Favorite Skating Conspiracy Theories

Foolhardy Ham Lint

What still sticks out to me was the whole Surya Bonaly and her mother thing... Conspiracies of where Surya was from, who her mom was.... Because people thought it wasnt her Mom...

They were private, and didnt speak to media much.

Her mom also served as her coach.

I still remember some of that good ole fashion 90's drama!!!

At the height of Surya-Mania, friends of mine and I used to joke that there was a spot reserved in the Kiss & Cry for Mrs Bonaly's broomstick.

aliceanne

It originated from a French report (L’Equipe, I think?) alleging that a deal had taken place between Russia and the USA to help Russia secure team gold and D/W dance gold. Didn’t make much sense, can’t win a OGM from only one judge.
The more persistent conspiracy theory was that Marina sabotaged VM by giving them inferior programs.

Rossig

The more persistent conspiracy theory was that Marina sabotaged VM by giving them inferior programs.

I'm pretty sure many VM fans still believe it was the case.

Willin

My favorite conspiracy theory was one from this very board, where a skate mom came on to complain about biased judging against her kid's ice dance team at sectionals causing them not to get to Nationals.
Because there's totally biased judges and backroom deals at Novice sectionals.

As for favorite skating conspiracies at higher levels, I love hearing conspiracy theories that are both crazy and yet still somewhat convincing: Adelina winning Sochi 2014 over Yuna due to some corrupt judging, Ashley getting no Nationals bump this year, etc.

VGThuy

The Bourne/Kraatz fans saying Anissina/Peizerat only got high marks because Gwendal's hair made it look like they were going faster than they were. :lol:

Wasn't it also the type of skirts Marina wore too?

dramagrrl

Not exactly a conspiracy theory, but the entire Usova-Zhulin-Grishuk-love triangle was one of the best dramas ever in the history of figure skating. The fluff piece on it is pure gold.
There was also a rumour/conspiracy theory that Usova/Zhulin and later Usova/Platov only got professional skating opportunities because Usova was sleeping with Tom Collins. There was also a theory that when Usova got pregnant, she actually wasn't pregnant at all (because she lied about her age and was too old to actually be pregnant) and stole a poor woman's baby instead. Of course, both these "rumours" were pretty much the crazy work of one infamous poster back in the day. :lol:

canbelto

There was also a rumour/conspiracy theory that Usova/Zhulin and later Usova/Platov only got professional skating opportunities because Usova was sleeping with Tom Collins. There was also a theory that when Usova got pregnant, she actually wasn't pregnant at all (because she lied about her age and was too old to actually be pregnant) and stole a poor woman's baby instead. Of course, both these "rumours" were pretty much the crazy work of one infamous poster back in the day. :lol:

A million depressions thinking about how fun those old threads were ...

Yehudi

AITA
Some of my favorites:

That the Ilinykh / Katsalapov split was TAT’s doing, so Bukin would have a clear path to gold

Irina Slutskaya’s annual pregnancy.

Emmanuel Sandhu has a bad performance due to a haunted hotel room.

My personal fave was some nutter who was convinced Karponosov was her friend’s biological dad.

dramagrrl

A million depressions thinking about how fun those old threads were ...
Seriously, every time Esta reappeared at FSU, it was like a warm day in Canadian winter for me. I used to read and re-read her threads and cry with laughter because they were so amazing. Some of my skatefan friends and I still use the phrase "slow like Usova" to describe skaters who lack speed. :lol:

I would definitely be willing to use BRIBERTY, PROSTITUTION AND LEIS to get her back. :smokin: :lol:

Orm Irian

I seem to remember a story about someone (bizarrely, my memory wants to say Mishin) claiming, back during the Yagudin-Plushenko rivalry years, that Yagudin's sports psychologist had...I dunno, cursed Plushenko, or hypnotised him, or something else, and that's why he started losing to Yagudin at one point.

Sports psychology doesn't quite work like that...

canbelto

This wasn't exactly a conspiracy but there used to be a group of posters who called themselves "Sergei's widows" and claimed that they were his true spiritual wives because Katia by marrying Ilia Kulik could no longer be reunited with Sergei in heaven. It was really crazy s__t. Anyone remember them? There was one woman named Donna, and another named Renee ...

VGThuy

LMAO. I remember hearing about them and them judging Katia's lifestyle choices and marrying Ilia and started retroactively painting her as an evil woman. I didn't know those women also called themselves Sergei's true spiritual wives. Now that's a whole other level of cray. That's really what it was about wasn't it? They were in love with Sergei and were fan fictioning themselves as his wife and true love and how if THEY were his widow they'd conduct themselves differently even though I bet none of them knew him personally.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Guys we're up to three babies: 2011 baby, 2014 baby, and 2015 baby. And dont forget that Tessa was apparently pregnant in Sochi?
Yes, and just take a look at these Twin Baby Girls Wearing Turkey Dresses after Sochi!!

