Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

myhoneyhoney

My lipstick comes off onto my coffee cup in the morning. :( What am I doing wrong?

A trick I learned: put on lipstick, place napkin between lips and press lips down lightly on napkin to blot out wax and oil, reapply lipstick. This has helped make my lipstick last longer. I also expect to reapply after a meal, that just can't be helped, I think.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Some random observations from my New Year's vow to try to be more tiffed.

You could probably spend more money, but in my mind Clinique Chubby Stick in bountiful beige gives me a swipe and go eye look. I wear glasses, so the full eye requires a lot of product to be visible. On casual days, I don't bother and just swipe the chubby below my brows and in the corners of my eye.

The lady at Costco who recommended the Kirkland makeup wipes was right. The Kirklands are thicker and have a waffle texture so they seem to remove more stuff per swipe. And I don't feel bad about using one just to remove a couple of stray eye liner or blush marks.

Clinique Continuous Coverage is back in stock at Sephora in two of the lighter shades. I haven't found anything better for spot concealing and hiding the random zit. It's been hard to find, so I jumped on it when I saw it.

Since I ditch mascara every 8 weeks or so, I decided to order one of the Sephora variety mini packs. So far, I've used MUFE Excessive Lash and Lancome Hypnos Drama. The brush on the Lancôme is big...probably too big for me. The MUFE is great. The others in the set are from tarte, Marc Jacobs and blinc. I've not tried them yet.

PDilemma

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
^^Med would love this.

I was on the quest for a nice gentle brown lip color as it's back from the 90's along with chokers. I wanted to try a lip gloss and ended up trying Anastasia

Sepia
Fudge
Tara

The winner is Sepia http://www.sephora.com/lip-gloss-P404830?skuId=1791862 It smells mildly like vanilla which is nice.

Really really REALLY pigmented so I use a Shiseido lip gloss in BE102 to take the edge off: http://www.shiseido.com/lacquer-glo...-gloss&&dwvar_9990000000083_color=00083_BE102

The result is a pretty milk chocolate brown that hits the spot.

Tara is a bit too reddish for me and Fudge is a little too dark. But they are both really good colors that I am sure look amazing on many people.

I also ordered an ILIA multi stick in All of Me http://www.sephora.com/multi-stick-P411848?skuId=1874064 and what a disappointment. The product is tiny for the price and smells not good. The color is nice but this is so not worth the $$$. Pass!

As a deluxe sample I got Touch In Sol Metallist Liquid Foil Lipstick Duo in Penny. http://www.sephora.com/metallist-liquid-foil-lipstick-duo-P416137?skuId=1902303&icid2=products grid:p416137

Actually there are two ends and I tried one and am loving it. Very pretty.

Aceon6

@IceAlisa I needed a cream blush and considered the Ilia, but a deep dive in the reviews (necessary as I've got well over 40 skin) sent me towards the Stila convertible color instead. It was on sale when I got it, so bonus!

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
@IceAlisa I needed a cream blush and considered the Ilia, but a deep dive in the reviews (necessary as I've got well over 40 skin) sent me towards the Stila convertible color instead. It was on sale when I got it, so bonus!
I used to have a deluxe sample of Stila Convertible Color in Lilium. I loved it to death, one of those products you use to the last drop.

hanca

Values her privacy
I am definitely not a girlie girl, so I am absolutely lost in the world of make up. Recently I noticed that my age started catching up on me. I think it may be a good idea to start with some make up, but not too much because I would prefer to look good without spending too much time on it, and I would prefer the natural look. So I guess I am thinking about a foundation, a lipstick and a mascara. I have the lipstick and I think I figured out the foundation, but does anyone have any recommendations for some mascara? It is raining here all the time, so if possible something that stays on even in wet conditions. (I also cry when I see a sad film, so I really need something that won't make me look like a panda). I know I could go to the shop and ask for an advice, but you all here seem to be so experienced, so I would like to know what products you prefer, if you don't mind helping.

snoopy

I only wear makeup when meeting with clients or giving presentations – which I had to do earlier in the week. I had a bottle of pur minerals foundation and when I put it on, it was so cakey it didn’t help me at all (which is one of the reason I hardly ever pull out the makeup). But I was near a mall and stopped by a sephora to try the Dr. Gross Illumination CC cream recommended here. 100% better. It is essentially a foundation. Maybe the best one I’ve ever tried though it does leave the face a little dewy, so you have to like that look.

