HOW DO PAIRS SKATERS START GETTING USED TO BEING LIFTED?

FSWer

Say, that question came to me last night...How do Pairs Skaters start getting used to being lifted? Like starting to get used to being lifted overhead in a 1 handed lift or Airplane- Lift. The only thing I can think of is that a partner must lift them a little bit each time while learning. Until they eventually reach the right point overhead. Can anyone tell me if I'm right? Or what does happen? Thanks.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
They practice it very gradually. First just lifting the other partner off the ground, then lifting them above their shoulders, and then higher and higher in the different positions. They also do a lot of lifting practice off the ice. It's easier to do lifts on the ice, because the woman can push to get momentum to get up into the air, but it's also more dangerous on the ice because both partners are moving. Doing the lift on the ice usually comes after learning it off-ice.

Some pairs also practice lifts on the ice with the woman in the jump harness. She can get comfortable with the positions in the lift while having more support than just her partner lifting and holding her.

Clarice

Yes, the pairs at my rink do a LOT of lift practice off the ice. Sometimes they will also practice with different partners, so the person learning the lift is working with someone who already knows how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information