Gracie Gold Cheer thread

Sylvia

TBD
Elliana Pogrebinsky recently interviewed Gracie for her "Women in Athletics" series:
"Topics include internal stress, US Figure Skating resources, education for coaches, and an emphasis on opening a line of communication with your coaches."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over 2 posts from the U.S. Ladies thread in GSD:
Polina Edmunds interviewed Gracie Gold in her latest podcast. They share some fun memories from Sochi.
Gracie's interview on Polina's podcast is so interesting, they really get into the deep details of her comeback and speak on the adjustments of her body changes affecting her consistency with training and competing last year. Not your typical cookie cutter answers for this, highly worth listening!
Direct link to listen: https://art19.com/shows/bleav-in-figure-skating/episodes/71289021-9d20-4e17-b674-64e4181e9f37
This episode I talk to Gracie Gold about our favorite Sochi memories, and the realities of Comeback hardships after taking a long break from sport. We expose the common misconception: "Work hard and you'll be the skater you once were", and instead shine a light on how the physical and mental game of returning to sport after long hiatus is learning to be a different skater. We also touch on Body Image and the current wave of younger skaters, with some advice from Gracie on treating your body with kindness.

Sylvia

TBD
Paid sponsorship post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJzwnzrHY3f/
I’ve struggled with an eating disorder and body dysmorphia for almost 10 years now. I was 15 years old the first time a coach asked me to step on a scale. By 17, I could tell you how many calories were in a plate of food just by looking at it. Counting calories was my favorite coping mechanism. I felt in control, even when my life was spiraling out of control. At 22, I lost all control and went the other way. I started binge eating and put on 60lbs in just a few months. I went from an XS to an XL, an A cup to an F cup. I was living a life I didn’t recognize, in a body I hated.
As I post these photos, I’m amazed at how far I’ve come. How comfortable I am with my body. My curves are right where they’re meant to be. So are my muscles and my stretch marks. My body is no longer a place of shame and insecurity, it’s a temple of respect.
Cheers to everyone who thought losing weight was all they had to offer the world. Let’s spread our wings and take up the space we deserve in this world
Gracie will return to Las Vegas and compete at Nationals on Thursday & Friday, January 14-15, 2021. Best wishes to her!

SkateFanBerlin

When I saw the score and read about the 2 falls I expected the worst. The skate wasn't that bad. She is much stronger and fit this year. Of course she is frustrated; she's a champion. Without the falls she would have been top 10. With the 2nd 3-3 she planned, top 6.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
When I saw the score and read about the 2 falls I expected the worst. The skate wasn't that bad. She is much stronger and fit this year. Of course she is frustrated; she's a champion. Without the falls she would have been top 10. With the 2nd 3-3 she planned, top 6.

Agreed. She’s progressed since the ISP Points & SkAm. I’m wondering if she’ll be continuing next season...the Olympic season?

LL22

It will sure be interesting to see what she does.
She has stated it is her goal to make the Olympics again, so I would imagine she would at least try. Her jumps are still some of the best in the event IMO, and although competing has never been her strong suit, she does appear to be getting better at that as well. She committed to every jump and that’s a huge improvement for her. I have such a soft spot for people who are trying to make comebacks to the sport. The difficulty mentally and physically must be incredible. I really hope she continues.

SkateFanBerlin

One thing that's a good sign is that she's dropped the dazzling smile at the end of EVERY program. When she's crap she looks appropriately like someone who's not happy.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
One thing that's a good sign is that she's dropped the dazzling smile at the end of EVERY program. When she's crap she looks appropriately like someone who's not happy.
A fresh honesty! Also, notice that she wasn’t all giggly while awaiting her score...but it was sweet to see her acknowledge sister Carly (and others) on the screen of supporters, after her LP. It cheered her up.
The Screen of Supporters idea was a hit, overall. It never got old.

caseyedwards

I'm curious about this too even though I feel I should know. I watched the final flight with a guest who knows nothing about skating and he asked if the coach on her left in the K&C was her bodyguard and mentioned he looked like he was going to kneecap someone.
How ironic

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information