Delayed Gratification - The 2022 Baseball Thread

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Was he the one with the unusually large cat?

Atlanta's already signed Matt Olson to an 8-year deal. It hasn't even been 24 hours since the trade!
Wow
I was all excited about baseball and then my Reds traded away THREE of my favorite players this week......going back into my hole to cry for a while and drink some wine. :fragile:
Are they doing the "rebuild" thing? I hate that!

We're on the beginning of that with the Nationals. I am glad to see they signed a couple of players for this season: Nelson Cruz as DH and they brought back Sean Doolittle! This hopefully indicates they have some expectations of winning some games this season...that wasn't obvious when they cleared everyone out last season.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Wow

Are they doing the "rebuild" thing? I hate that!

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I just know I spent most of today panicking every time my phone's MLB alert went off for fear of what might happen next. I think I'll be walking on eggshells until the season starts! :eek:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Freddie Freeman to Dodgers.

:blah::blah::blah:

Maybe the Dodgers can just play themselves and everyone else can have a different league. :drama:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Okay baseball fans, the trade deadline nightmare has begun.

I can't believe the Orioles traded Trey Mancini. :fragile:

I'm hiding under the bed waiting for what the Nationals will do.

Firedancer

I'm hiding under the bed waiting for what the Nationals will do.

Hopefully send Soto to the Yankees! :D

Cautiously optimistic with the moves the Yankees have made so far. Really wish we got Castillo. And they still need to get rid of Gallo.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
:wuzrobbed

I wasn't expecting the Orioles to make the playoffs this year, even with Mancini, but they're never going to truly "rebuild" and contend if they trade away players once they get good.
But they had a shot at it. It made no sense to trade Mancini.

Its like some siren song to the general managers; anytime a player is near free agency they suddenly are willing to trade for supposed prospects. Why don't they go out and sign their own players?

Its one thing when it is Juan Soto turning down a huge contract but I can't figure why the Nationals won't try to sign Josh Bell. Put the money out there. You've got to have some established team leadership when you bring young players up.

The Nationals seem to be trying to field a winning team at the Class A level. :rolleyes:

MsZem

I see the sea
The Trey Mancini trade is pretty shocking. At some point you have to try to field a winning team, and that's exactly the kind of guy you want at the heart of it. ESPN gave the Orioles' part of the trade an F, and rightly so:
Orioles fans deserve to see their team try to capitalize on this chance to make the playoffs. They deserved to see this happen with Mancini as part of the charge. Now, that isn't going to happen.

Meanwhile, the Braves extended Austin Riley with the biggest contract in franchise history. I guess everyone learned their lesson from the Freddie Freeman debacle.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Now the Orioles have traded Jorge Lopez for prospects. I guess they had no intention of contending for a wild card spot this year.

Makes you wonder if they ever will...

Debbie S

Now the Orioles have traded Jorge Lopez for prospects. I guess they had no intention of contending for a wild card spot this year.

Makes you wonder if they ever will...
Not until the team is sold. Current owner Angelos in his 90s, with dementia, and his wife and sons are feuding with each other. Supposedly, when Angelos dies, they will sell the team, which they claim will only be to someone who will keep the team in Baltimore. We can only hope it will be an owner who actually wants to invest in a winning product. Come on Cal (Ripken), get a group of investors together.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Not until the team is sold. Current owner Angelos in his 90s, with dementia, and his wife and sons are feuding with each other. Supposedly, when Angelos dies, they will sell the team, which they claim will only be to someone who will keep the team in Baltimore. We can only hope it will be an owner who actually wants to invest in a winning product. Come on Cal (Ripken), get a group of investors together.
Fans are so at the mercy of ownership. Get a bad owner and you are screwed for years. :(

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
So much for the Nationals, and I used to think they had good ownership.

I give you at least ten years if not more of last place finishes. Prospects do not make a major league team.

Bell and Soto go to the Padres.

fck it.
ETA: if any of the prospects ever starts producing then the Nationals will trade them away for prospects too. Its all a joke.

MsZem

I see the sea
There are franchises that went through tough rebuilds and came out strong on the other side - both of last year's World Series entries had some pretty ugly seasons in the previous decade. But the ultimate goal has to be to field a championship-caliber team, not to stockpile prospects.

I'm a Braves fan, and the minor league system is pretty thin at the moment because so many players have either graduated to the MLB team or went elsewhere in trades. That's perfectly reasonable when a team is contending, but the owners have to give the front office the resources to succeed.

Rob

Beach Bum
So much for the Nationals, and I used to think they had good ownership.

I give you at least ten years if not more of last place finishes. Prospects do not make a major league team.

Bell and Soto go to the Padres.

fck it.
ETA: if any of the prospects ever starts producing then the Nationals will trade them away for prospects too. Its all a joke.
Agree, we are back to being the Expos and looking like 2005-2011. Lerners got their ring, have no interest in spending to be a perennial contender, want to sell the team in the off season. They’ll get a lot of $$$$ regardless of whether they spend more or less now. It’s ridiculous to sell the face of the franchise, but Soto will not get more valuable with 1.5 or .5 years left on his contract. They will never again do what they did with Bryce Harper and get nothing at all. So I am glad they are selling the team. And Davy Martinez was more lucky than good even in 2019. I guess we built to 2012-19 by sucking and getting good draft picks so here we are again.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Agree, we are back to being the Expos and looking like 2005-2011. Lerners got their ring, have no interest in spending to be a perennial contender, want to sell the team in the off season. They’ll get a lot of $$$$ regardless of whether they spend more or less now. It’s ridiculous to sell the face of the franchise, but Soto will not get more valuable with 1.5 or .5 years left on his contract. They will never again do what they did with Bryce Harper and get nothing at all. So I am glad they are selling the team. And Davy Martinez was more lucky than good even in 2019. I guess we built to 2012-19 by sucking and getting good draft picks so here we are again.
I think they did a bad job of managing the team through the good years. Why did they end up with an empty farm system and aging players? That didn't have to happen. And they were a wild card game away from not getting the title; its not as if the Nationals were some long-term dynasty.

Now they look distantly familiar to me. Like the expansion Senators I grew up with. Terrible. And they don't even have a Frank Howard.

I'm ready for the Lerners to go but what a crapshoot it is to see what new ownership might be. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information