DWTS S26: All-Athletes Edition! (i.e. the DWTS thread for NOT yammering about what happened 24 years ago)

nimi

just tuned in

I'm assuming everyone here really thinks he should have been matched up against Tonya, so she would have been eliminated.[/QUOT
Someone had to dance against Adam. Who should it have been? What would have been more fair--to have matched Adam with, say, Jenny?

No one HAD to dance against Adam except that TPTB made it so. There is no law that there must be a "dance-off" and that the winner of said "dance-off" earns 2 points. This was purely a mechanism to assist TPTB to eliminate Mirai and prop Tonya.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
No one HAD to dance against Adam except that TPTB made it so. There is no law that there must be a "dance-off" and that the winner of said "dance-off" earns 2 points. This was purely a mechanism to assist TPTB to eliminate Mirai and prop Tonya.

Well, duh, yes, they didn't HAVE to do that or anything else, either. But do you honestly think they came up with the dance off and the point scheme at the last minute just to oust Mirai and not because their four-week format demanded that they eliminate dancers? How else do you think they should have done it--aside from, say, not having a four-week format at all or having fewer dancers? Do you think all of that was also planned with the intent of booting Mirai? :huh:

just tuned in

Well, duh, yes, they didn't HAVE to do that or anything else, either. But do you honestly think they came up with the dance off and the point scheme at the last minute just to oust Mirai and not because their four-week format demanded that they eliminate dancers? How else do you think they should have done it--aside from, say, not having a four-week format at all or having fewer dancers? Do you think all of that was also planned with the intent of booting Mirai? :huh:
The dance-off has been used in many seasons and its purpose is to effect a "surprise" boot. The show loves to boot a front-runner. Some viewers complain that the show is rigged against the weaker dancers because, uh, they are not good dancers (the strong dancers are "ringers"). Perhaps the dance-off is the show's way of giving less adept dancers a chance to win. I believe the intent and structure of the dance-off is unfair. I guess everyone has his/her own definition of what is "fair."

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
The dance-off has been used in many seasons and its purpose is to effect a "surprise" boot.

What, you mean it wasn't invented just to boot Mirai? :eek:

I believe the intent and structure of the dance-off is unfair. I guess everyone has his/her own definition of what is "fair."

Perhaps so, but that's quite a different argument than "This was purely a mechanism to assist TPTB to eliminate Mirai and prop Tonya."

Inessence

It Harding has to be in the show, then I'm extremely disappointed she's not dancing to Tone Loc's Wild Thing, with a scrunchie in her hair. Wuzrobbed of bad 90's deja vu.

YES! I wanted ZZ-TOP or "People are Still Having Sex" or any of her old music. Two Tribes, 99 Red Balloons, anything but Bryan Adams really.

Last edited:

just tuned in

Someone had to dance against Adam. Who should it have been? What would have been more fair--to have matched Adam with, say, Jenny?
In the NCAA basketball tournament, the #1 seeds play against the #16 seeds. They don't have the #1 seeds play against each other, and the #16 seeds play against each other. If all the #1 seeds make it to the Final Four, that is when they play each other.

BaileyCatts

Sasha was a competitive ballroom dancer in the dance world, correct? They have competitions and world championships just like in skating, correct? I wonder how he would feel about one of his competitors being involved in a plot to injure his partner to take them out of the most prized event in ballroom dancing, and how willing he would say that all of the competitive ballroom dancers should just give the poor dear a second chance.Perhaps he should have done a little research so he could see how much lying and twisting of the truth Tonya still does to this day. They can't even get thru an episode of freaking DWTS without twisting the truth. Does he actually believe that I, Tonya was a true story? Absolutely nothing was "taken away from her".

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
But do you honestly think they came up with the dance off and the point scheme at the last minute just to oust Mirai and not because their four-week format demanded that they eliminate dancers? How else do you think they should have done it--aside from, say, not having a four-week format at all or having fewer dancers? Do you think all of that was also planned with the intent of booting Mirai? :huh:

I’m sure it was a vast conspiracy.

DWTS Producers: OK. We’ve got Adam Rippon and Tonya Harding. Now we need a third skater to throw under the bus at the last minute. Who should we get? I know, let’s get Mirai! Yeah! That’s the ticket!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
In the NCAA basketball tournament, the #1 seeds play against the #16 seeds. They don't have the #1 seeds play against each other, and the #16 seeds play against each other. If all the #1 seeds make it to the Final Four, that is when they play each other.

