Evgenia Medvedeva Cheer thread

Meoima

What is surprising (and sad) is the reigning world champion usually gets the benefit of the doubt, but not here. I am sure that in 1998 it helped Tara, although that was not the only factor. I am sure it helped Oksana in 1994. When Sarah won the gold in 2002, she had at least won a world bronze.

Here the two time and reigning world champion skated both programs very well, and yet the win was Given to a skater who had never competed at worlds, and who was less skilled in the non-jump elements. I find that baffling.
In my opinion, Russian fed still preferred Zhenia. But ISU prefers Alina because she has a correct Lutz edge. The girl with correct Lutz won, less controversy...
I am thinking maybe she will not go to WC and she needs a rest too. Next season will be new again.

Meoima

Averbukh said in an interview that Zhenia is waiting for some test result if she will have to get surgery on her foot. I hope not.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
An Olympic silver medal is not worth foot surgery? :confused:
Are you kidding? Hopefully athletes and their teams are looking at careers not single competitions...

To say nothing of the potential of a life altering injury.

Elena Mukhina people.

In the words of Irina Slutskaya...this is sport...not life.

Spun Silver

But how many skaters have had surgery without breaking their necks? Quite a few including Olympic medalists Evgeny Plushenko, Wenjing Sui and Tara Lipinski off the top of my head. I don't know any of them but I'm guessing they wouldn't trade in their injury-plagued careers.

Add Daisuke Takahashi to that list.

Last edited:

Meoima

If that is true who let that poor child skate?
Well same question for CC team, who let Yuzuru go out and skate with his poor damaged ankle? And now he is out of skating for another 3 and a half month. These athletes have trained their whole lives for the Olympics... They're willing to risk it at their own lives. At least they get their Olympic medals...

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Well same question for CC team, who let Yuzuru go out and skate with his poor damaged ankle? And now he is out of skating for another 3 and a half month. These athletes have trained their whole lives for the Olympics... They're willing to risk it at their own lives. At least they get their Olympic medals...

Unfortunately too true. I have a friend who is an OGM from Nagano. He has made a wonderful living from that OGM. I shall ask him about it. I'll be interested in his answer. I bet the answer would be different in your late teens and 20's than it would be in your 30's or 40's.

Add to that the fact that figure skating has become much more physically demanding, with the toll on the body being greater. The number of competitions has increased.
I would just like to see these young skaters have someone to really watch out for them.

In the horse world. In the Grand Prix classes, if a horse comes out of the arena with one spot of blood horse and rider are disqualified. (So if the bit rubs a bit around a jump, or if the spur rubs trying to get the horse to move off your leg)....that is it. There are also soundness checks. All the horses have to jog in front of the Oly Vet before and after they compete.

kittyjake5

Averbukh said in an interview that Zhenia is waiting for some test result if she will have to get surgery on her foot. I hope not.

Oh no I don't like this news. Is it the same injury that has been re-injured?

Injuries are a part of a skater's life it seems. I am sure that most of the elite skaters
at the Olympics were skating with an injury.

chapis

Sui competed with a fracture, Yuzuru was not totally recovered, the skaters would have to be dying before skip Olympics, plus Evgenia is not stupid, she trains with all those jumping girls, landing quads, etc, she knows that another chance for an olympic spot, let alone a medal, will be a nightmare.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I finally watched the fluff about Zhenya on NBC which was shown during the Olympics. It was very good. She said she loves to dance to any music, whether she knows the language or not. It shows in her skating. She loves to draw anime. That's why she created the Sailor Moon exhibition program. She seems like such a happy young woman! There is a warm about her skating, which I experienced in Boston in 2016. I rewatched her SP and LP in the Olympics. Both were masterpieces. It's a shame that the judges placed her lower than Zag in the SP. I hope she gets healthy again and adds more difficult jumps to her programs. She really has no chance of winning the OGM now, but I would love to see her match Kwan's five world titles, including one in Milan this year. She is a very mature young lady. If anyone can handle a heartbreak at these Olympics, it is her.

