German Skating News - Season 2021/2022

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Long and in-depth articel with quite some examples. Here some excerpts (maschine translated):

The really disturbing part imo:

ter Laak confirms investigation by German fed at beginning of the year, final report is available to DSOB and other authorities, allegations couldn't be confirmed.

Landessportbund contradicts, they asked fed for independent investigation by lawyer or an sports psychologist.

There are questions about C. license, too.

This is a partilulary depressing read.
and reminds me of the case of the State Ballet School Berlin, where it took a lot of pressure by the fourth estate to convince politicians to act.
So, the GermanSafeSport is doing nothing about this coach and now LSB is getting involved? I really am losing any faith in this whole "SafeSport" business. Known abusers of children that were put on suspension suddenly are taken off and their records are cleared via "SafeSport". Is SS as much of a joke as they appear?

text_skate

So, the GermanSafeSport is doing nothing about this coach and now LSB is getting involved? I really am losing any faith in this whole "SafeSport" business. Known abusers of children that were put on suspension suddenly are taken off and their records are cleared via "SafeSport". Is SS as much of a joke as they appear?
It's not the German version of Safe Sport from US. Safe Sport in this case is the name of the concept, not a institutional entity. And I agree, the concept of safe sport from DEU has failed the skaters. DEU needs to improve their procedures as well as DOSB (they were accord with the findings as it looks like)

Here is the link to the concept safe sport by DEU: https://www.eislauf-union.de/die-deu/safesport
It's only about sexual abuse. They need to broaden their definition.

J

Jeschke

Alexander König (was) resigned from his position as national pairs head coach

via Google Translate
The 55-year-old, who led Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot to the Olympic gold medal in 2018, confirmed this to "SID" on Wednesday.

The DEU has not yet commented on this, but König's name no longer appears on the fed's website. Instead, the post of national coach lists "N.N.".

DEU President Dieter Hillebrand told him in September that "Minerva Hase and Nolan Seegert are now training in Russia, Annika Hocke and Robert Kunkel are being trained by Rico Rex and that there is only one other national squad runner, Ruben Blommaert," said König the "SID": Therefore "he no longer sees any areas of responsibility for me that justify a national coach pair skating".

König then "amicably signed a termination agreement". But he could "with the best will in the world not say what sense this should make. In the middle of the season, it particularly affects the couples."

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Berlin is really the epitome of failure in Germany. Not only do they mess up politics all the time, this week they've scored two epic fails (the Caruso situation and now them talking König into resigning) in figure skating.
Well done, Berlin. Well done.

Sabine-Yuna

DEU at it's best :slinkaway

I'm wondering, if this has anything to do with H/K being so underperforming
The situation is obviously not good in Berlin. König was responsible for the last 3 years there. Hase/ Segert have left and it seems it was the best thing to do. Kicking König out of his job seems reasonable to me. He has told in an interview that he doesn't feel responsable for the top teams. They should do their own thing, whatever this means. So if a head coach pair skating doesn't feel responsable for a hand full of people (exactly 2,5 pairs), what should he get paid for?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Berlin is really the epitome of failure in Germany. Not only do they mess up politics all the time, this week they've scored two epic fails (the Caruso situation and now them talking König into resigning) in figure skating.
Well done, Berlin. Well done.

Hey, Berlin still has Paul Fentz and coach Romy Ostereich!

text_skate

He has told in an interview that he doesn't feel responsable for the top teams.
I can't find the interview. Do you have a link? I vaguely remember. When he started, the goal was to build a pairs' center in Berlin. I wonder what's gone so fundamentally wrong.

