German Skating News 2017/2018

sus2850

Yes, it is sad that Minerva injured herself.
And with Aljona and Bruno: I think it is not a good idea to skip Euros, especially if they really want to go for a completely new short program as she hinted on during nationals. Bruno needs mileage with new stuff, otherwise he is too nervous, I fear. But it is of course their decision (well, I hope it is a decision they all took together).

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
That would be my only concern if they are insane enough to use a new SP. This will be Aliona's 5th Olympics (a :respec: feat in and of itself) and she can handle it. This will be Bruno's first and the excitement and nerves will be fierce. You need a program that you can skate without really having to think about it so the nerves don't kill you. But, maybe better to nail it down before showcasing it. I won't have any fingernails left by the end of the Olympics. I'm really hoping that's not the case. If she wants to skate a new program, go to Worlds and go for it.

Quadjump

Yes, it is sad that Minerva injured herself.
And with Aljona and Bruno: I think it is not a good idea to skip Euros, especially if they really want to go for a completely new short program as she hinted on during nationals. Bruno Needs mileage with new stuff, otherwise he is too nervous, i fear. But it is of course their decision (well, I hope it is a decision they all took together).
There is no new program. Aljona canceled their plans. Rightly so.

She announced it after the Gala in Chemnitz.

Dobre

Would be nice if Sui/Han skip the SP and skate in the FP in this case. Since Germany will probably not qualify for the FPs.

I think that is unlikely. If Sui & Han compete and China decides to make a real run at a medal, then the more teams between S&H and the U.S. and Japanese pairs teams, the better it would be for China. Savchenko & Massot are competition for S&H but could also mean a point for the Chinese team.

text_skate

What a pity H/S can't compete at Euros! I would've liked it. :respec: Do anybody know, where she hurt her back. Or ist her back already that bad, that there's always to a certain extent inflammation.

I wonder what kind of pro/con-list S/M made? This is a really bad decision to skip Euros imo. Without 3ATh they had a good chance defeating the Russian pairs in Moscow. This could've been a booster toward the medal. Now, doubts rise again, that they could deliver a clean skate at Olys, which is imo absolutly necessary for them to achieve their goal. They've never landed this 3ATh element in any competion cleanly.

It'll never get boring with Aliona. ;)

Hope Bruno will do well - without the mileage.

Jamalele

I completely agree with all of u.They themselves have to know what to do in order of the Axel.They feel if they and S/H go clean they might probably lose to them, there is a Joker missing.Personally I hoped they could bring the quad twist.... her whole carrer she didn't nail the Axel/they might hopefully suprise us?But to tell the truth I am really skeptical but I was really surprised at last they were able to clean up their throws and it took them quite long....

J

Jeschke

Marold won junior nationals with impressive 154,27pts.
She secured her junior worlds ticket with that.
Kettl came in 2nd and is 2nd in the race too. If Dastich skates Bavarian Open (or gets a bye) she is out, otherwise she is very likely the 2nd lady.

Race updates after competition has ended on sunday.

Sabine-Yuna

Marold won junior nationals with impressive 154,27pts.
She secured her junior worlds ticket with that.
Kettl came in 2nd and is 2nd in the race too. If Dastich skates Bavarian Open (or gets a bye) she is out, otherwise she is very likely the 2nd lady.

Race updates after competition has ended on sunday.
I think Dastich has gotten a bye already by qualifying for Europeans. No need to do any junior competition. She better gets some more world ranking points at some senior comp. before junior worlds.

J

Jeschke

Junior Nationals are over, the favourites won the junior events.
Here are the standings in the #juniorrace leading into the final competition: Bavarian Open.

Men:
367,54 Jonathan Hess (Nationals 184,21; Cup of Tyrol 183,27)
336,02 Dennis Gurdzhi (Santa Claus Cup 172,39; Nationals 163,63)
326,28 Kai Jagoda (Nationals 172,87; Tallinn Trophy 153,41)
300,12 Louis Weissert (Nationals 154,00; Cup of Tyrol 146,12)
299,33 Daniel Sapoznikov (Santa Claus Cup 150,09; Nationals 149,24)
161,54 Isaak Droysen (Cup of Tyrol 161,54)

Ladies:
297.28 Ann-Christin Marold (Nationals 154,27; Cup of Tyrol 143,01)
267,26 Franziska Kettl (Nationals 136,21; Golden Spin of Zagreb 131,05)
225,08 Catharina Hausladen (Nationals 114,48; Cup of Tyrol 110,60)
218,96 Carolin Hess (Cup of Tyrol 115,67; Nationals 103,29)
207,44 Laura Morath (Nationals 103,78, Cup of Tyrol 103,66)
183,85 Maelle Oberländer (Nationals 100,75; Cup of Tyrol 83,10)
146,55 Lea Johanna Dastich (JGP CRO 146,55)
121,35 Tiffany Klaunig (Cup of Tyrol 121,05)
120,88 Lutricia Bock (Cup of Nice 120,88)

Pairs:
138,64 Talisa Thomalla / Robert Kunkel (JGP POL 138,64)

