Gilles and Poirier Cheer Thread

The Observer

Carol Lane posted a photo of Piper & Paul's new Free Dance costumes for 4 Continents:

EQI05g2U0AAV8VL

nimi

Congrats for snatching the silver!

ETA: post-FD comments (source)
“I think we’re both really proud of ourselves,” said Gilles. “Having nationals only two weeks ago, coming here, I think all the athletes are a bit tired. We didn’t try to overdo it and we didn’t hold back either. I think we are very happy with ourselves, we got some great levels today. It was a little harder energy-wise because nationals were around the corner, but we pushed ourselves and didn’t let that deflate us. We really felt that the energy was good and we did everything we could do today.”

The 2019-20 Grand Prix finalists have been very consistent this season and Poirier feels that it’s proving they have been approaching their training and competing the right way.

“We’ve given ourselves the task of being on the podium at Worlds,” he said. “We feel like we’re getting closer and closer. There are still some more points to squeeze out and some more couples to beat and we have a long training block now before Worlds.”

Last edited:

yurokis40

Any suggestion on how they can finally get those level 4 finsteps before world this will be crucial if they want to be on the podium maybe another 10 day bootcamp with Zueva in Florida.

Colonel Green

The CBC posted one of its now-moot fluff pieces intended for the World Championships, spotlighting them.

I enjoy Carol's basically going "yeah, the quirky stuff never got us results, whataya want from us?"

The Observer

Piper & Paul are doing a live interview with PJ Kwong at 11 AM ET today.

It will be on PJ Kwong's Facebook & Youtube:

Debrah

Big shout out for Piper and Paul to skate their best ever this week in Sweden! All body parts being crossed makes it difficult to type, LOL!

Perhaps politics no longer favor G&P, but of all the top contender's this week, the loss of momentum due to the pandemic no opportunities to compete, and the cancellation of Mtl Worlds 2020, certainly impacted them the most of all, but this fan STILL BELIEVES in them.

I think their programs are absolutely fabulous. They are so ready for a breakthrough battle because they have tweaked the programs since the SC challenge, to make them the best they could possibly be, which was already extraordinary 14months ago, so I can't wait to see them this week! In my heart, I truly believe they have the most difficult elements and they deserve to be rewarded not just for that, but for their overall versatility and out of box choreo, with continued efforts to always improve and refine every detail. They are extremely worthy successors to Canada's dance crown and I wish with my whole heart that they will be on the world podium by the end of the week.

May the judging be fair and may all the skaters be properly rewarded for what is being put on the ice this week, not what happened in the past, or for what might be possible in the future, but what is actually best delivered in Stockholm this week!

My idealistic heart feels after watching all the top team's efforts this past season, while also reminding myself how they all skated during the previous seasons: here are my preferred medalists among top contenders in any order, but my hopes obviously are:
G&P (difficult, intricate elements, fire in belly training since SC challenge to recapture momentum + very tweaked artistic and interesting programs that now squeeze every possible point, likely to be expertly delivered with a new level of confidence, artistry, speed/flow, so shoot me, for believing my fav dance team will finally step up internationally to break through the glass ceiling).

H&D (power, speed. + the new programs that took them back into their comfort zone + being US#1).

S&B (possibly healthier thus likely more prepared than Russia#1 is, but even if sitting on ice for 10 minutes, history dictates a Russian team will be on the World dance podium, only? is, which Russian team comes out on top this week to grab the title, or at very least a medal. flip a coin!)

4 - 5 should be C&B(has costume momentum boost finally lost its luster?), OR S&K -- likely interchangeable (however, S&K looked quite rough within the elements at last Russia comp, likely due to their health issues + lack of training time, though the simple but well-acted choreo & SWR#1 seemingly still carries buckets of golden rewards) If however they had enough time to train since that comp then IMO they will be 1st or if not then 4th or 5th. Does it really matter in the long game? P&C getting healthy and focussing on OLYMPICS is smart and means whoever wins here, will likely still have a very steep hill to climb.

then 6 goes to G&F (technically great, consistent, well-trained team with new programs) or Russia #3 the darkhorse who also looked really prepared this past season with the benefit of reg comps to help them here. Should be fun to see who wins!!

My cynical head and all conventional statistical wisdom + politics says: S&K(220.42 + or - 3pts), C&B(213.18 + or - 2pts), S&B( 211.29 + or - 2pts), H&D 210.40+ or - 3pts), G&P 210.18+ or - 3pts), G&F 205.58+ or - 2pts). Before you ask, the extra point is for being their countries #1 team.

Truthfully all 6 teams are deserving of a medal and after the horrible lack of skating, I really will be happy and relieved if Worlds go ahead and everyone stays safe and healthy and able to deliver whatever is possible at this point due to uneven circumstances I hope they will hold another Olympic qualifier before winter games are held so that everyone will have a far more level playing field to secure spots. My 2 cents.

Back to the main reason for this post. GO TEAM PIPER AND PAUL! I BELEIVE you deserve the podium!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Big shout out for Piper and Paul to skate their best ever this week in Sweden! All body parts being crossed makes it difficult to type, LOL!

Paul could certainly come and quarantine with ANL after they capture their bronze medals since his home country wants them to quarantine for two weeks. I will only require two nights 🥰

Last edited:

yurokis40

Perhaps politics no longer favor G&P, but of all the top contender's this week, the loss of momentum due to the ********* no opportunities to compete, and the cancellation of Mtl Worlds 2020, certainly impacted them the most of all, but this fan STILL BELIEVES in them.

