Donate Help Me Reclaim My Birthday and get to Mammoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 221

Why not consider finding a less expensive way to "reclaim" your birthday? You seem to want to help others, which is great. Maybe you could spend the day volunteering to help the less fortunate. Volunteering is also a great way to build connections and form networks that can help you get better jobs.

In terms of finding release from exercise, running is great and cheap! Buy a pair of $50 running shoes, and you're good for 500 miles.

LordCirque

Maybe I should have made installments, but it would have probably taken me just as long to pay them off in installments anyway. Plus there were a lot of years I made some very bad decisions, during those years I was "AWOL." I fully take responsibility for the mistakes and bad decisions I made in this particular situation.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
People who want to change do. People who don't want to make excuses. Like throwing out DSMV diagnoses like they are viable reasons for being an underachiever. While many struggle (uh, hello, PTSD from various sources, including being a Gulf War veteran, plus generalized social anxiety disorder here), many who struggle are able to actually achieve on their own, and are generally more grateful for it.

I don't doubt that you struggle. But, you are not some precious special little one who is alone in that struggle, and it seems like you are more invested in being a victim who is rescued than rescuing yourself. If you can't afford Mammoth, why not spend money on a local ski day where you are, and perhaps a less expensive hotel? (How have you been achieving ski lessons without having actually gone skiing, and thus rented equipment, obtained clothing and gear, etc?) Or perhaps you can re-claim your birthday by doing something else special for yourself, that is more within your budget, and save up for this trip, which will then give you even greater satisfaction when you go on it?

I tend to be a generally compassionate person. But there comes a time for "suck it up, buttercup".

oleada

I really doubt that when your therapist said to "reclaim your birthday", they meant begging for the funds to take a trip you clearly can't afford. There are many things that you can do to have a fulfilling, healing birthday that don't involve going on a trip to go skiing. Go running, go hiking, get a massage, have a spa day - some of these are free, and certainly they're all under $3k.

I gotta ask - how can you take skiing lessons yet never been skiing?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
l do have a job, thank you very much, and I am putting a lot of my own money into this myself, I'm simply asking for help as it is very expensive.

That's not what you said on the GoFundMe. You said you didn't have a real job.

Oh and by the way, you entitled twatwaffle, your top half goal is more than half of what my budget is for my holiday to the US - a holiday that entails flying to the other side of the world with a woeful currency conversion and will last a month. I've scrimped and saved to pay for my trip - so what's your excuse?

LordCirque

I'm not pretending to be any of those things, and I have my reasons, and I have been paying for my own lessons, at a local place here.

I've achieved a lot on my own and fully intend on achieving a lot more. My life may not be moving forward at a pace you deem worthy, but it is moving forward and I am working on it everyday. I've had to discover a lot of things about myself over the past few years so I actually can be the truly successful person I want to be and am fully capable of being, one of which was finally getting my BA degree from UCLA (albeit a passion degree, though at the time I was certain I was going the grad school route and realized too late I was not going to, another mistake I fully admit to).

LordCirque

Most of the 3k, is for future training, not this particular trip. And no I don't have a "real" 40 hour a week salaried office job, like I would like to have, so I could do things like this on my own without having to ask for help, but I do have a job, maybe an underemployed one, but it is one I do have, and one I do very well, regardless of what it is.

oleada

Most of the 3k, is for future training, not this particular trip. And no I don't have a "real" 40 hour a week salaried office job, like I would like to have, so I could do things like this on my own without having to ask for help, but I do have a job, maybe an underemployed one, but it is one I do have, and one I do very well, regardless of what it is.
Well, it's great that you have a job, but is "living within your means" a concept you do not understand? If nature and being outdoors is healing to you, you can go running or hiking and achieve that at a fraction of the cost.

LordCirque

And I honestly only need a few hundred more if that. When I started that, I used the logic of selling a house, you want to see your house for 500,000k, you list it at 650,000k. It was honestly an arbitrary number.

I was hoping for, and never expected, to get more than 100 or 200 dollars at best.

Last edited:

LordCirque

Well, it's great that you have a job, but is "living within your means" a concept you do not understand? If nature and being outdoors is healing to you, you can go running or hiking and achieve that at a fraction of the cost.

Yes I am, and currently it is somewhat within my means, but it won't be much longer. And the full experience I had last year on my birthday still causes me mild levels of PTSD (Hardly on the level I expect Kasey and others experience) but it was a very bad experience for me. So I need to do something big for myself so my birthday is not the year I ended up in hospital and had the single worst night of my life, it's about trying to replace a lot of extremely bad experiences and memories that happened a year ago this time. I don't want to have THAT define my birthday for the rest of my life, so I have to do something big for myself. Which is why I'm trying to do something for big for myself.

