Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

myhoneyhoney

Ooooooo, I need to get my butt to Nordstrom!

BTW, my Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair serum is almost gone so it's time to try a new one. Any recommendations? I'm looking for the typical anti-aging serums. Should I have two different kinds, one for morning and one for night?

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
The problem with most long wearing lipsticks (ie. the ones that last 8 hours or more) is that they are very drying. And the opposite problem for moisturizing lipsticks...they come off quickly.

I usually recommend Urban Decay Vice lipsticks to everyone. (I promise I don't get paid by them haha!)

They have a good blend of comfort vs wear time (usually about 4-5 hours or until you eat a meal) and come in 100 colours. If you like medium - darker shades, they will leave a little stain on your lips after they wear off.

Sephora sells them and I'm sure they will let you try one on in store to see if you like it before buying.

Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks are like an addiction to me, who hasn't really used lipsticks in years. I've bought 7 in the last 3 months. I love Urban Decay Naked Skin foundation - goes on smoothly, blends well and looks natural.

Urban Decay Precision mascara is awesome - didn't run when I was in tears - the big sobbing until you hiccups crying jag. I don't worry about a few tears here and there any more. I also got Sephora's mascara sample box, and like the Make-up Forever, the Tarte brand (but that one does get a little smeary). Two-Faced "Better than Sex" is great, but the brush is too big to use, maybe better in the regular size. I use the Urban Decay Subversion Lash Primer, which helps the mascara application.

My esthetician recommends castor oil applied to the lashes before bedtime to moisturize them and promote growth.

Yeah - the next four years, I am going to be in debt to Sephora. I have to quit going there when I feel down.

quartz

scratching at the light
I wear water-resistant mascara, rather than water-proof. I currently am using Rimmel Scandaleyes. I am a crier, (fortunately, I cry pretty!) and I never have it run, and its easier to remove at bedtime.
In honor of Valentine's day, I am rocking my purple velvet jacket and Revlon Super Lustrous Violet Frenzy lipstick, and my usual smudgy eyes. My hair is a bit wilder than usual though.....oh, well, I tried! :D :glamor: :shuffle:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
My favourite mascara is Clinique Lash Power (also sold as 24-Hour Pretty). It's a tubing mascara, so it stays in place with no smudging or smearing. It's not waterproof, but it lasts through the elements of the day (and crying!!).

altai_rose

Bellanca

@hanca, instead of a traditional foundation, you may want to give a tinted moisturizer a try.

One (tinted moisturizer) product that I highly recommend is from bareMinerals. It is a hydrating gel cream that combines the best BB cream and CC cream called Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream w/ Broad Spectrum SPF 30. It is a mineral makeup product and good stuff! Normally, I am not a fan of mineral makeup (especially eye makeup) because I have been spoiled by M.A.C eyeshadows -- for one, but for a foundation-like base, I do prefer a tinted, natural, mineral-based moisturizer, and this product has delivered. I order it online from their website. It is kind of $$$, but worth it, and it lasts forever!

hanca

Values her privacy
Tried the waterproof mascara someone here recommended. Looked great the whole day, but taking it off was a nightmare! I think I lost a quarter of my eyelashes when I attempted to take off the mascara! Any tips on how you take off the mascara that is stubbornly insisting on staying on? What would happen if I just left it on for a few days (or forever or however long it would want to stay on)?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I use a makeup remover pad first, then baby oil if it's being stubborn.

Bellanca

Waterproof mascara almost needs a hammer and chisel to remove it! Lancome Bi-Facil is good. That stuff removes everything! Thank goodness it is high quality and gentle to the skin. Otherwise, it leaves the impression that it might just successfully strip wax from your kitchen floor. :p

TheGirlCanSkate

Trader Joe's carries an oil face cleanser now. I have used it for a week and really like it. It's very gentle. It says it has coconut and argan oils in it. Looking at it, I think it is Burt's Bees Cleansing oil - even the design on the bottle is similar. This has to be a very new product for TJs because I can't find a review for it. $6.99 for 4 oz.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Glamour pusses! Recommend a good undereye cream. I have bags and wrinkles (thanks genetics) but otherwise no signs of other wrinkles yet. I just turned 31 and figure I should start...

I use Boots day and night moisturizers. I bought them in London and found 'em in Target, here, and I like them but I want something better!

I've been doing a 30% glycolic peel at home once a week. Not noticing a difference. I still have huge pores and sebaceous filaments. :drama: I've started wearing BB cream or foundation every day, though, it's amazing how much better I look doing it regularly. I picked up Sephora's undereye concealer and it's really great, nice and thin and doesn't settle into the bags and helps mask them a bit.

skateycat

One of Nature's Non-Spinners
Panic! Panic!

My favorite hairstylist evar does not appear to be at her usual salon anymore!

Panic! Panic!

I'll call them on Tuesday when they are open and see what the deal is. Sigh.

Anemone

You have my sympathy. I went to my salon in the fall to book an appointment, only to discover that not only was my stylist gone, the salon had been sold and ALL the stylists were gone and it was all new staff, management, owners everything.
No one had any idea where the previous staff went.
I've yet to find another stylist. My Mom is able to cut hair reasonably well, so she has een able to keep my cut someone in check for a bit, but I am getting to the point that I am going to have to go out and find a new stylist/salon........