Aceon6

@hanca If you just want a dark lash look, I've found the Make Up For Ever Excessive Lash to be easy to control and it does stay where you put it. See if you can find the sample size.

myhoneyhoney

Hanca, I would suggest sampling different sheer foundations along with different tinted BB and CC creams.

hanca

Values her privacy
As a foundation I am currently trying Olay CC Total effect 7 in one cream. It is moisturiser with complexion corrector. It balances skin tone and covers any small imperfections. At the moment it seems to be doing the job and it looks invisible, so it looks pretty natural.

But the mascara is what I am dreading. It rains here every day at the moment. How do the women here do it? I will try the one @Aceon6 recommended, but probably will try it at the weekend, while spending time outside in the garden in the rain, so that no one sees me if it goes terribly wrong!

Thank you for your suggestions. Please keep them coming, because I really don't know what I am doing. I don't expect to make myself into some glamor model, but it is a big step for me to be moving from no make up at all to a bit of make up. Middleage sucks! (As long as it doesn't take more than five minutes in the morning, doesn't need any maintenance during the day, doesn't have any malfunction in the rain...)

susan6

I have a question about eye shadow. I recently purchased some eyeshadow at CVS (cover girl eye shadow quad) in shades of purple and tried to apply it and the color did not show up at all. I tried to put more and more powder on my eye lids and either the color didn't show or the powder didn't stick, I don't know what was happening. The weird thing is, I already have a couple different color sets from the exact same company but just different colors (like browns or blues), the color shows up easily. Is the purple just a bad batch?

Doing some google fu I'm wondering if it is not working because it is old. The set of purple I bought has the 4 shades in rectangles. What's sold online now has the 4 shades in swooping eye shapes. So maybe the stuff in the store was old. Does this stuff go bad after a while?

skategal

Bunny mama
But the mascara is what I am dreading. It rains here every day at the moment. How do the women here do it? I will try the one @Aceon6 recommended, but probably will try it at the weekend, while spending time outside in the garden in the rain, so that no one sees me if it goes terribly wrong!

Buy a waterproof mascara. That is the only way to survive the rain with mascara intact.

Ask for recommendations when you are at the cosmetics store.

The store clerks should be really knowledgeable about which waterproof mascaras hold up best (they are not all created equal.)

skategal

Bunny mama
Is the purple just a bad batch?

Doing some google fu I'm wondering if it is not working because it is old. The set of purple I bought has the 4 shades in rectangles. What's sold online now has the 4 shades in swooping eye shapes. So maybe the stuff in the store was old. Does this stuff go bad after a while?

It shouldn't go bad easily if it is unopened, even if it is older.

Probably just a bad product overall.

Some eyeshadows are like that even within the same product line.

hanca

Values her privacy
Now a stupid question about lipsticks. (I feel embarrassed by the level of my inexperience, most of teenagers have better knowledge than I do, but now it is time for some action.) Anyway, I hate having anything on my lips. So I would like a lipstick that I will not feel for too long that I have it on. Something that doesn't dry my lips, but is not too greasy either. And if possible, if it could stay on for the whole day... Am I asking too much, or do you have any suggestions? Any brand?

Aceon6

Now a stupid question about lipsticks. (I feel embarrassed by the level of my inexperience, most of teenagers have better knowledge than I do, but now it is time for some action.) Anyway, I hate having anything on my lips. So I would like a lipstick that I will not feel for too long that I have it on. Something that doesn't dry my lips, but is not too greasy either. And if possible, if it could stay on for the whole day... Am I asking too much, or do you have any suggestions? Any brand?
Try a lip stain. The good ones don't feel like anything at all.