And for the record, my therapist is in full support of this trip.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Don't tell me ! You're hawking "forever living" or some other MLM "live the dream" bullshit?

LordCirque

I'm not trying to fleece anything of anyone, you want to donate, fantastic, if you don't, fantastic. I'm not hiding anything or putting up any kind of charade.

And yes, I do believe I told I set up a GoFundMe, just to see what would happen and if I could get a little extra help for it. And she said it was worth a shot just to see.

misskarne

Well, actually, you are, by your own admission. You claim to not have a "real" job (but you have one), you claim you only need a few hundred but on the page you're asking for $3000 - and I'll bet if somehow you got the $3000 you wouldn't then admit that you only needed a couple of hundred and return that money, would you?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Last weekend I watched "welcome to me" with Kristen Wiig. She had mental illness and won the lottery and decided to make a show all about her life. Every one of her friends ended up hating her by the end but she got her show, gosh darn it. This is starting to feel like that. Louis is a million percent right, the best way to heal yourself besides therapy is to help others. Habitat for Humanity perhaps. This ski career will help nobody but you, and even that would be debatable.

LordCirque

Well, actually, you are, by your own admission. You claim to not have a "real" job (but you have one), you claim you only need a few hundred but on the page you're asking for $3000 - and I'll bet if somehow you got the $3000 you wouldn't then admit that you only needed a couple of hundred and return that money, would you?

I would if this turned out to be a one off thing and will not become a regular thing for me. But If for some reason I did get 3k, it would all go toward future skiing related things, if it does become a thing.

And yes, right now, the only person I am interested in helping is myself. Once I help myself get back to myself, then I can really start to help others.

misskarne

I would if this turned out to be a one off thing and will not become a regular thing for me. But If for some reason I did get 3k, it would all go toward future skiing related things, if it does become a thing.

Oh, future trips to ski resorts that you then don't have to pay for. Right. But I suppose if it does "become a thing" you'll be asking for more money anyway.

And by the way, if you're going to be begging for money, I would expect a NO alcohol clause. Not a "some". If I was donating to a "therapy ski trip", I would be furious to know my money was being used for alcohol.

LordCirque

Oh, future trips to ski resorts that you then don't have to pay for. Right. But I suppose if it does "become a thing" you'll be asking for more money anyway.

And by the way, if you're going to be begging for money, I would expect a NO alcohol clause. Not a "some". If I was donating to a "therapy ski trip", I would be furious to know my money was being used for alcohol.

I don't drink because of the medication I take, beyond a single glass of wine or two on very rare occasions, and haven't even had one of those since I believe June. I'm certainly not going to be racking up a 200 dollar bar tab. That isn't even in the realm of things that interests me, even in every day life, and I can count the number of times in my life I've been drunk, soooooooo.

misskarne

I don't drink because of the medication I take, beyond a single glass of wine or two on very rare occasions, and haven't even had one of those since I believe June. I'm certainly not going to be racking up a 200 dollar bar tab.

Another one of your misleading statements, since on your GoFundMe page you clearly use the words "little alcohol" which means you plan on drinking.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I'm going to try and be gentle, but there are also some very harsh truths.

Yes, having a mental illness in a judging society is difficult. Struggles are real. Having a significant breakup on a significant date in your life is a struggle. Having to grow up not sure of one's sexuality (IIRC, you came to grips with being gay? Or am i missrembering?) Those struggles are real.

But realistically, if a 15 hour stay in an Emergency Department post breakup stay is one of the worsest days of your life, you might want to spend some time volunteering in a cancer or hospice or alzheimer's or ALS or a number of other devastating illnesses units. Or time with families who loved ones were victims of a violent death situation. Or many other situations. And yes, it is a struggle when people tell you that you haven't experienced pain. I believe you have, but so have many other people.

I suspect that whoever suggested you reclaim your birthday with a joy memory vs. a tragic memory was not suggesting you do the greatest biggest dream but find something that allows you to focus on something other than pain. It might be journaling, or imagery. But if you think the only way to forget about pain is to take a dream vacation - your mind will, and I say this all possible reality, find a way to be in that bad moment.

Life is not fair, if it was no one would struggle. When people who act out of kindness, and are respected by many on this board, and we feel you took advantage of that kindness....well your self centered reputation is well deserved.

Getting into a pissing contest with the board owner, who by hard work, made a successful business of the board, is not a smart or recommended move..

You may have come a long way in your estimation and maybe you have. But this action of asking to fund a vacation doesn't show that you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information