Does french figure skating have a culture of rape ? FFSG in the storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viscaro

From what I understand there probably will be a delegation if the FFSG does not back down, but not from the FFSG. I think this is what the talks about the French Olympic Comitee are about right ?

I am surprised by the FFSG and DG. Covering sexual abuse for years it at another level of evil. The full support they had for Cipres in hindsight should have been another clue. I hope the French Minister does not back down. She is right to hold them accountable.

Vagabond

Boy am I feeling badly for Aymoz and P/C, both of whom are possible/lock medal contenders in Montreal. I wonder if the Sports Minister will wait to strip the Federation of its official status until after Montreal.
I wonder if there might not be something worked out akin to what is going to happen for Russian athletes, i.e., they will be treated as "independent athletes," provided that they can demonstrate in some fashion that they are not part of the vast exploitative konspiracy. (That might keep James & Ciprès out but let in just about every other currently active French skater.)

Primorskaya

Actually, the reason this seems really weird to me is I'm pretty sure I remember that DG took against Joubert and tried to derail his career at least once! But abusers groom their victims, and DG may never have committed a sexual assault but he's been committing psychological warfare against French skaters for years and that's its own kind of abuse (I'll never forget that video clip where P/C found out that he had banned their coach from going to Euros with them in their first year as Seniors...they looked so defeated, so early on in their careers, it was obvious they knew exactly what was happening and why). So who knows what the situation looks like from Joubert's vantage point? He may be seeing what DG wants him to see.

ETA: Just seen this: there's apparently a possibility for French skaters to go to Worlds under the aegis of the French Olympic Committee, but if they do it will be without any Federation support (i.e. funding and so on, I presume).

Well it's one strategy of master manipulators to not only blow hot and cold with the same person, but also to make sure they keep some people "unharmed", removed from the eye of the storm, so as to always have witnesses ready to say "I don't understand all this, he's always been super friendly with me" etc...

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Didier is having a press conference on Wednesday according to Hersh. On my amazingly long list of people I'm glad I don't have to do PR for....

nimi

I really hope she'll follow through (and prove Candeloro wrong). And that this time Gailhaguet won't come back (which was Peizerat's concern in the interview I posted: "Didier Gailhaguet has already been forced to resign. It's happened before. He was forced to resign in 2004. Now, the minister is not going to make him ineligible. The only ones who can prevent his return, because he has already returned several times, are the club presidents.")

Video clip of Maracineanu's announcement & some additional info in this thread:
According to a twitter user who works in sports law: in the event of decertification, FFSG can no longer receive state aid and affiliated clubs lose their accreditation as well, and thus the possibility of receiving state aid & municipal subsidies. I guess this means the club presidents have a strong financial incentive to kick Didier out (if he refuses to resign) in order to avoid decertification?

text_skate

AFAIR Joubert supported G. over Peizerat, when G. ran for president for FFSG.

For me the most disturbing thing in this is, that G. has so many supporters in the fed. This is very disturbing. I guess he has supporters in politics, too. Otherwise no-one could run a system like that for decades.

IMO G. removing himself from top of FFSG can only be a first step.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
AFAIR Joubert supported G. over Peizerat, when G. ran for president for FFSG.

For me the most disturbing thing in this is, that G. has so many supporters in the fed. This is very disturbing. I guess he has supporters in politics, too. Otherwise no-one could run a system like that for decades.

IMO G. removing himself from top of FFSG can only be a first step.

Time to "nettoyer la merde".

Orm Irian

Well it's one strategy of master manipulators to not only blow hot and cold with the same person, but also to make sure they keep some people "unharmed", removed from the eye of the storm, so as to always have witnesses ready to say "I don't understand all this, he's always been super friendly with me" etc...

A couple of other people on Twitter have also pointed out that as DG has not yet resigned, and even Candeloro thinks he'll never jump until he's pushed, Joubert may be trying to protect the careers/opportunities of Adam Siao Him Fa and Lea Serna.

Primorskaya

A couple of other people on Twitter have also pointed out that as DG has not yet resigned, and even Candeloro thinks he'll never jump until he's pushed, Joubert may be trying to protect the careers/opportunities of Adam Siao Him Fa and Lea Serna.
Hm. I think he's putting himself on the wrong side of history regardless. You just can't ignore that many people speaking up, after a while, if you're in good faith, you start reassessing what you thought was true.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
The thing is that Didier G. also did good things, very good things. It's hard to reconcile the man before 2002 and the man he has become since then.

Desperado

Is Lea Serna the poor girl who had a bad FS at Europeans whom Joubert sat next to in the K&C, treating like she didn't exist, offering no support what so ever? I felt so bad for her. I think that behavior tells a lot about how much he cares about his skaters.

Orm Irian

Is Lea Serna the poor girl who had a bad FS at Europeans whom Joubert sat next to in the K&C, treating like she didn't exist, offering no support what so ever? I felt so bad for her. I think that behavior tells a lot about how much he cares about his skaters.

I don't think that necessarily means much. Some coaches just don't seem comfortable reacting naturally when their student has had a bad day on the ice and is miserable and they're also acutely aware that they're on camera. Have a look at the kiss and cry after Diana Nikitina bombed her SP at Euros so badly a couple of years ago that she could hardly breathe for weeping in the aftermath if you want to see a highly unedifying example of just such a phenomonon - and I don't recall anyone ever claiming that Lambiel doesn't care about his students.

Off topic diversion over for the moment. :)

Bill Trenary

MsZem

I see the sea
I don't think that necessarily means much. Some coaches just don't seem comfortable reacting naturally when their student has had a bad day on the ice and is miserable and they're also acutely aware that they're on camera. Have a look at the kiss and cry after Diana Nikitina bombed her SP at Euros so badly a couple of years ago that she could hardly breathe for weeping in the aftermath if you want to see a highly unedifying example of just such a phenomonon - and I don't recall anyone ever claiming that Lambiel doesn't care about his students.

Off topic diversion over for the moment. :)
OT indeed :) but Joubert doesn't seem to be a demonstrative coach in the K&C regardless of what the skaters he works with do. IIRC he looked about the same with Adam Siao Him Fa, and Adam had an excellent free skate. Maybe that's not right for Lea Serna, but that's really for her to say. I do hope that she's usually happy with her training and skating. At this point it's hard not to question what you see when it comes to the French skaters :(

Last edited:

cheremary

FWIW, in that Europe1 article linked above, while Joubert did say DG was like a second father to him, he also called the skaters’ testimonies very courageous and called for justice to be done so that a good image to the sport can be restored. I think the headline just made it seem like he only spoke in support of DG.

IIRC, DG helped Joubert during several coaching changes (I believe he brought Andrei Berenzitsev to Poitiers after Joubert and Véronique Guyon parted ways). I’m sure there are other examples of this, but I can believe Joubert would’ve appreciated DG’s support during his career while also wanting justice to be served in this situation.

nimi

Another former skater speaks out in support of Abitbol and tells about her own experiences of having to put up with Beyer's inappropriate touching and comments for years:

Primorskaya

FWIW, in that Europe1 article linked above, while Joubert did say DG was like a second father to him, he also called the skaters’ testimonies very courageous and called for justice to be done so that a good image to the sport can be restored. I think the headline just made it seem like he only spoke in support of DG.

IIRC, DG helped Joubert during several coaching changes (I believe he brought Andrei Berenzitsev to Poitiers after Joubert and Véronique Guyon parted ways). I’m sure there are other examples of this, but I can believe Joubert would’ve appreciated DG’s support during his career while also wanting justice to be served in this situation.
I hadn't seen the whole article. I'm glad to hear he's being supportive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information