Grand Prix Series of Seasons 2022/23 & 2023/24

sus2850

Gilles/Poirier are taking next season off.
Where and when did they announce that? I asked them at worlds and they then said they have not yet decided about their future. Must have missed an announcement since then, I guess.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Where and when did they announce that? I asked them at worlds and they then said they have not yet decided about their future. Must have missed an announcement since then, I guess.
This has been discussed, ad nauseum, in The Dance Hall thread.

sus2850

Well, that yet does not sound like an official announcement to me.
I assume that quite a few skaters that are hoping on maybe medalling (again) before retirement (like the German pair team Hase/Seegert) will wait for the ISU decision on how long Russian skaters are not allowed to compete.

Karen-W

Well, that yet does not sound like an official announcement to me.
I assume that quite a few skaters that are hoping on maybe medalling (again) before retirement (like the German pair team Hase/Seegert) will wait for the ISU decision on how long Russian skaters are not allowed to compete.
Well, it sounds pretty definite that they WON'T be on the GP next fall and since this thread is specifically about THAT, then it is perfectly reasonable to cross them off the seeded list, same as Hubbell/Donohue, Liu, Ziegler/Kiefer, Jones/Boyadji, Broda/Betegon Martin and Kops/Krasnopolski. Even Smart/Diaz have left things more open than what Paul Poirier himself has said regarding their plans for next season. Note, I also crossed Nathan Chen off on the Men's WS Top 24 list since he has made it clear he won't be competing next fall, even if he hasn't ruled out ever competing again.

litenkyckling

Skate America in Norwood MA….Skating Club of Boston
Not from the US so I could never attend but from screens I love this venue - it’s so gorgeous (kind of reminds me of the Tallinn venue in a way) and looks great onscreen.

From a totally selfish European perspective - East coast events are the best for me since they tend to be on in the evenings after work yay!

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I think the venue looks great, the need for a rental car is a no for me. I’m holding out hope there will be shuttle service with the fan hotel and that hotel is walking distance to restaurants.

I’m also anxious to see where Skate Canada will be. Rumors were near SkAm. Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, Ottawa?

doritos

I’m also anxious to see where Skate Canada will be. Rumors were near SkAm. Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, Ottawa?

My sources tell me that it will be held in Mississauga at the Paramount Foods Center, so that would align with the rumors of keeping it on the East Coast to make it easier for the ISU to transport equipment between venues for the two North American GP events.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
My sources tell me that it will be held in Mississauga at the Paramount Foods Center, so that would align with the rumors of keeping it on the East Coast to make it easier for the ISU to transport equipment between venues for the two North American GP events.
Thanks, hope your sources are right as that is a nonstop flight for me and the hotels appear within walking distance (at least during the day). Also on a bus route.

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
Much cheaper flight for me than SKAM. Plus Delta with whom I have a canceled flight credit with.

Will see where other GP events are.

Aaron MB Fan

Pleaseeee let this be true!! Less than 10 mins drive to the rink!! I will definitely be attending in that case.

manhn

I know Mississauga is close to Pearson Airport, but I would probably still need a rental car. How is weather end of October? As long as it does not snow, I am okay.

mackiecat

You will need a rental car or use Lyft/Uber a lot.
I know Mississauga is close to Pearson Airport, but I would probably still need a rental car. How is weather end of October? As long as it does not snow, I am okay.
As other posters have said , could be snowy, it could also be shorts and t-shirt weather….and everything in between 40F to 70F ( 2021)

Gris

不做奴才做公民

Until further notice no International Competitions shall be held in Russia and Belarus. Consequently, the Rostelecom Cup 2022 in Figure Skating will not be included in the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series of the season 2022/23. Rule 104, paragraph 14 and 104, paragraph15 of the ISU General Regulations are therefore applied by the Council, Director General and Secretariat accordingly.

ISU Members interested in hosting the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event scheduled on November 25-27, 2022, are requested to contact the ISU Sports Director Figure Skating, Ms. Patricia Mayor ([email protected]), by May 6, 2022 in order to obtain the necessary details enabling them to submit an application to the ISU.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
If it’s not happening, they should be taking equivalent steps to find a replacement.
My guess is China won't relinquish the GP status and try to retain it for the future. But in using a no covid state, will cancel closer to the event with little to no time to arrange an alternate site.

Which really impacts the skaters with assignments to the GP Cup of China and their ability to be at GPF

Karen-W

Well, it definitely sounds like a China is protesting the possible loss of their GP, but reading the entire paragraph that the ISU has added and will be voted upon by the ISU Congress, it includes epidemic as an event or circumstance of exceptional nature as a cause to remove hosting rights.

So, the Chinese speed and figure skating feds are going to have a chance at the ISU Congress to lobby to keep their GP, but I won't be surprised if the ISU takes them away before the GP assignments are finalized.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民

So @doritos' sources are right. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information