Aceon6

You have my sympathy. I went to my salon in the fall to book an appointment, only to discover that not only was my stylist gone, the salon had been sold and ALL the stylists were gone and it was all new staff, management, owners everything.
No one had any idea where the previous staff went.
I've yet to find another stylist. My Mom is able to cut hair reasonably well, so she has een able to keep my cut someone in check for a bit, but I am getting to the point that I am going to have to go out and find a new stylist/salon........
Does your state/province have licensing for stylists? Before Google, i was able to find mine by calling the state licensing board and asking where she was currently registered to work.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Glamour pusses! Recommend a good undereye cream. I have bags and wrinkles (thanks genetics) but otherwise no signs of other wrinkles yet. I just turned 31 and figure I should start...

I use Boots day and night moisturizers. I bought them in London and found 'em in Target, here, and I like them but I want something better!

I've been doing a 30% glycolic peel at home once a week. Not noticing a difference. I still have huge pores and sebaceous filaments. :drama: I've started wearing BB cream or foundation every day, though, it's amazing how much better I look doing it regularly. I picked up Sephora's undereye concealer and it's really great, nice and thin and doesn't settle into the bags and helps mask them a bit.

I've been using Benefit's It's Potent eye cream for a few months and I love it. It's the first time I've actually noticed a significant difference in my under eye circles from using an eye cream.

altai_rose

I'll have to try the Benefit eye cream too. Right now I'm using a Clinique eye gel with the roller application. Can't say I've noticed a difference.

I went to Sephora yesterday and tried different lip paints. It was such a disaster getting them off my lips! I think they're not for me. I tried the suggestion above to apply lipstick, then press it against a tissue, then apply again. That really worked for me to make the lipstick longer lasting!

I'm an idiot when it comes to hair care, but recently I've started curling the ends of my hair with a flat iron. The effect only lasts for a few hours. I'm thinking I need to use hair spray or something to make it last longer? But obviously I don't want my hair to become stiff and look artificial. Any advice?

PDilemma

I'm an idiot when it comes to hair care, but recently I've started curling the ends of my hair with a flat iron. The effect only lasts for a few hours. I'm thinking I need to use hair spray or something to make it last longer? But obviously I don't want my hair to become stiff and look artificial. Any advice?

Get a thermal protector spray with a little hold and spray it on before you curl. I like Joico's Ironclad, but I know a lot of people love the Chi one, too. After curling, spray again either with the same product or a light hairspray. I use Paul Mitchell's Hold Me Tight which is not too heavy and doesn't make my hair stiff.

I have pretty fine hair that doesn't hold a style well without products but those two will make my curl last all day.

quartz

scratching at the light
I use Tresamme flexible hold hairspray. Keeps my bed head look in place, but my hair is still free flowing. It has a very low scent as I hate over perfumey hair products.

Is there a trick to curling hair with a flat iron? My hairdresser styled my hair by curling with a flat iron last time and I really liked how it looked but when I try it just doesn't work. Any ideas?

altai_rose

I just saw this article about Sephora's Drunk Elephant skin care line. Has anyone tried it? The article claims their serums are similar to Skinceuticals, but cheaper. I'm intrigued--although it looks like the products are still more expensive than I'm accustomed to paying.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/01/why-drunk-elephant-is-the-best-natural-skincare-line.html
I got a sample of their face moisturizer when I went to Sephora last weekend. The store girl recommended it to me because I have patches of dry skin. I didn't like it too much; it leaves an oily film and felt similar to rubbing shea butter on your face. I have combination skin and when I put it on before bed, my forehead was an oily mess the next day. But, if you have very dry skin, I think it would work very well.

For me, First Aid beauty's face moisturizer was a better fit, and I think I'll go back to buy it. It's unfortunate naming for me though; First Aid is also the name of a popular medical licensing exam review book, and I now get flashbacks of those horrible exams twice a day when I put on that moisturizer!

Last edited:

PDilemma

Is there a trick to curling hair with a flat iron? My hairdresser styled my hair by curling with a flat iron last time and I really liked how it looked but when I try it just doesn't work. Any ideas?

I just started caring about my hair again after the long years of caregiving followed by grief. My new stylist did mine that way recently, too, and I loved it. I found a couple of good tutorials online. If you google "how to curl hair with a flat iron" several will come up. I did find, though, that I have more success on my own with a curling iron, but I have to wrap the hair around the barrel by hand, not use the clip at all.

fan

hello lovely ladies (mostly),
anyone have a good reco for a very extremely super light SPF? It can have/not have coverage - but I'm going to Israel in April and I need some face SPF, and I have very oily skin.
Thanks!

Aceon6

hello lovely ladies (mostly),
anyone have a good reco for a very extremely super light SPF? It can have/not have coverage - but I'm going to Israel in April and I need some face SPF, and I have very oily skin.
Thanks!
Have you tried Neutrogena Dry-Touch? It's very light and not greasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information