Yes? And therefore every competition should work that way?

I know--let's have figure skating follow NCAA rules. The two sports have so much in common that it would be a natural fit.

just tuned in

Yes? And therefore every competition should work that way?

I know--let's have figure skating follow NCAA rules. The two sports have so much in common that it would be a natural fit.
Frankly, it is talk like that which makes people deny that figure skating is a sport. (Anyway the topic is not skating, it is DTWS.)

just tuned in

Yeah, the complaint there is about how the competition structure. Hear that one all the time.

Sez the person who brought up NCAA competition structure.
Tournament match-ups almost always use the seeding system. If DWTS was strictly based on scoring, then it would be like figure skating, which is not a tournament. But as soon as you start doing match-ups, unless it is a round-robin or Swiss system, the seeded tournament structure is universally accepted as the fairest way.

Last edited:

VGThuy

It seems like these seeded tournament structures are made to ensure the best-ranked competitors make it to the finals because it makes for a more exciting final and there's a better chance there won't be a blow out where one team/competitor is way more stacked than the other. When upsets happen, it's when a lower-ranked competitor/team surprises people in the earlier rounds and start building up their confidence and upsets higher-ranked teams in their bracket until they make the semis/finals. That's why we hardly see seeds 1 and 2 or even 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 compete against one another early on in a tournament. That's why I guess some thought it was odd for Mirai, who was tied in second in the scoring, to be paired with Adam and some see it as a move to get rid of her as anybody who would be paired with Adam would be eliminated it seems. I mean, considering everything else said about DWTS in years past, from what I gathered in this thread, it doesn't seem that implausible to really fight over.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I have no doubt there is producer manipulation in basically every reality show out there, but I still think people are failing to accept that Tonya most likely has a huge following outside of the figure skating bubble.

Marcia Clark was scrutinized for almost the same amount of time because of what people believed, and the FX TV show about the OJ trial helped her to become very, very popular and extremely well-liked. I’m not saying that Tonya is the exact same, but it is the exact same situation where a TV show/movie paints a picture of how things could have went (who knows, maybe they did go exactly as shown on screen) and it helps that person gain extreme popularity. I’m sure there are others that it’s happened to recently, as well.

With that said, I don’t find it extremely hard to believe that Tonya received more votes than Mirai.

VGThuy

With that said, I don’t find it extremely hard to believe that Tonya received more votes than Mirai.

But that didn't really have anything to do with how the elimination worked, right? It was just based on judges' scores, which is how Tonya made it to finals over Jennie, who received more votes than Tonya. Since Tonya and Mirai never paired off, we don't know who would have won the popular vote between the two, unless I'm wrong about that. I guess the best indicator is which YouTube video has more views, which is not a very good indicator.

Regarding the question of fairness, I question this whole need to have these sort of elimination-style pair-offs. It sounds like the producers came up with this probably a few years ago to get rid of people systematically. So whoever the judges think won't make good TV or needs to be sacrificed in order to ensure somebody else who makes for better TV advances, all they have to do is pair them up with whoever is the judge's and crowd favorite and that'll ensure their elimination. It's not really about Mirai so much as making sure certain people and certain dynamics make it to the finals. I can see the producers seeing the possibility of having three skaters in the finals not being good to drum up excitement for it, and they know Adam is not going anywhere and they rather have Tonya since she makes for better television.

This is almost like They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Last edited:

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
But that didn't really have anything to do with how the elimination worked, right? It was just based on judges' scores, which is how Tonya made it to finals over Jennie, who received more votes than Tonya.

It sounds like the producers came up with this elimination-style pair offs probably a few years ago to get rid of people systematically. So whoever the judges think won't make good TV or needs to be sacrificed in order to ensure somebody else who makes better TV advances, all they have to do is pair them up with whoever is the judge's and crowd favorite and that'll ensure their elimination. It's not really about Mirai so much as making sure certain people and certain dynamics make it to the finals. I can see the producers seeing the possibility of having three skaters in the finals not being good to drum up excitement for it, and they know Adam is not going anywhere and they rather have Tonya since she makes for better television.

No. In the head to head dance, the judges’ scores were the primary factor. In the elimination at the end of the show, it’s a mixture of judges’ scores and votes from the last week. It’s a sekret formula, though, so nobody knows what carries more weight. (Or at least, I don’t know. Maybe it’s out there somewhere.)

