Igor Shpilband: "I want a completely new look for Ilinykh/Zhiganshin"

feraina

I like Igor. His 'no comment' remarks are brilliant. Not only are they telling without being explicitly incriminating (of himself or anyone else), but I feel Like he's obliquely chastising the interviewer for digging for dirt/stirring. A more typical American coach would've not said 'no comment', but rather offered something vaguely positive or changed the topic. And they would've also never hinted at any displeasure with the question. ;)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Ah, speaking of Igor and tangos, here is the young up-and-coming Igor with his proteges, Liz Punsalan and Jerod Swallow. Was it Igor's first tango of note for a top team? I love how Dick B describes it as "a soft tango." This performance really is very special for that time. Liz and Jerod had improved so much, and they were so under-rated and underscored at both the Olympics and Worlds in 1998. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USD1m0zfXDY (P/S Worlds FD 1998)

I believe Liz/Jerod had scrapped their original FD, and Igor came up with this for them just before U.S. Nationals, and it was a blast. Liz/Jerod were really good and they should have at least claimed 5th place at 1998 Worlds and the Olympics, but ice dance politics was in full swing back then. Dick is heard saying as much just as the scores come up.

Igor was so young and cute. :lol: He gives a shout-out to Detroit in the kiss 'n cry. :)

Last edited:

Jun Y

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if there are Russian male partners that are better than Zhiganshin. OTOH Shpilband does not have access to them for tryouts. So I'm inclined to think Zhiganshin has another year to prove himself. Beyond that his position would be at risk.

analia

Never seen the Punsalan/Swallow program before but that was great, though sad to say Ruslena can't pull that program off.

Yehudi

AITA
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if there are Russian male partners that are better than Zhiganshin. OTOH Shpilband does not have access to them for tryouts. So I'm inclined to think Zhiganshin has another year to prove himself. Beyond that his position would be at risk.

Those guys are too tall for Elena.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Why would he refer to Gabby and Guilliame as "The european champions" and not World champions. That's some shade he is throwing in my opinion.

Maybe because his politiking at Worlds last year backfired and now he's bitter about it? :EVILLE:

..and I'm done.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Why would he refer to Gabby and Guilliame as "The european champions" and not World champions. That's some shade he is throwing in my opinion.

I agree with Lauravvv, he is focussing on this season's results, as you are only as good as your most recent competition has proven!

hanca

Values her privacy
Those guys are too tall for Elena.
Which guys we are talking about? If there were any, Elena would have paired with them after the split with Katsalapov. Ruslan was the best one that was available. (If Russian federation had something better to give her, they would have done so. But there hasn't been any other males competing. Why would they be hiding if they were so good?)

MsZem

I see the sea
I agree with Lauravvv, he is focussing on this season's results, as you are only as good as your most recent competition has proven!
Well, given that C/Z's most recent competition positions them as the top team this season, while Chock/Bates most recent competition has them as the second American team... I can see why Igor has to result to some hard-selling in his interview ;)

Moustaffask8r

Well I was wondering cause usually, in summer time, correct me if I'm wrong but Barbara F Poli was going to work with Igor.... Last summer she sent her Italian team to Washington and, in the stand at Jr World Barbara and the Italian were sitting with the Weaton group.... So maybe Igor is loosing precious friend here??? Better hold on to Fabian !!

blue_idealist

I hope they don't split up, I like them together, and there aren't really any better guys. I think Ruslan and Soloviev are about the same, even if Bobrova gets a suspension. If Elena were to get a new partner next season, there wouldn't be much time to get used to things before the Olympics.

hanca

Values her privacy
I hope they don't split up, I like them together, and there aren't really any better guys. I think Ruslan and Soloviev are about the same, even if Bobrova gets a suspension. If Elena were to get a new partner next season, there wouldn't be much time to get used to things before the Olympics.
As I see it, Bobrova may have had trouble with posture, but Soloviev is the one who had troubles with knees, so the chances are that those may cause troubles in the future. I would definitely not say that he is the stronger partner because of that. Having problems with knees in ice dance is quite major problem.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
There is imo no other suitable partner left for Elena. She had a chance at one point but she got Ruslan. She has to make do.

hanca

Values her privacy
Tkatschenko, Soloviev, Bukin - all infinitely better partners than Ruslan
I disagree. Tkachenko - his age goes against him. He is 30 now! She may want to skate longer than one Olympic cycle. Soloviev started having problems with his knees, and no one knows whether it has been sorted or whether it is ongoing. Bukin - as far as I know she already skated with Bukin. If it didn't work that time, why would it suddenly work now?

rhapsody

I disagree. Tkachenko - his age goes against him. He is 30 now! She may want to skate longer than one Olympic cycle. Soloviev started having problems with his knees, and no one knows whether it has been sorted or whether it is ongoing. Bukin - as far as I know she already skated with Bukin. If it didn't work that time, why would it suddenly work now?

Perhaps the same reason it worked out with her teaming back up with Nikita for a second time to get an OBM and team OGM?

Xela M

Soloviev seemed fine this season - beautiful and smooth skating as ever.

The reason she split up with Bukin was because her mum didn't like the coaching arrangement and probably thought he wasn't good or experienced enough for Elena. Now he is great and too good for Stepanova. Things change.

As for Tkatschenko, he may stay another cycle and if he can make Tobias look good, imagine what he could have done with Elena!

hanca

Values her privacy
Soloviev seemed fine this season - beautiful and smooth skating as ever.

The reason she split up with Bukin was because her mum didn't like the coaching arrangement and probably thought he wasn't good or experienced enough for Elena. Now he is great and too good for Stepanova. Things change.

As for Tkatschenko, he may stay another cycle and if he can make Tobias look good, imagine what he could have done with Elena!
about Tkachenko, he is 30 now. So during the next Olympics he will be 32. I don't think he will stay another Olympic cycle and even if he did, I don't think any ice dancer has much chance winning at the age of 36 (which he will be in 2022). The body can't take the level of physical 'punishment' the elite level requires.

hanca

Values her privacy
Perhaps the same reason it worked out with her teaming back up with Nikita for a second time to get an OBM and team OGM?
But the point is, with Nikita is wasn't working, otherwise they wouldn't split up. You are basing that it was working on their results, but they are the ones who spent together perhaps eight hours a day, maybe more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information