Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatfan

Who's left from US nationals that's not either going pro or to the NCAA?

Also, who thinks Worlds is going to happen?

floskate

Vacant
Definitely an opportunity for lesser known gymnasts to win a bit more hardware. Isn't Andrade planning on competing? Depending on who Russia field in WAG I can see it being Andrade/Russia dominated. Maybe GB can pick up some medals if the Gadirova's stay healthy? After you take out Simone's tour cast and Kara/Leanne/Suni/???? all going to college, who would USAG send?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
FIG will be reinstating touch warmup for apparatus finals (long over due!).

Also most of the judging exams for the next cycle will be online (I'm relieved that we at least have this information).

More here:

skatfan

Chellsie Memmel shared on her instagram story that she will be doing the goldoveramerica tour and will not be trying for worlds as she's not ready. But she made it clear she's not retiring yet.
I’m a little sad that she’s not ready for Worlds but delighted she’ll do the tour and continue beyond!

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I think there's a very realistic possibility that the US doesn't win any medals at Worlds this year.

I mean, I can't see that as a huge problem when we very clearly won't be sending our A team or possibly even our B team. There's a reason worlds aren't usually held after the Olympics in gymnastics. Some different athletes will get a chance.

Simone, Jade, Jordan, Grace, Mykayla, Laurie Hernandez, Morgan Hurd, and Shilese Jones will all be on the Gold Across America tour, so that is going to occupy the majority of the Olympic team, two athletes who were making comebacks, and one additional athlete who made trials.

Suni is full time at Auburn. She has said she is thinking of worlds again in the future, but not this year I'd assume. Our Olympic alternates would be great choices, but Leanne just moved into Florida, Kara Eaker is attending Utah (although so is Grace and she is doing distance learning this fall), and Emma moved into UCLA. Of the others at Trials, Riley also just started at UF, I don't think Emily Lee is going to be an option for a while,

Kayla DiCello is a good option. Other than that, it's not impossible that the girls doing NCAA could go to worlds. The NCAA season is in the spring and people make things work all the time, so I wouldn't count them totally out, especially those who didn't get to compete at the Olympics. Emma and Leanne have never been to worlds, as well.

dramagrrl

Riley has already said she isn't doing Worlds this year as she wants to concentrate on college, but she is keeping the Paris Olympics as a possibility for the future.

Hedwig

Antique member
how is the US team decided? It is not a lot of time till October after all?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
how is the US team decided? It is not a lot of time till October after all?
They are having a selection camp sometime in September. People are joking that Tom will pick top four AA (which makes no sense for an individual worlds LOL).

I really hope some of the NCAA freshman will try for worlds. Logistically it's feasible for an NCAA gymnast to do worlds in the fall. Shallon Olsen has done it twice and as of August 9 she is on the short list for the Canadian team selection. (If anyone is curious you can read the Canadian selection rules here)

Skye Blakeley is one to look out for if she has recovered from the injury she had at the Olympic trials, as well as Konnor McClain depending how her training is going.

It will be interesting to see how many countries send top gymnasts to worlds this year so soon after the Olympics. Even if the US ends up sending a B or C team they could steal get some medals in what may be a weaker field.

skatfan

They are having a selection camp sometime in September. People are joking that Tom will pick top four AA (which makes no sense for an individual worlds LOL).

I really hope some of the NCAA freshman will try for worlds. Logistically it's feasible for an NCAA gymnast to do worlds in the fall. Shallon Olsen has done it twice and as of August 9 she is on the short list for the Canadian team selection. (If anyone is curious you can read the Canadian selection rules here)

Skye Blakeley is one to look out for if she has recovered from the injury she had at the Olympic trials, as well as Konnor McClain depending how her training is going.

It will be interesting to see how many countries send top gymnasts to worlds this year so soon after the Olympics. Even if the US ends up sending a B or C team they could steal get some medals in what may be a weaker field.
I thought Konnor McClain had said her season was over and she’s trying for 2022. Seems like she needs to get her mental game in order before jumping straight to worlds.

Jayar

Jordan Chiles recently said that she wants to go to a WC. I wonder if she will try to make it this year?

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Jordan Chiles recently said that she wants to go to a WC. I wonder if she will try to make it this year?

There really is no way for the athletes on the Gold Over America tour to go. The tour runs through the entire Worlds schedule and Jordan is advertised at being at every stop.

BaileyCatts

Suni Lee will be on Dancing with the Stars! She is going to take online classes while doing the show. :cheer2: I was hoping they would offer her DWTS. I hope she gets Val or Sasha. :p

skatfan

Suni Lee will be on Dancing with the Stars! She is going to take online classes while doing the show. :cheer2: I was hoping they would offer her DWTS. I hope she gets Val or Sasha. :p

Glad for her for this opportunity- I think there’s an artist inside who can develop nicely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information