Eden Prairie (Minnesota) figure skating coach charged with criminal sexual conduct with minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie S

I think the problem was the anti soliciting rule was often used by coaches to the detriment of skaters. The whole bit about having to leave your current coach before finding a new one is crazy. I can look for a new doctor, lawyer, hair stylist, daycare, trainer, etc etc without first severing all ties with my current one. Why should Figure Skating coaches be different? As the old saying goes, you can’t break up marriage unless one partner wants it. You can’t solicit a skater if they don’t want to change coaches.
Not to derail this thread, but from what I read of the rule change, the issue was that it was considered a restraint on trade, according to the FTC, b/c it prevented coaches from advertising their services and discussing their services with anyone else's student until they officially left their coach. There was a doc published by the PSA that spelled out what was now allowed and also cautioned coaches to be professional and respect their fellow coaches as they themselves would want to be respected.

Soliciting takes many forms. The behavior that the previous rule was trying to prevent was the more covert kind - coaches (either themselves or through a 3rd party, usually an adult student or kid student's parent) approaching skaters or parents to badmouth that skater's current coach and try to convince the skater that they'd do so much better with another coach, i.e. them. I've known a couple of coaches who did this and their behavior (solicitation and other bad stuff) got them kicked out of rinks. Often, the soliciting was part of a calculated vendetta against another coach who they didn't like or were mad at for whatever reason. That kind of behavior leads to a toxic rink environment, and no one wants to coach or skate at a rink where the coaches are at each other's throats or putting skaters in the middle of their personal gripes.

So the general expectation among coaches, even with the new solicitation guidelines, is that coaches will respect each other and won't actively try to steal a particular student away. It's one thing to post your brochure or flyer in the rink and another to approach a skater personally who has never contacted you about lessons. I would be very cautious about any coach who personally solicits skaters who have never expressed an interest in working with that coach before....the coaching world is like a fraternity, and if one coach seems to be on the outs or an adversary to the other coaches at the rink, beware.

Twizzler

I think the problem was the anti soliciting rule was often used by coaches to the detriment of skaters. The whole bit about having to leave your current coach before finding a new one is crazy. I can look for a new doctor, lawyer, hair stylist, daycare, trainer, etc etc without first severing all ties with my current one. Why should Figure Skating coaches be different? As the old saying goes, you can’t break up marriage unless one partner wants it. You can’t solicit a skater if they don’t want to change coaches.

The difference in this situation is that most coaches are self employed/independent contractors. Usually when you leave a doctor, hair stylist, etc., the bills are paid in full. This is not always the case with skating coaches. Sometimes students leave/hop around from coach to coach leaving a trail of unpaid bills behind them. It’s generally considered common courtesy to not take on a new student until the new coach knows the previous coch(es) have been paid in full.

Why a coach would let a bill go a long period of time without being paid is, of course, another topic.

mag

The difference in this situation is that most coaches are self employed/independent contractors. Usually when you leave a doctor, hair stylist, etc., the bills are paid in full. This is not always the case with skating coaches. Sometimes students leave/hop around from coach to coach leaving a trail of unpaid bills behind them. It’s generally considered common courtesy to not take on a new student until the new coach knows the previous coch(es) have been paid in full.

Why a coach would let a bill go a long period of time without being paid is, of course, another topic.

Except the rule, as I was told it, was that skaters/parents are not allowed to even talk to another coach to find out if they have space until they leave their current coach. That makes it very difficult to change. Absolutely the first coach should be paid in advance of starting lessons with another one, but I have also heard of situations where the first coach won’t issue the invoice until the end of the month so the skater has to wait three weeks for lessons with the new one.

Debbie S

What I've heard is that coaches could confirm if they have availability and if they were able/willing to take a student on, but couldn't schedule a lesson until the skater informed their current coach. I suspect most coaches are requesting the same thing now, out of courtesy to their peers.

I think as long as there were plans to pay the current coach and the bill wasn't considered overdue, the new coach could go ahead. But I guess there were different interpretations of that.

wouldacoulda

I agree that the old rule didn't help skaters. I stayed with a coach far longer than I should have, because I didn't want to deal with their wrath. When I finally did leave, I skated without a coach for a few years, in a different rink, before selecting a new coach. My concern with the new rule is it gives unethical/unprofessional coaches the freedom to lure students by "trash-talking" their current coach. More the exception than the rule for sure, but there are some out there.

mag

What I've heard is that coaches could confirm if they have availability and if they were able/willing to take a student on, but couldn't schedule a lesson until the skater informed their current coach. I suspect most coaches are requesting the same thing now, out of courtesy to their peers.

I think as long as there were plans to pay the current coach and the bill wasn't considered overdue, the new coach could go ahead. But I guess there were different interpretations of that.

I agree that is the reasonable way to handle things and the way it was usually done. So if that is the case, that is what the rule should say so it can be abused by a vindictive coach. Why have a rule that is not followed 99% of the time, and when it is, it is used to screw people.

mag

My concern with the new rule is it gives unethical/unprofessional coaches the freedom to lure students by "trash-talking" their current coach. More the exception than the rule for sure, but there are some out there.

I don’t understand this sentiment. There is another adult in this equation. If the skater is young, the parent is making the decisions. We don’t need to babysit adults. Restricting a skater’s or parent’s ability to choose coaching should not be done lightly and should definitely not be done because a coach may act in an unprofessional way. If a coach is unprofessional, whether it is trash talking another coach or being inappropriate or abusive with the student, deal with the coach and their behaviour. Don’t restrict the customer’s ability to select the service that is right for them. By making it difficult to leave a coach, students who feel uncomfortable with their coach may end up staying simply because they don’t want to be left without a coach. That shouldn’t happen.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
*** Charges amended in figure skating sexual abuse case :
https://www.swnewsmedia.com/eden_pr...cle_6cfde533-c2d1-58bb-9c9f-bb947fb536a6.html
The Hennepin County attorney's office has updated charges against a 47-year-old St. Louis Park man who allegedly sexually abused a teenage girl he coached for figure skating.

Thomas Joseph Incantalupo's charges have been amended to three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and six counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct. The original charges were one count of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and four counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Sylvia

TBD
The trial was supposed to start yesterday and this is today's update: https://kstp.com/news/former-eden-p...leads-guilty-criminal-sexual-conduct/5393846/
As part of an agreement reached Tuesday, Incantalupo pleaded guilty to two counts of criminal sexual conduct. He will be required to register as a sex offender.
The plea stipulates that Incantalupo serve a minimum of 12 years in prison. However, prosecutors have the option to argue for the maximum 30-year prison sentence.
He is expected to be sentenced in September.
ETA that the last sentence of this article states that sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 27, 2019: http://www.startribune.com/twin-cit...exually-abusing-girl-he-instructed/511477082/

Last edited:

bladesofgorey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information