Just kidding. Those baby girls are part of my family. They're my stepsister's sister-in-law's twin baby girls. You know something, though. They do favor Tessa a little!! And take note of their little golden shoes!! :rofl:

supergirl573

But I don’t know if she was doing it on purpose. We know Marina is...limited.
Tessa and Scott said that Marina wasn't putting the same turns into their step sequences that she was other teams so they weren't getting their levels, but when they asked her about it, she said that they need to work on their connection. That's just messed up.

supergirl573

I was on a gossip site once that has a figure skating section. They mentioned one piece of gossip that they said was banned from figure skating forums that they said explained why Alexei Yagudin never won Russian Nationals, and I always wondered if it was true, but it seemed to out there.

canbelto

Yes, and just take a look at these Twin Baby Girls Wearing Turkey Dresses after Sochi!!

Just kidding. Those baby girls are part of my family. They're my stepsister's sister-in-law's twin baby girls. You know something, though. They do favor Tessa a little!! And take note of their little golden shoes!! :rofl:

But those babies are cute, and according to the sekret source the reason the sekret babies have never been taken public is because they're "ugly."

VGThuy

Tessa and Scott said that Marina wasn't putting the same turns into their step sequences that she was other teams so they weren't getting their levels, but when they asked her about it, she said that they need to work on their connection. That's just messed up.

Is there a citation for that? I find it hard to believe that they choreographed or constructed a footwork sequence that wasn't designed for level 4 and that Tessa/Scott just went with it knowing their strong personalities and how they sought outside help before. Or were they saying Marina was giving them harder steps that they couldn't do cleanly so they'd never achieve level 4? In that reality show, Marina seemed to not know much about the tech part.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I seem to remember a story about someone (bizarrely, my memory wants to say Mishin) claiming, back during the Yagudin-Plushenko rivalry years, that Yagudin's sports psychologist had...I dunno, cursed Plushenko, or hypnotised him, or something else, and that's why he started losing to Yagudin at one point.

Wait, I remember this one. Supposedly the dude Yagudin went to practiced voodoo and committed voodoo on Plushy at SLC, which was why he fell off the quad. Bizarrely, my memory wants to say Mishin too, but I'm sure it wasn't.

Ohhhhh, that's some serious crazy stupid horseshit right there. Come on. No-one's actually stupid enough to believe this stuff, are they?

I think I saw some of the Katia stuff in youtube comments. They'd post below videos of Katia and Ilia skating together and say that she didn't look at Ilia the same way as she did at Sergei, that he didn't look like he loved her, that he looked brutish and arrogant (always perplexing given the way they skated together), that he couldn't lift her or skate pairs with her as well as Sergei (well no fcuking duh, he's a singles skater geniuses)....it was honestly sad. They truly thought Katia should have stayed in weeping mourning misery for the rest of her life.

supergirl573

Ohhhhh, that's some serious crazy stupid horseshit right there. Come on. No-one's actually stupid enough to believe this stuff, are they?
I believe Scott said it in an interview. Everyone who didn't already hate him hated him after it because they thought he was insulting Davis and White when he strictly talked about Marina. Since Scott was the one who wanted to stay with Marina when Tessa wanted to find a new coach, I think he is telling the truth on this.

Orm Irian

Wait, I remember this one. Supposedly the dude Yagudin went to practiced voodoo and committed voodoo on Plushy at SLC, which was why he fell off the quad. Bizarrely, my memory wants to say Mishin too, but I'm sure it wasn't.

Yes, that was it - the voodoo sports psychologist who made Plushenko flub his quad! LOL.

Daena

Oh. From top of my head, conspiracy theories from Russian forums.
1. Zoueva and Shpilband lured Samuelson-Bates into their team to destroy them and to eliminate a danger to DW and Shibs.
2. SKIZ drama - I can't even remember who plotted against whom, Federation, Elena's mom, Nikita's mom, Victoria's dad, Alla Shehovtsova, that Nagornyh dude- everyone has plotted against another.
3. 2014 Olympic Team event - not sure, either it was Tutberidze who plotted to cut Adelina from the team or it was Morozov who plotted to add IK to the team (hence cutting Adelina off). There are 2 versions.
4. Fresh version from yesterday - someone from Russian federation (some mother who has a son) declared a vendetta against Stepanova because she didn't agree to dump Bukin and take a new partner - Tarasova's own words after SB's FD

aemeraldrainc

I was on a gossip site once that has a figure skating section. They mentioned one piece of gossip that they said was banned from figure skating forums that they said explained why Alexei Yagudin never won Russian Nationals, and I always wondered if it was true, but it seemed to out there.

So what was the reason?

sap5

This wasn't exactly a conspiracy but there used to be a group of posters who called themselves "Sergei's widows" and claimed that they were his true spiritual wives because Katia by marrying Ilia Kulik could no longer be reunited with Sergei in heaven. It was really crazy s__t. Anyone remember them? There was one woman named Donna, and another named Renee ...

I remember Donna! Was she on rssif?

canbelto

I remember Donna! Was she on rssif?

I don't remember where I found Donna. I do remember that she said that her father had passed away suddenly from a heart attack and she honored his memory every day and so what Katia did was unforgivable because now she and Sergei couldn't be reunited in heaven. But there were a whole bunch of these Sergei widows.
I remember a figure skating website devoted to pairs skating had to be shut down because every convo degenerated into Sergei widows bashing Katia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information