Harrison Bain - New Zealand

Foolhardy Ham Lint

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I've loved Harrison's spins since the first time I saw him a few years ago. Any time I see his name on an entry list I'm always eager to see his spins again. He's probably one of the best if not the best spinner in the world, people just don't know him.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Oh wow, he was great! I need some of his spinning mojo.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Thank you for posting this.

Wow, he is good. And Im trying to get more involved in juniors! :)

His spins are a treasure.... a little bit Shawn Sawyer, a little bit Lucinda Run but completely his own!!!

He brings the artistry back to figure skating!

Seerek

One of my concerns with the introduction of the +5 GOE was that skaters from smaller federations weren't going to get the positive GOE they deserved.

If Bain isn't getting effectively straight +4's for spins, then why have this updated scale?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
One of my concerns with the introduction of the +5 GOE was that skaters from smaller federations weren't going to get the positive GOE they deserved.

If Bain isn't getting effectively straight +4's for spins, then why have this updated scale?
He did get some 4s and overall postive GOEs on his spins. I have judged a couple of times with the new GOEs and it does take some time to get used to work with the larger range of marks available.

Funny I saw him warming up at Hollins. Made my body ache just watching him. Really nice boy.

Vagabond

ISU Communication No. 2168

For Singles spins, the bullet points are:
1) good speed and/or acceleration during spin
2) good controlled, clear position(s) (inc. height and air/landing position in flying spin)
3) effortless throughout

4) maintaining a centered spin
5) creativity and originality
6) element matches the music
FOR + 4 and +5 THE FIRST THREE bullets highlighted in bold must be present

I lurve me his spin positions, but his rotational velocity is at times -- here, for example -- painfully slow.

He should be getting lots of +3's, though. And he is. :COP: (y)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
but his rotational velocity is at times -- here, for example -- painfully slow.

hmmmm but just in that one position, and its a bent leg camel...i cant think how the body could hold that specific position and do it any faster..... this spin does rotate really fast in the next positions that would make even Julia Lip impressed!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

hmmmm but just in that one position, and its a bent leg camel...i cant think how the body could hold that specific position and do it any faster..... this spin does rotate really fast in the next positions that would make even Julia Lip impressed!

Agreed.

I would consider what he is doing solid control and command of the blade. How he is able to accelerate into and hit the next position made my jaw drop.

I hope he is given more opportunities to compete internationally this season, and potentially, earn a spot at junior worlds, too.

Last edited:

synchrogirl17

According to Facebook, Harrison suffered from terrible food poisoning before the FS

From the Auckland Ice Figure Skating Club:

"Harrison we are so proud of you!! Overall 17/21 even with food poisoning 🇳🇿💕

Coach Bess Cao best said it all:
It’s a such life experience for this #jgp in Canada for both of harry & I.

SP: Harrison came 15/21, achieved score 51.01, personal best for short at international field. did everything that we planned, had a fantastic performance received a lot positive feedback from some Olympic coaches.

FS: Harry had food poisoning on the night before FS, he had 2 hours rough sleep, been vomiting all over the place and diarrhea. We had one hospital run at 4am, and medical team run around 6am. Got some pills, had to missed officials practice. He had no meals before the free skate. Under this circumstance, harry pulled out for FS personal best again. Total scored 144.77! Compared with last year jgp he has made 33points improvements. Im very proud of Harrison Bain

He have overcome all difficulties, never give up, fight for what he can and face challenges.
Good job 👏"

zebraswan

I saw him in Richmond and he really has star quality. I also thought of Shawn Sawyer, a very apt comparison. Consider me a fan now. And I had no idea about the food poisoning...wow! That makes it even more incredible that he could go out and perform like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information