Aceon6

Stila makes a nice one with no unpleasant scent.
Avoid the Maybelline. It stinks. Really, it smells off.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
We can give you recommendations for all sorts of lipstick, mascara, foundation, skin care, etc.

But, ultimately, every skin is different.
Trial and error is how you'll find which products, colors work best for you and your routine.

hanca

Values her privacy
We can give you recommendations for all sorts of lipstick, mascara, foundation, skin care, etc.

But, ultimately, every skin is different.
Trial and error is how you'll find which products, colors work best for you and your routine.
I have some idea about what colour, but I have no idea what I am buying. I bought some maybeline lipstic and it was too sticky, then I bought another one (don't remember the brand) that lasted about an hour on me (I am hoping to find one that last the majority of the day because I can't be bothered to carry it with me and reapply regularly). So I am hoping that if someone says that some brand felt good on lips (not too dry or too greasy) and lasted long, I will try it rather than keep buying one after the other and then dumping them into the bin.

attyfan

Sephora gives free samples of most things; I would guess that they also have sample lipsticks.

skategal

Bunny mama
I have some idea about what colour, but I have no idea what I am buying. I bought some maybeline lipstic and it was too sticky, then I bought another one (don't remember the brand) that lasted about an hour on me (I am hoping to find one that last the majority of the day because I can't be bothered to carry it with me and reapply regularly). So I am hoping that if someone says that some brand felt good on lips (not too dry or too greasy) and lasted long, I will try it rather than keep buying one after the other and then dumping them into the bin.

The problem with most long wearing lipsticks (ie. the ones that last 8 hours or more) is that they are very drying. And the opposite problem for moisturizing lipsticks...they come off quickly.

I usually recommend Urban Decay Vice lipsticks to everyone. (I promise I don't get paid by them haha!)

They have a good blend of comfort vs wear time (usually about 4-5 hours or until you eat a meal) and come in 100 colours. If you like medium - darker shades, they will leave a little stain on your lips after they wear off.

Sephora sells them and I'm sure they will let you try one on in store to see if you like it before buying.

hanca

Values her privacy
The problem with most long wearing lipsticks (ie. the ones that last 8 hours or more) is that they are very drying. And the opposite problem for moisturizing lipsticks...they come off quickly.

I usually recommend Urban Decay Vice lipsticks to everyone. (I promise I don't get paid by them haha!)

They have a good blend of comfort vs wear time (usually about 4-5 hours or until you eat a meal) and come in 100 colours. If you like medium - darker shades, they will leave a little stain on your lips after they wear off.

Sephora sells them and I'm sure they will let you try one on in store to see if you like it before buying.
Thank you very much for your patience with a total makeup beginner, @skategal. I really appreciate your suggestions. I am aware that I will have to try it and whatever you suggest I may like it or I may not, but at least I am not completely stabbing in the dark. At least there is some starting point and I will go from there. I will definitely get the Urban Decay Vice lipstick.

If anyone has another suggestion for lipstick, please advise. I will have to figure out what works for me, but at least I don't have to try a half of the goods from the shop first.

skategal

Bunny mama
Thank you very much for your patience with a total makeup beginner, @skategal. I really appreciate your suggestions. I am aware that I will have to try it and whatever you suggest I may like it or I may not, but at least I am not completely stabbing in the dark. At least there is some starting point and I will go from there. I will definitely get the Urban Decay Vice lipstick.

No problem. I enjoy giving makeup recommendations.

Let us know how it works out. :)

Tavi

I like Lip Chic by Chantecaille.

http://m.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/chantecaille-lip-chic?ID=685466

It is quite lightweight and sheer and comes in lots of colors. If you apply lightly some of your natural lip color comes through but if you apply more, it is more opaque like lipstick. It's not drying and doesn't seem super sticky to me. You probably do have to reapply fairly often but I actually haven't paid much attention to that as I don't mind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information