From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

The biggest question will be is Kostornaia going to compete? If not, Tuk will get the 3rd worlds spot, which she deserves, IMHO. It would be a real shame if history repeated itself.
Chances are higher than last year for Tuk to get the 3rd spot. But. There are other skater who may outperform her at the Russian Cup Finals.

Nugumanova was 6th, above Tuk, at the Russian Nationals.
Tsibinova was 8th, right behind Tuk, with 0.71 difference.
Sinitsyna just skated at an event and earned 202+ points (while Tuk earned 204 at Rus. Natl).
(Sinitsyna lands quads in practice, IG video from last event)
Yes, Tuk won the Rus. GP, but only because Trusova had a break-down, and other top skaters were absent.

If Tuk is sent, if all skate clean with their best content, Tuk will probably be passed by Kihira, Sakomoto, Miahara, and likely Bradie, and maybe even Chen. Russian Feds are not used to Rus. Ladies coming in 7-8-9 places. And if that's the only option, for one of the ladies to come in 7-8-9, then why not send a younger more promising Lady, like Sinitsyna (if she has a quad).

In any case, we'll see what Rus. Federation's intentions are, based on how Tuk is judges against other ladies.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I would love to see Tuk make it, but as always I think there's a chance she blows it at the last minute. I don't think they'd send a skater like Nugumanova or Tsibinova to Worlds with spots on the line (of course Scherbakova and Trusova don't need them to earn 3 spots but there could always be an injury or positive crud test that knocks someone out). Sinitsina is a bit more of a name, but still, if they did not give her a bye to junior nationals, I don't see it happening. Tuk has been solid on her triples besides the axel and should be able to place top 10, could even fight for a medal if Kihira doesn't skate well. IMO, the spot is there for Kostornaya if she wants it and she doesn't need the triple axel. If she can skate completely clean with no axel, she'll get it, IMO.

Stephanie

Sinitsina is a bit more of a name, but still, if they did not give her a bye to junior nationals, I don't see it happening.
Do we know for sure that she asked for a bye to junior nationals? It might have been the plan all along to do the Moscow competition as a low-key warm up and then (hopefully) the Russian Cup Final.

Tinami Amori

Do we know for sure that she asked for a bye to junior nationals? It might have been the plan all along to do the Moscow competition as a low-key warm up and then (hopefully) the Russian Cup Final.
I believe you're right. She did not want to skate with "juniors" and/or she was not ready for this event. Instead she skated in "MS - Master of Sport" class at "Chaikovskaya Tournament". I think it is both, she wanted to start out "small" and not be associated with "Juniors".

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
i don’t think we should tell other countries how to deal with the pandemic but as long as they understand if they travel to my country they will be required to follow our safety protocols. I also think there will always be cultural differences with the East and the West. BUT if hosting an event with other nationals or partaking in an event outside of their country they must respect the host rules.

Ka3sha

Vasily Konov's interview with Aleksandr Zhulin
https://youtu.be/zaPRdiVtqQc

On Victoria and C19:
Tanya Navka helped, thank her very much. Vika was treated by the doctor who treated Mikhail Mishustin (Russian Prime Minister) and Dmitri Peskov. Thank her very much for this, because it was necessary for the right doctor to treat her in the right place.

At first it was not clear (Vika's condition), tests came negative all the time, and then, when Vika was already at home, we realized that it was indeed C19. One day, I think it was Saturday, she called and said that she was very bad, she was suffocating. We called all the best doctors, and she was admitted to the hospital that very evening.

She had a fairly serious lung injury, and the doctor said that it's good that she was admitted to the hospital. She was given blood thinning injections - in the stomach, in the thighs. In general, it was rather difficult. For about a week she was in the hospital, then she got out and still had to stay in quarantine.

Nikita had a simpler case, it seemed, but it's is such a disease that you don't understand who will have it easier, who will have it harder. I was very afraid of some complications, so their return on the ice was not forced, but now we are back"

Also, Sinitsina/Katsalapov returned to their last year's FD.

UPD: text version of the interview

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski

On Victoria and C19:

Good to hear that Vika got the care she needed at the time, I hope she continues to recover well.
I’m also pleased they dropped that MJ FD. Even allowing for the lift errors at the GP, it wasn’t especially inspiring.

Bigbird

Poor Vika, glad she got good care. Waiting patiently to see them when she is ready.
Well at least all of this is happening before the Olympics. I wonder what Zhulin has planned for the rest of the season.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Ka3sha

Mark Kondratiuk: The Banksy fan who made Evgenia Medvedeva cry
Previously more known for his art, 17-year-old figure skater aims for World Championships after breakthrough performance at Channel One Cup in Moscow

Channel 1 did an interview with Mark after Russian Nationals this year

Scott512

Chances are higher than last year for Tuk to get the 3rd spot. But. There are other skater who may outperform her at the Russian Cup Finals.

Nugumanova was 6th, above Tuk, at the Russian Nationals.
Tsibinova was 8th, right behind Tuk, with 0.71 difference.
Sinitsyna just skated at an event and earned 202+ points (while Tuk earned 204 at Rus. Natl).
(Sinitsyna lands quads in practice, IG video from last event)
Yes, Tuk won the Rus. GP, but only because Trusova had a break-down, and other top skaters were absent.