Ice Dance
251,83 Ria Schwendinger / Valentin Wunderlich (Open d'Andorra 126,98; Nationals 124,85 )
221,30 Charise Matthaei / Maximilian Pfisterer (Golden Spin of Zagreb 109,36; Nationals 111,94)*
212,68 Lara Luft / Asaf Kazimov (Santa Claus Cup 109,55; Nationals 103,13 )*
207,22 Sabrina Bittner / Andrej Lebed (International Halloween Cup 110,60; Nationals 96,62 )
170,19 Anne-Marie Wolf / Max Liebers (Open d'Andorra 86,11; Nationals 84,08)*
158,53 Julia Albrecht / Kai Hoferichter (Santa Claus Cup 78,10; Nationals 80,43)*

---

* not met fed criteria

I ditched all athletes having only one event counting so far besides those, who could play a spoiler if they appear at Bavarian Open.

sandra_persch

Ladies:
297.28 Ann-Christin Marold (Nationals 154,27; Cup of Tyrol 143,01)
267,26 Franziska Kettl (Nationals 136,21; Golden Spin of Zagreb 131,05)
225,08 Catharina Hausladen (Nationals 114,48; Cup of Tyrol 110,60)
218,96 Carolin Hess (Cup of Tyrol 115,67; Nationals 103,29)
207,44 Laura Morath (Nationals 103,78, Cup of Tyrol 103,66)
183,85 Maelle Oberländer (Nationals 100,75; Cup of Tyrol 83,10)
146,55 Lea Johanna Dastich (JGP CRO 146,55)
121,35 Tiffany Klaunig (Cup of Tyrol 121,05)
120,88 Lutricia Bock (Cup of Nice 120,88)

I ditched all athletes having only one event counting so far besides those, who could play a spoiler if they appear at Bavarian Open.

Somthing tells me they wont even consider the ones not currently on the National Team ;) not that they have a realistic chance to begin with.
Ladies team for me is Marold & Dastich no matter if Dastich does Junior or Senior at Bavarian Open ;)

Eislauffan

I would have loved to see Aljona and Bruno skating here in Moscow, but I can also understand their reasons.
There won't be a new short program at least, Lindy Hop it is and they got new, stunning costumes for it. Aljona posted some photos.
I talked with them and coach Alexander König about the throw triple Axel in interviews. They want to have it as an ace up their sleeves. If they really do it depends on the situation and on how consistent they get it. So they need the time to work on that.
Doing Europeans could have been a bit tricky. Because of the Christmas/New Year shows they did they might not be in top competitive shape right now and they want to peak in Pyeongchang. But to compete against the Russians on home ice they would have needed to be really in top shape, because the Russians would have used each weakness (or at least would have tried to). We have seen how ridiculous the component scores for Tarasova/Morozov are compared to other top teams, especially for that silly free program. Stolbova/Klimov have much better programs, but they are so inconsistent. However, in Moscow the Russian pairs would have had a home advantage.
I think Savchenko/Massot are going to do the short program in the team event (Germany won't advance to the free anyway and in the unlikely case they do, Hocke/Blommaert can do the free). Doing the short program in the team event would be a great practice especially for Bruno.

Quadjump

I would have loved to see Aljona and Bruno skating here in Moscow, but I can also understand their reasons.
There won't be a new short program at least, Lindy Hop it is and they got new, stunning costumes for it. Aljona posted some photos.
I talked with them and coach Alexander König about the throw triple Axel in interviews. They want to have it as an ace up their sleeves. If they really do it depends on the situation and on how consistent they get it. So they need the time to work on that.
Doing Europeans could have been a bit tricky. Because of the Christmas/New Year shows they did they might not be in top competitive shape right now and they want to peak in Pyeongchang. But to compete against the Russians on home ice they would have needed to be really in top shape, because the Russians would have used each weakness (or at least would have tried to). We have seen how ridiculous the component scores for Tarasova/Morozov are compared to other top teams, especially for that silly free program. Stolbova/Klimov have much better programs, but they are so inconsistent. However, in Moscow the Russian pairs would have had a home advantage.
I think Savchenko/Massot are going to do the short program in the team event (Germany won't advance to the free anyway and in the unlikely case they do, Hocke/Blommaert can do the free). Doing the short program in the team event would be a great practice especially for Bruno.

Amazing post.

J

Jeschke

text_skate

Apparently both Liebers and Fentz are dealing with issues: Peter's old knee injury is bugging him again, and Paul has had a stomach flu last week. So keeping fingers crossed, they can hold on to these two spots, although - after watching nationals thhis year - I have no clue for whom.
http://www.fr.de/sport/olympia/deut...stlauf-bei-em-ohne-savchenko-massot-a-1427362

My wishes are, that Peter is able to show both programs and put a memorable end to his career. It's his last competition. Here is a link to rbb aktuell with a short piece on Liebers (around 1'40'') with some footage, when he was a little kid.

J

Jeschke

So keeping fingers crossed, they can hold on to these two spots
To be honest, I have no clue, how that should happen, but we can hope (though, as you mentioned, there seems to be no need for 2 spots anyways :p)

S

SmallFairy

Go Fentz!
I also truly hope Peter will end his career with two great programs.

Fingers crossed they have both recovered from the medical issues!

3T3T

I’m not really impressed with Konig’s comments. It’s a bit inappropriate that a coach is publicly dissing his teams rivals. While Aliona is a great skater, I’m not convinced Bruno is. The partnership is more about Aliona with Bruno as her prop. I find them a bit unmatched in abilities and maybe at times marked purely on Aliona’s rep for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information