In search of (more) interesting articles

MsZem

I see the sea
You GOTTA read this. An alternative paper in Portland, OR (attn @Zemgirl) -- after the police/DA claimed they had a right to go through people's garbage in making criminal cases -- went through the garbage of the Mayor, DA and police chief.
Of course they did ;) I love Oregon and always will.

I have to admit, that's a great way of demonstrating that public officials are willing to do things to others that they really, really don't want done to them. Though I could have done without the complete garbage inventory.

gkelly

You GOTTA read this. An alternative paper in Portland, OR (attn @Zemgirl) -- after the police/DA claimed they had a right to go through people's garbage in making criminal cases -- went through the garbage of the Mayor, DA and police chief. This is totally hilarious but the underlying reasoning is serious.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-1616-rubbish.html-2

As a side note, the recycling bin of MAYOR VERA KATZ
contained

* A copy of TV Click. Someone has marked several programs in red, including Wargame: Iraq, Simulated National Security Council meetings, MSNBC; Everwood: Ephram tries to revive his mother's Thanksgiving traditions, KWBP; CSI Miami: A dead man is found hanging from a tree, KOIN; Life with Bonnie on KATU; The West Wing on KGW; The National Dog Show on KGW; Figure skating: ISUCup of Russia, ESPN; Biography: "Audrey Hepburn, the Fairest Lady," A&E: Figure skating: ICE WARS: USA vs. The World, KOIN.

Which made me wonder when this was published. At the top I found:
Published December 23, 2002
Updated December 11, 2017

And then a lot of the comments below were complaining about the republishing of a 15-year-old article.
It's not clear what the updates were, if any.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
contained

And then a lot of the comments below were complaining about the republishing of a 15-year-old article.

I didn't even notice that! Someone tweeted it. I didn't check the date, and I have no idea who Portland's mayor is.

MsZem

I see the sea
contained

Maybe I should have looked at the garbage lists after all ;) I only know who Oregon's governor is, not the mayors.

MsZem

I see the sea
This is awesome: How a Jewish Doctor Duped the Nazis - the tale of a typhus vaccine scam carried out by a group of inmates at Buchenwald.
Staffing the vaccine laboratory seemed to be quite easy. There were plenty of doctors at Buchenwald, and others who'd posed as doctors to save their skins or to follow the directives of the camp leadership. ("I had a foot injury and was operated on by a mechanic and a butcher," one inmate remarked.) Willy Jellinek, a bright young Austrian pastry chef known as Jumbo, was in charge of the tubercular ward for a while and helped write the SS doctor Waldemar Hoven's dissertation on lung disease for the University of Heidelberg. Jellinek came to Block 50 to prepare culture broths for the vaccine. August Cohn, a charismatic former communist labor leader, was rescued from a death sentence and put in charge of the rabbits.

clairecloutier

This article is too good not to pass on:

The Poison We Pick
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/americas-opioid-epidemic.html
Thoughts on America's opioid epidemic, by Andrew Sullivan

This article is sad, but very much worth reading. Andrew Sullivan is the author of Far From the Tree, one of the best nonfiction books I've read in recent years.

So, I got a key fact wrong in recommending this article earlier. Andrew Sullivan, the author of "The Poison We Pick" article about opioids, is NOT the author of Far From the Tree. The author of that book is Andrew Solomon.

MsZem

I see the sea
Time for more interesting articles!

Eastern Airlines flight 980 crashed into a mountain in Bolivia in 1985. Due to the difficult terrain, recovery teams struggled to reach the aircraft. When they did, they found no bodies and no black box. Thirty years later, two roommates from Boston decided to go find the black box on their own. I know this sounds like clickbait, but it was a really good read.

From the New York Times, The Heartbreak of a Migrant Boy Taken From His Father.

Especially topical given the result of the recall vote in California: Julia Ioffe on the legacy of Brock Turner and Michele Dauber's pursuit of justice (trigger warning, obviously).

oleada

I know this is an old one that was probably posted in the last thread, but I only got around to reading it recently:

The Really Big One: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one
An earthquake will destroy a sizable portion of the coastal Northwest. The only question is when.

I actually thought of this thread recently because I read a good article but I can’t remember which one it was now. :lol:

ETA: Duh! The Anna Delvey story! It’s made for TV! It’s one of those that people would consider unrealistic except it really happened :lol:
https://www.thecut.com/2018/05/how-anna-delvey-tricked-new-york.html

mjb52

I just found this thread and read this one - the article is great but just as interesting in the variation in the comments - some people see his life story as tragic, some as a positive story of someone who lived life on his own terms, some somewhere in between. Of course we always bring our own experiences and biases and preferences into our interpretation of anything we read, but I feel like that is more typically demonstrated by articles in a political context, so to see the way that also applies to the way we read a much more straightforwardly personal story is really fascinating.

MsZem

I see the sea
NYT 1: The Insect Apocalypse. Which made me feel sad for the bugs, and for us.

NYT 2: remember all those cool "kids getting into top colleges" viral videos? A lot of them went to T.M. Landry, and apparently it's not quite the feel-good story it's made itself to be.

The Miami Herald series on how Jeffrey Epstein got an extremely lenient sentence is enraging (part 1 here).

And to end on a more uplifting note: How Flight Attendants Organized Against Their Bosses to End 'Swinging Stewardesses' Stereotyping, in Jezebel.

Last edited:

gkelly

https://www.outsideonline.com/2378786/egg-thief-jeffrey-lendrum-falcon

For decades Jeffrey Lendrum helicoptered up and rappelled down to aeries on cliff faces from Patagonia to Quebec, snatching unhatched raptors and selling them, investigators believe, to wealthy Middle Eastern falconers. This week in London, one of the most bizarre criminals in modern history goes on trial for the fourth time. Here is his story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information