Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria

Justlooking

For people that have some time, they can help by mapping some areas with hotosm . For now, the mapping of Turkey and Syria is only for slightly experienced mappers. But it's always nice to learn to map, so everytime there's an earthquake, or big flood you can easily help from your computer

Asli

Thankfully there hasn't been a tsunami. :eek:

In the earthquake in Antioch (Roman name of Antakya, one of the worst-hit cities) in the year 115, an earthquake of magnitude around 7.5 was followed by a tsunami and 260 thousand people died. I don't know what the population was in the region, but the Emperor Hadrianus was taking his army to conquer God knows which place and they were all camping there at the time. :eek: Hadrianus himself survived of course. Karma only hits the poor. :rolleyes:

Don't let such tales discourage you from coming to Turkey as tourists. ;)

Last edited:

Asli

Meanwhile the most conservative estimate for the number of buildings reduced to rubble is 6000. A very conservative estimate for the number of people who were sleeping there is 200,000. Around 8000 people have been rescued. I don't want to do any more maths.

Of course we'll never hear such numbers from any official sources.

Last edited:

Asli

Twitter has been limited in Turkey. Hundreds of thousands of people were using it to organise the aid that isn't coming from the government and to find and rescue family members, including lost children. OTOH many tweets criticise the immobility of the government.

Two journalists are under investigation and an academic is in custody because of their coverage of the earthquake critical of the government.

I'm sorry, I know you have other things to do than read about a day in our lives. :(

Asli

It's so lovely and touching that the state television of our oldest and closest friends, Greece, has started their broadcast with this folk song in Turkish from Trabzon (Τραπεζούντα). ❤️ This music is our common heritage, like so much more. We love you. Also thank you for saving that six-year old girl from the rubble and for crying when you did.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Thank you @Asli to keep us updated. This devastating and the official response is just making me sick. We are lucky that none of my husband's relatives or friends live in that region. I have too tried to stay away from images or video. The numbers are scarying me.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Twitter has been limited in Turkey. Hundreds of thousands of people were using it to organise the aid that isn't coming from the government and to find and rescue family members, including lost children. OTOH many tweets criticise the immobility of the government.

Two journalists are under investigation and an academic is in custody because of their coverage of the earthquake critical of the government.

I'm sorry, I know you have other things to do than read about a day in our lives. :(
Don't apologize. This should matter to everyone, for a number of reasons. I hope the people who used it to organize can find other ways.

Asli

Rabbi Isak Haleva of Antakya says: "With the end of our historical Antakya Synagogue, this great disaster also marks the end of 2500 years of Jewish life in Antakya." :wuzrobbed:

Only a handful of Jewish people remained after most of them made Aliyah. Rabbi Haleva intimates that the rest won't rebuild their homes in Antakya and will go too. This is the end of an era for Antakya and a (muslim) gentleman was sobbing while he reported it yesterday.

ETA: In the photo he is saving the Torahs and he did successfully save them.

Last edited:

Asli

Antakya_Medeniyetler_Korosu_logosu.jpg

I suppose this logo of the Antakya Chorus of Civilisations, composed of singers from all religions singing religious music in fourteen regional languages, is also history. How many such logos are there in the world?

DreamSkates

Thank you for sharing this.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
This is beyond awful. I cannot imagine the devastation and what everyone is going through. @Asli, all my heart and prayers go out to you and the people of your country. I've sent a donation, and I pray for help, relief, and healing for all.

Asli

Thank you @Kruss !
People are still being found alive in the rubble. Apparently the cold - which we had thought was a disadvantage for survival - has been a blessing because it puts the metabolism of injured people in a sort of hibernating state. :confused:

Asli

Already 300 "unclaimed" babies and children have been sent to an institution in Istanbul. :wuzrobbed:

Of course there's still hope relatives will come forward as the dust settles, but for the moment they've been sent away from the disaster zone. They're in a fantastic institution, so at least there's that.

ballettmaus

People are still being found alive in the rubble. Apparently the cold - which we had thought was a disadvantage for survival - has been a blessing because it puts the metabolism of injured people in a sort of hibernating state. :confused:
Yes, my friend explained it to me years ago when my grandmother fell with the deck door open and was still alive 7 or so hours later even though temperatures were near freezing. The drop in body temperature slows down the blood circulation so that fewer oxygen is needed and breathing becomes shallower. If memory serves, it is essentially a function that only serves the purpose of staying alive, so I have no idea what that means for the brain and what the chances of survival are after so many days once the person gets warmed up again.

Asli

Yes, my friend explained it to me years ago when my grandmother fell with the deck door open and was still alive 7 or so hours later even though temperatures were near freezing. The drop in body temperature slows down the blood circulation so that fewer oxygen is needed and breathing becomes shallower. If memory serves, it is essentially a function that only serves the purpose of staying alive, so I have no idea what that means for the brain and what the chances of survival are after so many days once the person gets warmed up again.
I hope your grandmother recovered well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information