If Tuk is sent, if all skate clean with their best content, Tuk will probably be passed by Kihira, Sakomoto, Miahara, and likely Bradie, and maybe even Chen. Russian Feds are not used to Rus. Ladies coming in 7-8-9 places. And if that's the only option, for one of the ladies to come in 7-8-9, then why not send a younger more promising Lady, like Sinitsyna (if she has a quad).

In any case, we'll see what Rus. Federation's intentions are, based on how Tuk is judges against other ladies.
You can't send Ksenia. Little Liza would have more of a claim to the 3rd spot than Ksenia.

It will either be Liza who is the heavy favorite over Aliona or will be Aliona. It should be a fascinating competition it will be like Russian nationals 2.0.

Tinami Amori

You can't send Ksenia. Little Liza would have more of a claim to the 3rd spot than Ksenia.

It will either be Liza who is the heavy favorite over Aliona or will be Aliona. It should be a fascinating competition it will be like Russian nationals 2.0.
If Kostornaya shows up, skates well and regained her 3A, she will be the one favored over Liza.
If no Kostornaya and Liza skates with "reluctance", starts popping her 3A's, phoning-in her footwork and connecting moves, i am sure Ksenia is the next one up for consideration. We will know in 3 weeks.... :)

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

FS Rus. Fed. is planning to host another, unscheduled, event for Juniors (as a substitute for the cancelled Jr. World). The plan is to make it "international" and to hold it in March, yet the exact time and location is not yet determined.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Zhulin's interview is EPIC. Oh, and he is writing a book now where he plans to tell all about his previous wives. Should be a fun read:)

Will try to translate some at some point (perhaps tomorrow)
Do you maybe have a link? I'd love to read it already.

Darkverse

Pluschenko moved his groups to a new rink, built in the middle of the woods in a far from Moscow village Gorky-10, which is technically a suburb of Moscow, but it is very far. Volkov remained at the old rink with his students. Because Pluschenko's groups moved, the rink now had open ice time. This free ice time had to be sold/used. Another skating school took the place of Pluschenko's Angels, but they needed even more ice time that what was left. So the rink management asked Volkov to move, to give new school more ice time.

Now Volkov's students (whichever left) are practicing at CSKA on borrowed ice, because new Plushy's rink (Gorky-10) is very very far for those who live in Moscow.

What is Pluschy doing? he is doing what's convenient for him and according to his plans.
Plushenko is building another rink in Moscow which should open in the spring. Volkov is currently waiting for it while training on borrowed ice. As for Gorky-10, it may be the middle of nowhere compared to central Moscow, but it's right around where rich people live (it is where Plushenko lives after all and he is rich). From the point of view of getting kids whose parents won't mind any fees his school charges it is quite strategic. There is also accommodation for students at Gorky-10. Apart from the houses for Sasha, Aliona and Yulia, there is another building which can house 20 people (although at the moment only the St. Petersburg students live there), and they may be building more.

mjb52

Zhulin is in big trouble lol (or at least he had to walk back one thing he said already). I think it would be better if he hadn't said some of the things he said; nonetheless, it was an interesting interview and I enjoyed it. I guess what keeps me from ever getting too mad at him (in addition to his coaching my favorite skaters and my not being objective) is that he has a sense of humor and he is as deprecating toward himself as he is about anyone else for the most part. The little folk saying about how he spoiled his own fate by trying both to eat his fish and swing on the swing (?) with regard to his naughty behavior with Grischuk while trying to win an Olympic gold with Usova had me really laughing. Russian skating is never boring, that's for sure.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Do you maybe have a link? I'd love to read it already.
@Ka3sha posted it a bit above

On Victoria and C19:

UPD: text version of the interview

Tinami Amori

The little folk saying about how he spoiled his own fate by trying both to eat his fish and swing on the swing (?)
There is a very rude Russian saying, in an approximate translation it would be "to have you beluga, and not have to sit on a male sexual organ", meaning "wanting fine dining, but not have to pay the guy who dines you with sex". English version is much less rude - have your cake and eat it too. Since Zhulin could not use the rude version, he substituted the rude part with "swinging on the swings".

Scott512

If Kostornaya shows up, skates well and regained her 3A, she will be the one favored over Liza.
If no Kostornaya and Liza skates with "reluctance", starts popping her 3A's, phoning-in her footwork and connecting moves, i am sure Ksenia is the next one up for consideration. We will know in 3 weeks.... :)
How can she be the next one up when she basically didnt skate all season?

Now if Ksenia goes to the Russian cup file and finishes in the top 3 or 4 there then she's in play.
But there are too many other skaters who skated all season including task aides who would be under consideration before Ksenia.
However the 3rd skater is for worlds is not going to you go and finish 18th like Stasya did 3 years ago almost costing Russia 3 spots.

hanca

Values her privacy
There is a very rude Russian saying, in an approximate translation it would be "to have you beluga, and not have to sit on a male sexual organ", meaning "wanting fine dining, but not have to pay the guy who dines you with sex". English version is much less rude - have your cake and eat it too. Since Zhulin could not use the rude version, he substituted the rude part with "swinging on the swings".
I am confused. What is beluga? The only beluga I know is a whale. So the saying doesn’t make a sense at all! To have a whale and not to sit on a penis? Why would someone wanted to have a whale? And why would someone sit on his own penis? Is it like accidentally sit on it, or is it Russian form of self harm? Maybe I am overthinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information