond

Having four hosts means you get the Olympics every 16 years. That's a long time to keep your facilities up and running. If we moved to this, then very few places would be interested in being one of the four unless they already had most of the facilities up and being used regularly. In particular, up-and-coming nations would be kept out of bidding to be one of the four IMO.
That's the whole point. No more white elephants as there were in Athens and Beijing. And I would rather see those up-and-coming nations spend their money on education and environmental protection than huge arenas and a golf course.

mjb52

It does seem like there is a building consensus that nations waste a lot of money hosting the Olympics in general in all kinds of ways, so it interests me why they still want to do it. I know they've had more trouble getting bids on the Winter Olympics (haven't they?) but interest in the Summer Olympics still seems pretty high. Is it just the prestige value that makes it worth the cost? What is the motivation?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It does seem like there is a building consensus that nations waste a lot of money hosting the Olympics in general in all kinds of ways, so it interests me why they still want to do it. I know they've had more trouble getting bids on the Winter Olympics (haven't they?) but interest in the Summer Olympics still seems pretty high. Is it just the prestige value that makes it worth the cost? What is the motivation?

Recently the successful bidders have been countries with IMO questionable international records in other areas who want to present a cheerful face to the world. And who have the $$$, or can assemble the $$$, to afford the bid.

It isn't just the Olympics that is having this problem either. There was a big stink in the football (soccer) world when Qatar got awarded the World Cup in 2022, given that it's not much of a football country and that the World Cup is traditionally played in summer, which is not the best time for outdoor sport in the Middle East. And there's other reasons too. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...the-world-cup-should-be-taken-away-from-qatar

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
That's the whole point. No more white elephants as there were in Athens and Beijing. And I would rather see those up-and-coming nations spend their money on education and environmental protection than huge arenas and a golf course.
Agreed, and it’s not about 16 years of sitting unused. It can also be used for say, worlds and annual competitions and if done right it can be a training facility too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information