Sabine-Yuna

I can't find the interview. Do you have a link? I vaguely remember. When he started, the goal was to build a pairs' center in Berlin. I wonder what's gone so fundamentally wrong.
He gave this interview before, during or right after Nebelhorn. I'll try my best to find it, but in that interview it was also mentioned that Hase/ Segert have moved to Sochi and partly to Oberstdorf.

text_skate

He gave this interview before, during or right after Nebelhorn. I'll try my best to find it, but in that interview it was also mentioned that Hase/ Segert have moved to Sochi and partly to Oberstdorf.
Found it:
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/eiskunstlauf-neuer-schliff-an-der-schwarzmeerkueste-1.5421305

Your hint about the time helped a lot:
"Weltklassepaare müssten ihre eigenen Wege gehen."
According to him, the Berlin Pair Skating Centre is more geared towards inspiring children and young people for this discipline anyway, i.e. to win over the next generation. World-class couples have to go their own way.
I didn't have the impression, that he doesn't feel responsible. Perhaps there is another interview out there.

Tangoer

Found it:
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/eiskunstlauf-neuer-schliff-an-der-schwarzmeerkueste-1.5421305

Your hint about the time helped a lot:
"Weltklassepaare müssten ihre eigenen Wege gehen."

I didn't have the impression, that he doesn't feel responsible. Perhaps there is another interview out there.
It sounds to me like König recognizes limitations within the German skating federation and/or his position to make it a world class center so they should focus on building the young ones up and then letting them go wherever the newest hotspot is for senior teams. That seems like a realistic view rather than irresponsible view to me.

Sabine-Yuna

It sounds to me like König recognizes limitations within the German skating federation and/or his position to make it a world class center so they should focus on building the young ones up and then letting them go wherever the newest hotspot is for senior teams. That seems like a realistic view rather than irresponsible view to me.
It's just that he did not tell the senior teams that they should have gone some other place. It wouldn't have worked this way anyway because he was not paid for novice or junior pairs. He was there for seniors. If he would have send them some other place he would have lost his job even earlier.

J

Jeschke

Mixed day for #TeamD today.

GP:
H/S not much to say - this was totally off somehow
Schott - best outing so far but still with mistakes and kinda meh score. This will be a nailbiter tomorrow again :drama:

CS:

Starostin - great outing. He really has made big improvements towards this season. Great result so far; I am not confident enought to hope he can remain in that place, but getting WR points with Top8 finish maybe. His Euros spot is looking damn secure.
Stoll/Jagoda - ouch. I am really :( especially fo Jagoda who has something really nice to his skating and movements. Don't know if the switch to Oberstdorf does not work for him so far or what's off. Layout changed (so I think my quad theory was confirmed), but did not help at all. I hope the kid has just some decent skates in second half of the season. The pressure on euros and olympic spot seemed to have been a bit too much.
Isaev. Cautious but at least a step in the right direction.

J

Jeschke

Update on #juniorsrace, senior update tomorrow after CS AUT finished.

Bildschirmfoto-2021-11-13-um-15-11-58.png

J

Jeschke

Starostin missed worlds FS minimums by .12pts :drama:

I have no clue what to say about the other men.
Jagoda showed so much promise last season, no clue what went totally wrong here. Seems some kind of mental thing, partly at least.
Stoll - well, that looks just, well, not competitive at all.
I am not pro sending Fentz by wildcard to Euros alongside Starostin, but the other dudes are scoring lower than Schott.
This is tragic at its best.

Afte Olympics I expect funding to be cut short tremendously, so this will get even more 🆘

Last edited by a moderator:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I hope that Kristina Isaev does well today in the finals (CS Graz). I was impressed by her overall style with her Swan Lake SP, more so than the tech, at this point. She skates in the penultimate group. Fingers crossed!

J

Jeschke

Battle of the late dances went to Müller/Dieck.
Good fight by JvR/S, but the ship has sailed :(

I really need JvR/S to get one major in their career - they stuck around so long and improved so much. This cannot have been all for the next-in-line-spot :drama:

J

Jeschke

Update Euros/Olympic Qualification #TeamD 🇩🇪

Bildschirmfoto-2021-11-14-um-12-45-24.png

NOC standards achieved:
Schott: 1/2
Hase/Seegert: ✅
Hocke/Kunkel: 1/2
Müller/Dieck: ✅
Janse van Rensburg/Steffan: 1/2

J

Jeschke

Nüchtern/Vartmann are amongst the candidates for start-up-of-the-year by Deutsche Sporthilfe.
You can vote here for 'The knit by Mari':

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information