Meoima

I finally watched the fluff about Zhenya on NBC which was shown during the Olympics. It was very good. She said she loves to dance to any music, whether she knows the language or not. It shows in her skating. She loves to draw anime. That's why she created the Sailor Moon exhibition program. She seems like such a happy young woman! There is a warm about her skating, which I experienced in Boston in 2016. I rewatched her SP and LP in the Olympics. Both were masterpieces. It's a shame that the judges placed her lower than Zag in the SP. I hope she gets healthy again and adds more difficult jumps to her programs. She really has no chance of winning the OGM now, but I would love to see her match Kwan's five world titles, including one in Milan this year. She is a very mature young lady. If anyone can handle a heartbreak at these Olympics, it is her.
I really love her Anna Karenina at the Olympics. It’s the best I’ve seen her skate and interpret.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I know Zhenya had a different coach (Lubov Yakovleva, according to Wikipedia) before Eteri. I think she moved to Eteri either just before or just after turning senior. So she is not like some of the other girls who spent most if their careers with ET. I am wondering if we see any influence of ber past coach in her current skating, and if so, what is it? Is it the posture, lines that she had even at age 16? I believe her calmness and determination during competitions are her own.

zoe111

I know Zhenya had a different coach (Lubov Yakovleva, according to Wikipedia) before Eteri. I think she moved to Eteri either just before or just after turning senior. So she is not like some of the other girls who spent most if their careers with ET. I am wondering if we see any influence of ber past coach in her current skating, and if so, what is it? Is it the posture, lines that she had even at age 16? I believe her calmness and determination during competitions are her own.

Actually she’s been with Eteri for quite some time. There’s a video somewhere when she’s 12 or something and a very young junior with Eteri putting her on the ice.

DreamSkates

But how many skaters have had surgery without breaking their necks? Quite a few including Olympic medalists Evgeny Plushenko, Wenjing Sui and Tara Lipinski off the top of my head. I don't know any of them but I'm guessing they wouldn't trade in their injury-plagued careers.

Add Daisuke Takahashi to that list.
Hanyu skated at this Olympics injured - had shots to make the pain tolerable.

DreamSkates

Sui competed with a fracture, Yuzuru was not totally recovered, the skaters would have to be dying before skip Olympics, plus Evgenia is not stupid, she trains with all those jumping girls, landing quads, etc, she knows that another chance for an olympic spot, let alone a medal, will be a nightmare.
Possibly, yes an impossible challenge IF those smaller girls can still land the quads when they are taller and have a little more weight.

kittysk8ts

I see icenetwork has shared the article are saying that Meds will stay at same rink.....?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Medvedeva leaving Eteri and possibly moving to Brian Orser?

Very short article shared on facebook by account called "Figure Skating Moments".

https://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Figurnoe_katanie/spbnews_NI849284_Medvedeva_prekrashhajet_sotrudnichestvo_s_Tutberidze

Anyone know anything? Is this source legit?

Ka3sha has posted in GSD. Seems to be true.

I am now worried about her. Who can coach her at this point? May be Plushenko? Tarasova? Brian Orser will be a great choice for her. I get the impression that she likes to meet people from other countries, so I won't be surprised if she chooses a coach outside of Russia. Also the fact that Yuzuru trains with Brian could be a motivation to her (and many other skaters).

OTOH perhaps it is good for her to leave Eteri, who seems to be focused on the younger generation now. It cost Zhenya the OGM this year and probably it was her last chance.

Anyasnake

Evgenia being "free" equals coaching opportunity. If I were any coach in the world I'd try to recruit her. If I were her sponsor of the Rusfed, I'd pay for her coaching and living expense.

I have a serious question though... are there any Lady skaters over 18 that Eteri has coached and that have succeed a bit ? Genuienely asking !
Honestly it's almost as shocking as Yuna leaving BOrser...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information