Israeli Skating News

reut

That was a really nice interview Reut. He comes across very well and great to hear that he really enjoyed his Olympic experience especially after all his hard work in getting Israel there.

Actually I didn't really plan to talk to him, I happened to be near the mixed zone and then decided to just tell him how great it is that he continues, but he was suddenly so chatty. And he is lovely positive person in general, always a joy to have a conversation with. He continued talking even after I switched off the recorder. :) Told, for example, that he was very surprised when he got recognised in Israel. He was at his mother's hometown, Netanya, went to his bank and then one lady there was like: "Noooo, is that really you?!" He was sure she was talking about someone else at first. People here don't really follow skating and don't really follow Winter Olympics even, but he was second at the team event after the short with his "Hava Nagila", and it made news here (some posters on social media were even sure he got silver at Olympics. :D I was tired to correct everyone who was wrong on the Internet that day :rolleyes:). And so apparently people now recognise him.

I seen his SP for the first time at Skate America last night, it really works for him I only wish they went with the Hebrew version. One of my favourite Eurovision songs.

There are other Harel Skaat's songs I love much more, but that one is also great (unfortunately live performance at Eurovision was not good at all and he was out of tune, something I never heard him doing before or after that :( ). Alexey said that Hebrew version is the one he loves and listens to, but maybe Galit's suggestion to take the version with the lyrics people can understand made sense?

fan

There are other Harel Skaat's songs I love much more, but that one is also great (unfortunately live performance at Eurovision was not good at all and he was out of tune, something I never heard him doing before or after that :( ). Alexey said that Hebrew version is the one he loves and listens to, but maybe Galit's suggestion to take the version with the lyrics people can understand made sense?
I also love skaat - he has a beautiful pure voice. Here’s one of my favourites for all of you doubters:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4C9_TL-WS64 (Not an original, an Israeli classic)

Or this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJ45m_jzFY

reut

So it is that time of the year when coming to FS competition takes me less than an hour.
Unfortunately I could come only today and came quite late, couldn't leave work earlier. But I will have some photos to publish on AS at some point.

Israel Olympic Committee's FB posted some nice photos:
https://www.facebook.com/IsraelOlympicCommittee/posts/2735536629840564?__tn__=-R
https://www.facebook.com/IsraelOlympicCommittee/posts/2736753353052225?__tn__=-R (young boy on the photos is Nikita Kovalenko who will represent Israel in Lausanne at Youth Olympics)
https://www.facebook.com/IsraelOlympicCommittee/posts/2733234526737441?__tn__=-R (Shira Ichilov and her new partner Laurent Abecassis)

I had a breif talk with Shira. She is very pleased with her new partner, says it's for the best. Laurent was injured after Lake Placid, was undergoing treatment in Israel, should be back in US in the coming week or two, they hope to get technical minimums at Bavarian Open and to come to Worlds. He seems like a lovely boy, talked to him a bit too.

Daniel Samohin is still injured (that same injury which forced him to withdraw in Moscow). He mentioned "they" (federation? Boris?) said he still "had to" come to Zagreb and to Nats, which is unfortunate because he needs more time to heal. Injury is something connected to his knee, he explained, but I didn't quite understand. It hurts both in take off and in landing of the jump, sometimes the leg holds and sometimes it doesn't and he falls. He hopes to have some time to heal now. It is still not clear which two out of the three will go to Euros (as reigning National champion is now Mark Gorodnitsky which means close to nothing but still).

MsZem

I see the sea
Daniel Samohin is still injured (that same injury which forced him to withdraw in Moscow). He mentioned "they" (federation? Boris?) said he still "had to" come to Zagreb and to Nats, which is unfortunate because he needs more time to heal. Injury is something connected to his knee, he explained, but I didn't quite understand. It hurts both in take off and in landing of the jump, sometimes the leg holds and sometimes it doesn't and he falls. He hopes to have some time to heal now. It is still not clear which two out of the three will go to Euros (as reigning National champion is now Mark Gorodnitsky which means close to nothing but still).
If this is true, that's just completely irresponsible. There's no reason to have a skater risk aggravating an injury in order to compete at a challenger event and Israeli Nationals (which aren't exactly a high profile event). Let the poor guy heal and sort out whatever's the matter with him.

Dobre

Daniel's problem could be that he didn't have a clear argument over the other two guys heading into Nationals. I mean if the Israeli Federation has a firm policy against accepting medical byes, that's not a good thing. But if they told him, his results this season were not good enough for him to earn one without competing at Nationals for it, that could just be a matter of honesty.

reut

What didn't make sense even more it that at the end of the event they had a "jump competition" (not sure what for really and I didn't quite get the rules to tell the truth), so Daniel had to take part in that one too.
Maybe not going to Euros and having time to heal completely will be for the best.

Sylvia

TBD
Lev Vinokur debuted his Vivaldi SP at the Army of Skaters test event in Moscow earlier today (captured from the livestream):

(Happily for him, his 2019 JGP Riga videos can still be watched on the ISU JGP channel even though his results were deleted.)

ETA that Vinokur kept his 2019-20 FS music to Rossini's The Barber of Seville (thanks to @DobrinFan for his Moscow test skate video below).

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Irina Manaenkova who was 13th in Moscow competition last year is now skating in junior ladies. I don't know whether it's an international cup and she represents Russia or a local only competition and then she erm.. .switched countries to be beaten by 2 local kids?

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I sometimes wonder if he has a business of finding and flipping partners, as in real estate. There’s probably an enrollment fee...
This is getting to be beyond ridiculous!
I think that would be plausible if any of his partners continued as pairs skaters after he was done with them.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I think that would be plausible if any of his partners continued as pairs skaters after he was done with them.
Yeah, he just flips them out of the sport & pockets the fee paid by Rich Daddy, ROTFL! Daughter can claim the cool experience of having skated in some international event, on TV! 😝

starrynight

So is Krasnopolski like a partner for hire?

I am just astonished at his ability to keep getting new partners. Particularly when an inability to find a partner is what pushes a lot of people out of pairs.

Why the switch this time? Did his previous partner have citizenship?

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

Yes. They skated together at the last Olympics.
I think that was the partner before last: Paige Conners.
Since then (2019), he has skated with Anna Vernikov. She had competed for the US until teaming up with Krasnopolski, so perhaps she doesn't have citizenship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information