VGThuy

No. In the head to head dance, the judges’ scores were the primary factor. In the elimination at the end of the show, it’s a mixture of judges’ scores and votes from the last week. It’s a sekret formula, though, so nobody knows what carries more weight. (Or at least, I don’t know. Maybe it’s out there somewhere.)

Thank you for the correction. I thought because Adam beat Mirai by two points or whatever, it means she was eliminated. That's how some articles made it sound like.

Sorry for being slow, but can you explain to me what exactly was the purpose of the pair-offs?

miav9

I don't like Adam's songs for the finale, in the sense that they seem to be more fun than really emotional (unlike Tonya's and even Josh's). Though I do think he'll benefit from these 2 upbeat songs that allow for more side-by-side dancing than partnering like he did with "Sissy That Walk" in the first week (versus how he struggled with the quickstep in week 2).

Thank you for the correction. I thought because Adam beat Mirai by two points or whatever, it means she was eliminated. That's how some articles made it sound like.

Sorry for being slow, but can you explain to me what exactly was the purpose of the pair-offs?

The pair-offs are a common element of DWTS so they probably wanted to squeeze a dance-off segment in before the end of the shorter season. Hypothetically, someone could lose the dance-off but still remain on the show if they received enough votes last week or received high scores from the judges. But I do think it's telling that every competitor who lost the pair-off was sent home.

RoseRed

So the elimination was a combo of judges points and votes from last week. The judges points this week was a combo of the scores from the individual dance and the dance off. The dance-off winners had two points added to their total from the individuals.

So the judges points ended up:
1. Adam - 41 (39+2)
2. Josh - 38 (36+2)
3. Mirai - 35
3. Tonya - 35 (33+2)
5. Chris - 33
6. Jennie - 29

So, Mirai and Tonya ended up with the same number of judges points, so then viewer votes from last week come into play (unless you believe that it's just fixed).

VGThuy

So the elimination was a combo of judges points and votes from last week. The judges points this week was a combo of the scores from the individual dance and the dance off. The dance-off winners had two points added to their total from the individuals.

So the judges points ended up:
1. Adam - 41 (39+2)
2. Josh - 38 (36+2)
3. Mirai - 35
3. Tonya - 35 (33+2)
5. Chris - 33
6. Jennie - 29

So, Mirai and Tonya ended up with the same number of judges points, so then viewer votes from last week come into play (unless you believe that it's just fixed).

Thank you for explaining that. I guess you can say the pair-offs created a situation where Tonya got 2 extra points and Mirai did not, and thus Tonya benefitted from being in a position to still be in the running. In the end, Tony was right and Tonya got more votes than Mirai. So though the whole set up seems sort of iffy, ultimately, Mirai did not lose due to the pair-offs but the votes themselves, so I don't see the need to complain too much about who was paired off with who since the producer manipulation was tempered by the popular vote.

RoseRed

Thank you for explaining that. I guess you can say the pair-offs created a situation where Tonya got 2 extra points and Mirai did not, and thus Tonya benefitted from being in a position to still be in the running. In the end, Tony was right and Tonya got more votes than Mirai. So though the whole set up seems sort of iffy, ultimately, Mirai did not lose due to the pair-offs but the votes themselves, so I don't see the need to complain too much about who was paired off with who since the producer manipulation was tempered by the popular vote.
And even if the dance off hadn't happened, Tonya could still have come in ahead of Mirai if she had enough of a lead in votes.

But yeah, I think that's about it. I get why if they decided to do a dance off, they put Mirai against Adam, since he's significantly better than the others (imo). But of course, they didn't have to do one at all.

meggonzo

Banned Member

Obviously producer manipulation so Tonya could tie Mirai in points, so Mirai would get eliminated and Tonya would make the final! :p

LarrySK8

It seems like these seeded tournament structures are made to ensure the best-ranked competitors make it to the finals because it makes for a more exciting final and there's a better chance there won't be a blow out where one team/competitor is way more stacked than the other.

This comment is just plain stupid.

VGThuy

This comment is just plain stupid.

Except it’s not since most tournaments are pretty much conducted in a way so that the top seeds don’t pair up during the elimination rounds until the later rounds.

You have a real need to try to put others on this forum down as you do it constantly despite the fact that you exhibit the same behaviors that you accuse everybody else of doing. I don’t know how you conduct yourself with your loved ones at home, but I’m not going to play your game as I’m not your bitch, so don’t put your shit on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information