Elvis Stojko headlines Busch Gardens show

livetoskate

I had no idea THE Elvis Stojko was performing near me at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia! What a treat it was to see Elvis, his wife Gladys, and some other amazing skaters performing there tonight. Elvis' spins, footwork and jumps were amazing, and I got to see it just about 5 rows from the little outdoor rink. Here's an article about the show:

buschgardens.com/williamsburg/blog/interview-with-figure-skater-elvis-stojko/

livetoskate

Following up on this-- the theme was a cross between Twas the night before Christmas and the Nutcracker. It started with another male skater coming out and acting goofy, pretending to slip and slide. Luckily Elvis and Gladys came out soon enough to do some real skating. Elvis was dressed in a long coat, pants, shirt with a sweater vest that had Xmas trees on it. Just watching him do simple looking turns, waltz jumps, twizzles, & a fast back spin was amazing. He even did a big axel in the heavy outfit. Gladys was in a red Mrs. Claus-looking dress. I wish I knew who the other skaters were, because they were incredible. Talent you don't expect at an amusement park skating show-- a man did a double axel and double toe, another did a back flip, and the pair did a headbanger and adagio lift. Later, Elvis came out in green silk pajamas and did a double axel, arabians, triple toe (sure looked like it!), and an incredible, fast & low sit spin. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay til the end because my son wanted to leave. It would be even better if they'd had a meet and greet. I can't remember if I've ever seen Elvis skate in person-- maybe at Champions on Ice in 1999 but the seats here at Busch Gardens were much closer. What a wonderful surprise to see Elvis and great skating on this vacation.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for describing the show! I've activated your article link below. :)
I had no idea THE Elvis Stojko was performing near me at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia! What a treat it was to see Elvis, his wife Gladys, and some other amazing skaters performing there tonight. Elvis' spins, footwork and jumps were amazing, and I got to see it just about 5 rows from the little outdoor rink. Here's an article about the show:
https://buschgardens.com/williamsburg/blog/interview-with-figure-skater-elvis-stojko/

SCeline

It's great to see Elvis active performing. Is he still involved as a coach and trainer? Certainly I remember one of his standout strengths was his mental fortitude as a competitor, and it would be cool to see him helping some of the up and coming generation of competitors.

Japanfan

It's great to see Elvis active performing. Is he still involved as a coach and trainer?

I think he was involved with Skate Canada do motivational work of some kind, and IIRC, he has also done motivational speaking.

Certainly I remember one of his standout strengths was his mental fortitude as a competitor, and it would be cool to see him helping some of the up and coming generation of competitors.

Elvis' 98 Olympic FP, which he skated with an injured groin, and his subsequently limping to the podium in his running shoes to collect his silver medal, are for me among the most memorable moments of the FS I've watched for almost 20 years now.

He had tremendous grit and a wonderful competitive spirit.

I don't think there has been anyone quite like him since.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information