Ice Theatre of New York's 2024 Benefit Gala honoring Davis/White, Belbin/Agosto, Bezic, Blumberg (May 6) & Home Season shows (May 3-4)

Sylvia

TBD
The Ice Theatre of New York's 2024 Benefit Gala and Performance will take place on Monday, May 6, 2024 at 6:30 pm at Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers in NYC: https://www.icetheatre.org/2024-benefit-gala-and-performance.html
Performance, Cocktails, Dinner (The Lighthouse Chelsea Piers) and Award Ceremony
The Gala Performance will feature the ITNY Ensemble and guest artists Ilia Malinin and Oona & Gage Brown (May 6th only)
Honorees: Olympians Meryl Davis & Charlie White and Tanith Belbin White & Ben Agosto
Choreography Award: Sandra Bezic
Alumni Award: Judy Blumberg

Phil Hersh's celebration of Belbin/Agosto and Davis/White (April 29):
At its May 6 annual gala, the Ice Theatre of New York is honoring both Belbin and Agosto and Davis and White “not only for their accomplishments as artistic Olympians and national champions but also as important role models in our ‘icy’ world,” according to Moira North, ITNY founder and artistic director.
“In thinking about what this honor means,” Davis said, “I found myself so grateful that it really gives me the chance to reflect on our competitive career as well as all of the special moments that I don't always get to remember on a daily basis - and to think about all of the people who were part of our journey that I don't get to see or speak with frequently.
“The success Tanith and Ben had sparked a whole generation,” said White, who married Belbin in 2015. “When they won their first (worlds medal), it was like a spark of amazement and excitement.
“It happened just as Meryl and I were about to step up to the senior level. It definitely created a sense of hope as an American ice dancer that if you worked your tail off, you would be rewarded.”

Sandra Bezic retrospective by Lynn Rutherford: https://icetheatre.org/sandra-bezic,-choreography-award.html
“I started working just as skating was becoming so popular in North America. Living through that in the ‘80s and ‘90s, being around when the phone just never stopped ringing, I learned on the job, and one job would inform the next. I would take what I learned and apply it …. I love the process, I love to figure things out.”
For “jobs” ranging from countless programs for top skaters, to film and TV productions including Carmen on Ice and Battle of the Blades, to touring productions, Ice Theatre of New York honors Bezic with its 2024 Choreography Award.
“Sandra is one of the most intelligent, prolific and successful ice choreographers of our time,” says ITNY founder Moira North. “We are so honored to bestow this award.”
“My style is to peel back to find the essence of who I’m working with, instead of adding on and on,” she says. “And the rules today are sort of, the more you move around, and the more you do things, the more points you get.” [...]
“There’s always a way to create something fresh,” Bezic says. “The unknown excites me, and I think that’s why I’ve last so long and had such a variety of experiences.”

Judy Blumberg article by Lois Elfman: https://icetheatre.org/judy-blumberg-alumni-honoree-article.html
ITNY led to a most unexpected and wonderful partnership for Blumberg. After Yorke decided to coach full-time, co-ensemble director Douglas Webster asked her to skate with him in a piece. She questioned the pairing of an ice dancer and a free skater, but Webster pushed her to try.
“It ended up being a beautiful collaboration on ‘Appalachia Waltz’ with JoAnna Mendl Shaw and Douglas being the co-choreographers,” she said. “It was very much a signature piece for us and Ice Theatre at the time.
“My greatest gift was being able to work with Douglas,” she added. “In ‘Appalachia Waltz’ I felt so strongly about what this piece was, how I felt when I was in it and the passion I had for performing with him and the music.
“It was such a wonderful feeling to know that my work with Michael was fantastic and amazing, and it would continue to morph and change and be just as magical with someone else.”

ITNY's regular Home Season Performance shows will also feature the ITNY Ensemble and guest artists at 7 pm on Friday, May 3, and Saturday, May 4: https://www.icetheatre.org/2024-home-season-performances.html

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The Future of Figure Skating podcast - Anna Kellar converses with Sandra Bezic (Part 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzGJZXclx8k
In this episode, part 1 of my conversation with choreographer, director, and producer Sandra Bezic. With her brother Val, Sandra was a four-time Canadian pairs champion and competed in the 1972 Olympics. She is most well known, however, as a choreographer and the creative force behind many skating shows and TV programs. She has choreographed for champions like Brian Boitano, Kurt Browning, Katarina Witt, Lu Chen, and Tara Lipinski. Most recently, she made Lindsay Thorngren’s short program for the 23/24 season. She was the director of Stars on Ice for many years, and collaborated with David Wilson on Yuna Kim’s All That Skate and Javier Fernandez’s Revolution on Ice. Sandra also produced the Canadian TV program Battle of the Blades and in 2023 made the series “I Have Nothing” alongside comedian Carolyn Taylor. Sandra has a unique understanding of how to make skating appeal to general audiences, and we had a great conversation about choreography, entertainment, and the changes she’d like to see in the sport.

Sylvia

TBD
Photos of the ITNY Home Season show performers by Amy Krut (rehearsals before the first show):

By Josef Pinlac and Amy Krut:

By Robert Dea (both sets):
Taken on Friday, May 3, 2024:

ETA:

By Derek French for Shutterstock:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks very much for filming them, @apgold, and welcome to FSU! :)

“Home Season Video Coming Soon!”:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information