Evgenia Medvedeva Cheer thread

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I never thought I would start a cheer thread for Evgenia/Zhenya Medvedeva this early in her career, but I am so impressed with her consistency this season that I feel she deserves a thread devoted to her. A lot of posters are busy criticizing her- even for her thin legs-, something she has no control over-, and not giving her credit for the fantastic season she has had so far. She has been the most consistent senior level lady this season.

Her track record as a junior was also very good. The only competition she lost in the last one year (going back to Juniors) is the COR. The fall in the SP was very unusual for her. I liked her LP very much. She chose an unusual music (W.E.) and made it work. On the ice she looks quite mature. In the K&C she looks her age.

Who knows what will happen in the future? Will she be a victim of puberty or will she fight through it to continue to be in podium contention? She is very competitive so I think it will be the latter. All the Russian young ladies keep pushing one another, so I have no doubt that she will push herself to get better in different ways.

I am looking forward to seeing more of her skating. I hope she makes the world team. Unless she bombs at the nationals or Europeans, I like the chances of seeing her in Boston.

Last edited:

Coquelicot14

Agreed. Ilia has created amazing programs, but I can't imagine anyone selling them and being better suited for them then she is!
I think that there is no threat of her missing Worlds since the 3rd spot is always at the discretion of the RF, and there is no better candidate even if she doesn't medal at nationals (which is very unlikely) knock on wood

ToFarAwayTimes

I hope she makes the world team. Unless she bombs at the nationals or Europeans, I like the chances of seeing her in Boston.

Since she won GPF, I think there is zero chance she will be left off Worlds team no matter what happens the rest of the season (barring injury).

DreamSkates

She is quite impressive, even compared to the other Russian senior ladies. At least she is having an outstanding year this year. Future is hard to say, one never knows when that bad skate will come or an injury or the next Russian phenom. Where are they all coming from? Yes, I know, Russia...must be in teh water.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I read her interview posted in GSD. She sounds like a very mature young lady. Good luck to her at the nationals, and hopefully we will see her at the Euros and worlds.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am really interested in how she handles the pressure of competing against the top Russian ladies at the nationals. My gut feeling is that she will be OK. She will win at least a silver, IMO. I hope I have not jinxed her.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
I am pretty impressed what she is doing this year. I expected her to be a contender on the circuit and for the world team but not be so dominant so fast. It also helps Tuktamysheva is struggling, Asada's comeback is a relative dissapointment, and Sotnikova no longer seems technically competitive, but she is earning it with great skating and amazing consistency.

I hope she keeps her form when she grows.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Congratulations to Evgenia on winning the Russian nationals. It's a great achievement to win in that field of talented young ladies.

papa_pl

Banned Member
Sometimes, to get a good picture of skaters careers I take a look into wikipedia.

She participated in 13 international events in her life. Medaled in 13, won 10 of them. :lol:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting from her thread in GSD:

Russia’s Medvedeva prepares for 2016 Europeans
By Tatjana Flade
Photo © Anna Kondakova
Published: December 29, 2015
http://www.goldenskate.com/2015/12/evgenia-medvedeva-2/

Medvedeva's quote re. 2016 Europeans:
“I won’t say anything about the competition, because weak people don’t go into sports,” said the skater. “All competitors have a strong character. I think we’ll work with the coaches (Eteri Tutberidze and Sergei Dudakov) day by day, according to the same pattern. My job is to train, to get ready, to skate clean, because you are your main competitor. To overcome and to win over yourself, this is the hardest and most important task.”

bardtoob

I don't know if we are seeing Zhenya peaking as a skater or if there is more difficulty to come, but it is lovely to see such high quality skating from her. I hope she keeps it up as long as she can, even to multiple international medals at the World and Olympic level.

scooter

Does anyone else thinks she's a dead ringer for the actress Rachel Weisz? They could be sisters.
It was really startlingly apparent in person at Skate America. I think with their finishes this year, the World's ladies berths are Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva's to lose.

all_empty

It was really startlingly apparent in person at Skate America. I think with their finishes this year, the World's ladies berths are Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva's to lose.

Did you mean Medvedeva and Radionova?

I much prefer the former. She is pretty and quite slender, but uses her legs and arms better than the latter.

I called out Evgenia in the summer or the early fall as the one to beat and am glad my predictions are coming true.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't know if we are seeing Zhenya peaking as a skater or if there is more difficulty to come, but it is lovely to see such high quality skating from her. I hope she keeps it up as long as she can, even to multiple international medals at the World and Olympic level.

I don't think she is peaking yet. She has the jumps. She is likely to develop artistically, and could go through a phase of struggling while she works on that. Hopefully she will continue to develop both technically and artistically.

Oddly, when this season began (her first senior season) I wasn't even thinking of her as a contender against heavyweights like Liza, Elena, Julia, and even Adelina. She has surpassed every expectation.

At this point, even if she doesn't have a stellar Europeans, I think she will be on the world team.

Edgecase

Congrats to her win at Euros. She seemed really surprised in the K&C when her scores came up because she had a fall and a two-foot. I think she was under the impression that Radionova had skated lights out, when in fact her jumps, while clean, looked shaky and off balance. Zhenia meanwhile has very solid landings and slightly better posture.

Cachoo

She's impressive. And I look forward to seeing her at Worlds. The challenge is going from the hunter to the hunted. If she wins it all this year I hope she is able to balance all of the demands on her time combined with the pressure to hang on to her Russian/Euro/World? titles with the incredible Russian field. If you would have told me I'd rarely see the women of Sochi and Eliza again (at least for now) I would have been skeptical. But here we are...

NAOTMAA

Congrats on her first Euros win :encore:

Too bad about the double axel but otherwise it was a wonderful performance. She has wonderful charisma :)

Its a little concerning that she made a mistake on the same element in the short and long. Perhaps the double axel would be more secure and easier if she didn't do it with the tano?

I look forward to seeing her at worlds. Hoping all things go well :cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information