How many skaters & coaches can you identify in this Japanese illustrator's Xmas card?

Sylvia

TBD
Amazing Christmas card by Japanese illustrator Mika Matsuda that deserves its own thread: Original tweet is here: https://twitter.com/nigaoe877/status/1342088429618700289

EqAOD25VEAA_Q3S

Sylvia

TBD
Starting off in the upper left corner: Mr. Nobuo Sato, Keegan Messing, Nam Nguyen starting a snowman, Kevin Reynolds finishing up his snowman. Next to Nam is someone who looks like Carolina Kostner (head turned to the side) near Professor Alexei Mishin (wearing a red cone hat with stars), Plushenko (holding a present) and his son Sasha, Machiko Yamada and Tatiana Tarasova.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Looks like Mao Asada putting star on the tree, and then team Tutberidze next to her - Dudakov, Alina, Kamila?, Anna?, Eteri, Janny, and Danny G in the back. Benoit Richaud in the black hat and red scarf. Looks like Midori Ito in the green coat below them. Shibs, Mariah Bell, Daisuke putting on ornaments at the bottom of the tree. Nathan in the black coat below them. Sui/Han and Shoma by the fire. I'm trying to figure out who is in the sleeping bag - Aymoz, maybe?

floridaice

Patrick Chan directly above the 1st photographer on our left. Maybe Sergei Voronov next to him?

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier next to the last photographer on the right.

Jason Brown is pointing at Camden Pulkinen (between Jason & Kolyada)

Mie Hamada above Tarasova?

Above the Panda on our left: Papadakis & Cizeron, Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker, Chock & Bates, with Cappelline & Lanotte above them.

Mazaru in front of Zagitova

( I have so many other things I need to be doing today, but this is too much fun)

Colonel Green

Next to Nam is someone who looks like Carolina Kostner (head turned to the side) near Professor Alexei Mishin (wearing a red cone hat with stars), Plushenko (holding a present) and his son Sasha, Machiko Yamada and Tatiana Tarasova.
I'd assume that's Liza behind Mishin on the left. The woman standing behind Yamada and Tarasova is probably Mihoko Higuchi.

There's a grouping of Team Raf skaters on the frozen pond, but no Raf himself, presumably because the force of his scowl prevented all efforts to render him using this art style.

love skating

Clueless American
I see Jordan Cowan of OnIcePerspectives in blue with his camera contraption and Tomoki Hiawatashi doing the splits to the right of him and to the left of Jason Brown. And to the right of Camden - is that Mikhail Kolyada in green?

liv

Some of these are hard... to the right of Brian Orser is JunHwan Cha, and then Yuzuru Hanyu (in white) ...who is just below Jeffrey Buttle, as are Cappellini/Lanotte.. I think directly behind Brian O is David Wilson ...and lower down on the left side is Johnny Weir with a mask in his hand and a white fluffy thing on his head. I think between Medvedeva and Richaud is Tursynbaeva... is that Roman Sadovsky below Mishin? The Honda sisters below Eteri's girls? Below Richaud might be Wakaba Higuchi, with Mai Mihara to the right... Satoko Miyahara just below her to the right... Voronov beside Patrick Chan... Takeshi Honda behind Mishin/Plushy

Last edited:

syzygy

I am so bad at these sorts of things. Is that Hubbell/Donohue a little bit left of center in the bottom left quadrant? Nathan and Mariah are in front of the tree for sure. Is that Evgenia to the right of Eteri?

seabm7

It looks to me the person left to Brian Orser is not David Wilson, but Ghisland Briand. To me, the other person next to Benoit Richaud at the upper right corner looks David Wilson.

In front of them I see Mai Mihara, Wakaba Higuchi, Satoko Miyaraha, and Kaori Sakamoto.

In the middle at the right side edge are Takeshi Honda and Philippe Candeloro.

Lambiel and Vasiljevs at the bottom right conner.

Right behind the camera people are Patrick Chan, Voronov, Brezina, and Daisuke Murakami.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The one next to Candeloro is Boyang Jin. I think the 4 men at the bottom are Chan, Voronov, Brezina, and Daisuke Murakami maybe? Nobu Oda above Vasilievs and Lambiel.

The one I'm confused about is whether it's Sasha Cohen sideways above Aymoz.

And maybe it's Roman Sadovsky below Mishin.. below him is Buttle and below are Cappellini/LaNotte.

Colonel Green

The one I'm confused about is whether it's Sasha Cohen sideways above Aymoz.

And maybe it's Roman Sadovsky below Mishin.. below him is Buttle and below are Cappellini/LaNotte.
I think that's supposed to be Trusova.

It's definitely Roman below Mishin, as most of the Canadian men's singles skaters are grouped in that area.

Tak

Behind Tarasova near the tree is Kenji Miyamoto (choreographer/ Dance commentator)
Immediate left of the tree is Miura/Kihara in overhead lift position.
One holding the ladder looks like late Chris Reed, but on second thought it could be Takahito Mura who has similar hair style and also skated in Mao's Tour, hence holding the ladder.

Last edited:

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
I drank all my leftover NYE alcohol and had the courage to look at this one more time.

Right below/left of Papadakis and Cizeron is Yuma Kagiyama and Shun Sato with a stuffed panda.

Tak

Right side of the picture, Reindeer Costumed (Of the two so costumed, the Left one) is Yuhana Yokoi. Down from Yuhana, left of Sui/Han is Tatsuki Machida (dubbed "Philosopher of Figure Skating" in Japan, with trademark neck covering and book in his hand).
Top left between Messing and Tukt is Shen/Zhao.

Tak

Right in front of Tarasova and Machiko Yamada;
Komatsubaras and to their left Utana Yoshida/ Shingo Nishiyama: this seems to be JPN ice dance group.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
This is fun but really tricky! I would never have got Trusova or Sherbakova without reading here. And where is Kostornaia? Am I being really blind?
ETA: found her. I was looking for a blonde girl :lol:

Cayuse

The artist is incredible! Putting on my ice dance hat now and guessing: Next to blue ball on right side of tree - Cathy and Chris Reed, right of Daisuke Takahasi is his dance partner Kana Muramoto, left hand corner couple riding the panda are Shiue Wang and Xinyu Liu (current top Chinese dancers). The girl between Chris Reed and Marin Honda looks like Mai Mihara to me. Boy to right of Nathen is Vincent Zhou. Girl to left of Nathan and above Amyoz in sleeping bag is Sasha Cohen. Directly above Jason Brown is Takahito Kozuka.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information