ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2018/19 season

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
with a top fifteen potentially claimed by 3 ladies from Russia, 3 from Japan, 2 from the USA, and 1 each from Belgium, Italy, Korea, Finland, Kazakhstan, Germany and France,

Also HKG and SWI...may do better than ITA and GER this season. But yea we shall see how CAN Nats plays out...

Carolla5501

Except that Isabella Tobias didn't actually compete at the Olympics for Israel. :shuffle:

Chalk that one up to credulity -- both hers and her partner's.

No, but the original statement was she switched "to be" at the Olympics. She did switch to Israel "to be" at the Olympics as was evident by the immediate "that's it" to the team when they found out they could not go, it's not like her country pride had her say "well that's OK we can skate for Israel at Worlds"

J

Jeschke

Question:
Sima has put herself on 14th place on SB with her win in Tallinn today.
Assuming she remains Top24 until the end of the year.

Can she be chosen by any fed in the initial selection even if she does not get submitted by RUS fed?
Like Perkova did not get submitted but got a sub spot later; does it work the same in the initial selection?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Good question, although I don't think anyone that high on the SB will be "not submitted" or barred from selection. Leonova was in the the 30s I think, so perhaps she was just too far down the list- they had maxed out their 18 spots with 2 each for Radio, Med, Zag, Panenkova, Sotskova, Konst, Samo, Tuk, and Tsurskaya.

With this result, Serafima vaulted above Tsurskaya, Panenkova, and of course Radionova didn't compete. She actually goes also above Leonova, Konstantinova, Samodurova and Tarusina. Its so crazy that she doesn't go to Nationals (assuming something doesn't change).

Even adding in Kostornaia and Trusova to the senior GP mix, Serafima's SB is high enough that she should get 2, should she want it.

D

Deleted member 40371

Good question, although I don't think anyone that high on the SB will be "not submitted" or barred from selection. Leonova was in the the 30s I think, so perhaps she was just too far down the list- they had maxed out their 18 spots with 2 each for Radio, Med, Zag, Panenkova, Sotskova, Konst, Samo, Tuk, and Tsurskaya.

With this result, Serafima vaulted above Tsurskaya, Panenkova, and of course Radionova didn't compete. She actually goes also above Leonova, Konstantinova, Samodurova and Tarusina. Its so crazy that she doesn't go to Nationals (assuming something doesn't change).

Even adding in Kostornaia and Trusova to the senior GP mix, Serafima's SB is high enough that she should get 2, should she want it.
Shcherbakova will likely go senior as well ... next year’s GP submission will be very interesting

JasperBoy

Stayin inside

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Can she be chosen by any fed in the initial selection even if she does not get submitted by RUS fed?
Like Perkova did not get submitted but got a sub spot later; does it work the same in the initial selection?
Do we know that Perkova was not submitted? She wasn't guaranteed anything, and the Russian Fed could have let their preferences be known.

There were 17 spots assigned to Russian Ladies the initial selection, plus a TBD at Rostelecom Cup, which is the 18 maximum for a member in any discipline. Zagitova and Sotskova were guaranteed two each from Worlds. All of the senior women from all countries in the Top 24 SB were guaranteed one and got two in the initial selection, which covers Medvedeva, Tsurskaya, Radionova, Konstantinova, Tuktamysheva, and Panenkova.

That left two eligible spots for Russian Ladies: one went to Samodurova, who was SB 29 over Leonova's SB 30, and one TBD, which was eventually given to Samodurova. Neither Samodurova nor Leonova was Top 24 on the WS list, so neither was guaranteed one from that.

There's nothing in the GP Announcement that addresses names having to be submitted by the Feds, so whether this is a one-time deal for the entire season back in May, a May list for the initial selection, and then names have to be added as the season goes along, whether winners of CS events who aren't on the list need to be submitted before they're added to the alternates list, etc. isn't specific in any communication or announcement I know of.

Last edited:

toddlj

Where is Ting on the SB list with her score today? Hopefully this secures at least one GP event next season. We need to get her out there and not some of these other girls who had years to make a mark and haven't.
She'll be in 16th for now, needs to stay in top 24 after worlds/euros/4cc.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Sotskova could hang on for the GP next season based on her WS, particularly if she skates well at Golden Spin and picks up points there.

Going forward, there may be more Russians on the GP with 1 spot apiece instead of top 9 Russians getting two. Right now, based on WS and SB (which I know, will change by the end of the season), 12 age-eligible Russians would be guaranteed spots from the SB list with an additional 1 getting a guaranteed spot from the WS list.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Dianne de Leeuw never tried to switch federations. She always represented the Netherlands. Doing so allowed her to compete internationally earlier than she likely would have done had she represented the U.S. (She was nineenth at Euros in 1971, when she was fifteen. By contrast, had she competed at U.S. Nationals that year, she would have faced, among others, Julie Lynn Holmes, Janet Lynn, and Suna Murray, who were, respectively second, fourth, and tenth at that season's World Championships.