I think their programs are absolutely fabulous. They are so ready for a breakthrough battle because they have tweaked the programs since the SC challenge, to make them the best they could possibly be, which was already extraordinary 14months ago, so I can't wait to see them this week! In my heart, I truly believe they have the most difficult elements and they deserve to be rewarded not just for that, but for their overall versatility and out of box choreo, with continued efforts to always improve and refine every detail. They are extremely worthy successors to Canada's dance crown and I wish with my whole heart that they will be on the world podium by the end of the week.

May the judging be fair and may all the skaters be properly rewarded for what is being put on the ice this week, not what happened in the past, or for what might be possible in the future, but what is actually best delivered in Stockholm this week!

My idealistic heart feels after watching all the top team's efforts this past season, while also reminding myself how they all skated during the previous seasons: here are my preferred medalists among top contenders in any order, but my hopes obviously are:
G&P (difficult, intricate elements, fire in belly training since SC challenge to recapture momentum + very tweaked artistic and interesting programs that now squeeze every possible point, likely to be expertly delivered with a new level of confidence, artistry, speed/flow, so shoot me, for believing my fav dance team will finally step up internationally to break through the glass ceiling).

H&D (power, speed. + the new programs that took them back into their comfort zone + being US#1).

S&B (possibly healthier thus likely more prepared than Russia#1 is, but even if sitting on ice for 10 minutes, history dictates a Russian team will be on the World dance podium, only? is, which Russian team comes out on top this week to grab the title, or at very least a medal. flip a coin!)

4 - 5 should be C&B(has costume momentum boost finally lost its luster?), OR S&K -- likely interchangeable (however, S&K looked quite rough within the elements at last Russia comp, likely due to their health issues + lack of training time, though the simple but well-acted choreo & SWR#1 seemingly still carries buckets of golden rewards) If however they had enough time to train since that comp then IMO they will be 1st or if not then 4th or 5th. Does it really matter in the long game? P&C getting healthy and focussing on OLYMPICS is smart and means whoever wins here, will likely still have a very steep hill to climb.

then 6 goes to G&F (technically great, consistent, well-trained team with new programs) or Russia #3 the darkhorse who also looked really prepared this past season with the benefit of reg comps to help them here. Should be fun to see who wins!!

My cynical head and all conventional statistical wisdom + politics says: S&K(220.42 + or - 3pts), C&B(213.18 + or - 2pts), S&B( 211.29 + or - 2pts), H&D 210.40+ or - 3pts), G&P 210.18+ or - 3pts), G&F 205.58+ or - 2pts). Before you ask, the extra point is for being their countries #1 team.

Truthfully all 6 teams are deserving of a medal and after the horrible lack of skating, I really will be happy and relieved if Worlds go ahead and everyone stays safe and healthy and able to deliver whatever is possible at this point due to uneven circumstances I hope they will hold another Olympic qualifier before winter games are held so that everyone will have a far more level playing field to secure spots. My 2 cents.

Back to the main reason for this post. GO TEAM PIPER AND PAUL! I BELEIVE you deserve the podium!
I think they will be on the podium even though they have not competed this year they still have some momentum with the nice changes they made to the fd, C&B and S&K have skated this year but not well both teams were injured and it remains to be seen if they had the training time to perform at the highest level, the key will be the RD Piper and Paul need to get the full levels if they do everything is possible.

puglover

I so very badly want a medal for Piper and Paul!! Too bad there is no recognition for originality as they should own many medals by now for that. I've looked at Canada from both sides now - from win and lose - what a very appropriate piece of music for such a turbulent year!!

manhn

By winning a bronze, Piper and Paul continue the tradition of Canadian Ice Dance champions winning a Worlds medal at some point in their careers since 1991, right? Just a little bit of trivia.

ETA: I wonder further that given the usual withdrawals at a post Olympics Worlds, maybe they could actually win it?

Colonel Green

By winning a bronze, Piper and Paul continue the tradition of Canadian Ice Dance champions winning a Worlds medal at some point in their careers since 1991, right? Just a little bit of trivia.
Bourne/Kraatz’s reign at nationals started in 1993. Since that year, every Canadian champion team has won a World medal at some point in their careers except for Crone/Poirier — but arguably they’re a special case both in that they were never really Canada’s #1 and they split at the end of that season.

Hanna

Skating junkie
ETA: I wonder further that given the usual withdrawals at a post Olympics Worlds, maybe they could actually win it?
Considering that they are in Montpellier, France, I'd imagine that P/C might want to be saying their goodbyes there (although I'm just speculating).

Congrats Piper and Paul! :love: :cheer: :encore: Perseverance pays off. :swoon: Can't wait to see the programs they come up with for next season!

puglover

I am beyond thrilled!! Along with so much I love, I really enjoy Piper's facial expressions. They work for me. Not too over the top but yet genuine and the emotions feel real. They were both so thrilled with their marks and with this medal. I thought their comments were thoughtful and appreciative in the press conference. Really a great reward and recognition for them and their team.

VICK B.

I hope they will keep the Joni Mitchell program for the Olympics... it is immaculate program and well deserved 👏..

Any new news on Poje and Weaver ?.. are they returning ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information