Disson Skating Shows discontinued

Willin

It's sad that these shows are going away, but I wish they'd do fresh stuff. Skating and Gymnastics was fun when it first came out because it was something I'd never seen before.

The reason I didn't watch any of these was because they were all similar or too sentimental. I've seen all these numbers and moves and choreography before (Well, not the exact same thing, but similar things). A choreographed number to a power ballad or normal ballad or generic/popular song isn't interesting - they're in literally every show and competition exhibition on US TV these days. Doing a holiday or family themed show also isn't exactly new.

I would like to see shows like in Japan where popular movies/media are referenced (maybe for a number or two) or more comedic routines (Plushenko's sex bomb, Javi's workout routine). It would be super cool to see a ballet on ice like they do in Russia, or even a more American musical on ice. Perhaps making interesting duets would also make things more interesting - I'd like to see a two princes-like routine with two of the US men (maybe Nathan vs. Vincent?) or seeing skaters try to skate old routines from their competitors. If shows likes these or Stars on Ice did those sorts of things instead, I'd pay to see them.

blue_idealist

They haven't shown the entire show in the US for several years.
A much shortened "promo" version, with a few programs, has occasionally been made available.
However, individual stations across the country need to buy/broadcast it for us to be able to watch.

The Canadian version is usually an hour, and a few programs are cut, but most of the show is still included. I think I missed last year's though.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I never cared for the Disson shows but I am saddened by this news. At least there was some skating here, past the eligible competitions. Now there us nothing (almost)

tylersf

Vegas has produced shows featuring figure skaters. When I was young, I saw Burt Lancon (old time US Pairs skater) perform at a show with my parents at a hotel in Las Vegas.

RD

On one hand, sad to see it go - TV coverage aside, attending a couple of these shows gave me opportunities to see - and even meet(!) - skaters I would otherwise would never have had the chance to watch live.

On the other hand, perhaps it's signaling the end of one era - and the time for someone else, should the demand be there, to fill the void and start another one.

skatfan

On the other hand, perhaps it's signaling the end of one era - and the time for someone else, should the demand be there, to fill the void and start another one.

It would have to be someone who could reinvent the shows and we'd have to have some star power to go with it. Meryl and Charlie will be Four years out from their Oly Gold, and seem focused on their Dance show, which has a point of view, and the Love on the Floor and the Skating in Detroit program for the next year.

Neither of the Chens sound like they want a pro career with talk of college after Korea, and the Shibs, for all that they know social media, are not the skaters to lead a production.

It's going to be hard for a while, since we'd dont seem to have a pipeline of top single skaters coming up from juniors (except vincent).

RD

It would have to be someone who could reinvent the shows and we'd have to have some star power to go with it. Meryl and Charlie will be Four years out from their Oly Gold, and seem focused on their Dance show, which has a point of view, and the Love on the Floor and the Skating in Detroit program for the next year.

Neither of the Chens sound like they want a pro career with talk of college after Korea, and the Shibs, for all that they know social media, are not the skaters to lead a production.

It's going to be hard for a while, since we'd dont seem to have a pipeline of top single skaters coming up from juniors (except vincent).

Yes, and not to mention many of the skaters that have traditionally skated in these shows the last few years also seem to be looking to move on to the next phase of their lives. They may see the writing on the wall now.

Many of the charity shows have also disappeared. Skate for Hope seems to be returning this year, and Harvard has its Evening with Champions show. It looks like for those who want to see live skating in the US, the opportunities for next couple of years at least will be (even more) heavily localized. As in, local skate clubs hosting small shows with local skaters, or cities/malls hosting Christmas skating shows in the town square or mall rink.

Still - all that said, you never know - there has been recent chatter about bringing back one or more forms of pro skating, so we'll see.

Last edited:

Kecasyl

These shows once they started being referred to as Disson """"" on ice then they sucked.
They piped in the annoying audience noises that drove me and others I know crazy, there was also no variety with the shows and the themes (as others have said).
The most fun show this series did was the couple of years they had "improv on ice" where you could vote and skaters really impressed. Years ago they had a "Divas on Ice" show that was always great.
But Disson took the lead on these shows and they became the same boring shows with Skaters most of todays casual viewers are clueless of who they even are. The only fun and decent show in recent years under the Disson name was "Shall We Dance on Ice" and even this past year it started to get corny.

I really hope someone else picks up and does shows that are worth watching and fills the spot the loss of the corny Disson shows (yet be not corny in the process) brings.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Good grief. I'm trying to catch up with several of these threads. Y'all, Disson Skating shows is something similar to second nature to me because I grew up watching all of the shows. What are skating shows without Disson involved in it? It's like the old commercial about Sunkist Oranges; "If it doesn't say Sunkist, you don't know what's inside." It's just not going to be the same ever if someone else takes this over. :(

I know others complained about commercials, showing the singing artists more sometimes than the skaters, but we have to realize that those shows had sponsors and that's how Disson was able to air them on the different TV stations. Without the sponsors, commercials and singing artists, Disson wouldn't have been able to produce the shows that we got to see on TV.

sap5

I'll be in the minority and say that I'm glad they're gone. I love to watch skating, but those Disson shows were so awful I'd never watch them. It would be great if someone could step into the vacuum and create a new show. Maybe after the Olympics they'll be a large enough bump in interest that something could happen.

bardtoob

I think the Disson Skating Shows could have continued with Evan transitioning into Brian's role and with a smaller cast of slightly bigger names.

From the list of performers, it seems the cast lacks new blood except on the gymnast side.

http://www.dissonskating.com/our-performers/

However, that is not to say the aging cast is not composed of exceptional artists. I will probably continue to watch until it is no more.

Last edited:

Simone411

I think the Disson Skating Shows could have continued with Evan transitioning into Brian's role and with a smaller cast of slightly bigger names.

From the list of performers, it seems the cast lacks new blood except on the gymnast side.

However, that is not to say the aging cast is not composed of exceptional artists. I will probably continue to watch until it is no more.
And so will I. Thanks for the link to the performers for 2016 and 2017. Several of my favorite skaters are listed, and I look forward to seeing them skate while we still have the chance. :)

Barbara Manatee

And so will I. Thanks for the link to the performers for 2016 and 2017. Several of my favorite skaters are listed, and I look forward to seeing them skate while we still have the chance. :)

The 2016/2017 shows have already been filmed and aired. There won't be any more.

Simone411

The 2016/2017 shows have already been filmed and aired. There won't be any more.
Well, I know you're right about that. I guess I was just hoping in a way that we might see this past season's shows once more. I do have a lot of the shows from past years on VHS tapes, and at least can still watch those. It just won't be the same anymore without Disson Skating ... that is at least for me. :(

Kecasyl

Evan?!! You realize he has like almost nothing to do with skating anymore, right? He works in high fashion for Vera Wang in NYC.

Bellanca

Unfortunate, but sadly, hardly surprising. Sign of the skating times in the U.S.A. That is why it is so important, IMHO, for skaters to have a Plan B in mind for making a living, a career, etc. So many still seem a little lost when competitive skating ends for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information