It was a similar story for Seattle-born Susanna Driano, who first competed internationally representing Italy in 1975, when she was sixth at Euros and ninth at Worlds but would have had to face Dorothy Hamill, Wendy Burge, and Kath Malmberg, all of whom finished in the top five at that season's Worlds.

Could you imagine if Dianne had competed for the US? If Hamill's autobiography is anything to go by, my guess is that she and her coach would have allegedly attempted to run Dorothy over far earlier than at the Olympics in Innsbruck.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
There needs to be one competition where the top 24 single skaters (men and women) and top 12 pair and dance teams are invited to compete regardless of country of origin. If there are 12 Russian and 8 Japanese, 2 Korean and 2 other women, so be it. I'd rather see this then the stupid world team trophy events.

Lacey

There needs to be one competition where the top 24 single skaters (men and women) and top 12 pair and dance teams are invited to compete regardless of country of origin. If there are 12 Russian and 8 Japanese, 2 Korean and 2 other women, so be it. I'd rather see this then the stupid world team trophy events.

Great idea--a mini Worlds, perhaps named in memory of Denis Ten, who loved the beauty of a well skated program.

patinage

This x 1000000. I have wanted to see this for a long, long time. I would even settle for just top 12 in each event. I assume you mean top 12/24 by season’s best score, or did you have something else in mind? I also would be okay with this being the one international event where juniors could compete against seniors, if they were considered to be top 12/24 by whatever measure (mostly this would affect the ladies event).

hanca

Values her privacy
I would like Europeans and 4CC to be 1-3 spots per country as it is now, and worlds to be the best in the world, regardless of the skaters’ nationality. If it means 12 Russian and 12 Japanese ladies, or 10 Canadian and 10 US dance teams, I wouldn’t mind.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I would like Europeans and 4CC to be 1-3 spots per country as it is now, and worlds to be the best in the world, regardless of the skaters’ nationality. If it means 12 Russian and 12 Japanese ladies, or 10 Canadian and 10 US dance teams, I wouldn’t mind.
I wouldn’t mind a score cutoff and no country limit for Worlds, maybe based on the combined score from their two best qualifying comps. Take the top 36 singles, top 24 pairs, and top 30 dance teams with the same cuts to 24, 16 and 20 after the free.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I think the minimums requirement has solved the problem of having really low-skill skaters at Worlds. I want to see the skaters from smaller federations because those places need a skating culture when a Denis Ten or Javy comes along.

I like watching Russian and Japanese Nationals but that’s not the point of Worlds.

SamuraiK

This x 1000000. I have wanted to see this for a long, long time. I would even settle for just top 12 in each event. I assume you mean top 12/24 by season’s best score, or did you have something else in mind? I also would be okay with this being the one international event where juniors could compete against seniors, if they were considered to be top 12/24 by whatever measure (mostly this would affect the ladies event).

I love this idea. But doubt it will happen anytime soon.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I would love an event with the top skaters in the world without entry limits as well, but it’s never going to happen with Worlds, and I don’t know that skaters would stay in top shape for an event in April, around the time when WTT takes place. You’d be inviting some skaters that possibly haven’t competed since December, and maybe the skaters who delivered at Worlds would be on a little bit of a lull following the event/trying to keep that level. Then you’d have the idea (and reality) that this competition is actually tougher to win than Worlds or the Olympics.

Colonel Green

I think the minimums requirement has solved the problem of having really low-skill skaters at Worlds. I want to see the skaters from smaller federations because those places need a skating culture when a Denis Ten or Javy comes along.

I like watching Russian and Japanese Nationals but that’s not the point of Worlds.
Yeah, at a time when we want to broaden skating's reach as much as possible, effectively cutting a lot of countries out of representation at Worlds doesn't do the sport any favours.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Change GPF to be the top 12 based on score and not placement in the GP events?

Will never work either. The technical panels are not the same between events and therefore, as we are told, you can’t compare scores. It also goes back to the event taking too much time. A top 12 would be three warm-up groups in both pairs and dance, meaning an ice resurfacing each time, and the event would take more days to complete.

Rob

Beach Bum
Will never work either. The technical panels are not the same between events and therefore, as we are told, you can’t compare scores. It also goes back to the event taking too much time. A top 12 would be three warm-up groups in both pairs and dance, meaning an ice resurfacing each time, and the event would take more days to complete.
True, but placement can be just as erratic depending on the strength/weakness of the event. But yes, it would take too long for what it is -- as much time as the individual GP events, plus juniors, but one could wish.

D

Deleted member 40371

Add to that the complaint will be that the technical controller at Cup of Russia or GP of Canada was too lenient and hence scores where higher at these events. There will be bucket load of complaint as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information