Davis and White #36: What a Wonderful World

suki

Does anyone feel as underwhelmed with ice dancing this season? All I kept thinking of while watching the World Championship is how much I miss Meryl/Charlie. They brought such excitement and energy to ice dancing, it was palpable. I am not a big fan of P/C whom I find monotonous and overmarked. I would love to see the Shibs return, but I can understand if they think the odds are stacked against them and decline.

Barbara Manatee

Yes and no. :saint: No one matches Meryl and Charlie's sweep and power and abandon, so I'm not on the edge of my seat with dance anymore. But I do enjoy watching G/P's inventiveness, C/B's fun, P/C's thoughtfulness. Especially this year, when there wasn't nearly as much lyrical angst.

Sylvia

TBD
Charlie was interviewed for this SOI publicity article in the Worcester, Mass. Telegram & Gazette ("Davis and White now have respective spouses." ;)): https://www.telegram.com/entertainm...team-among-stars-on-ice-april-28-in-worcester
Excerpt:
... both are taking courses at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, after the demands of ice-dancing training put what would have been their normal college years on ice.
White said he is trying to finish his undergraduate degree with a major in political science.
He has also been a presence on social media and said that now “my favorite thing is helping to build people up. How can I motivate other people with all the experiences that I’ve had?”
White’s working on a new kind of game plan.
“I’d really like to be able to write it all down in one or multiple formats,” he said. “I think about it a lot. What are the real takaways? What are the real human elements? And how can I pass them along in ways that are helpful?”

Barbara Manatee

Nobody in the history of skating has ever enjoyed group numbers more than Charlie. :cheer:

Meryl does her second best party trick (after ghosting.) :rockstar: I'm looking forward to seeing their Queen medly - I loved that Don't Stop Me Now exhibition back in the day. Lilac Wine is kind of dreary slog to me, but I'm sure their performance will be lovely.

mollymgr

I'm looking forward to the Queen Medley. Interestingly, Madi and Zach are also doing one per Sylvia's post in the SOI thread.
I enjoyed the first half of Lauriault Le Gac's FD from a couple seasons with You Take My Breath Away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiuhQnyPJxA
And Madi and Evan doing their amazing Under Pressure. There are not too many ways one can go wrong with Queen.:lol:

Lilac Wine is a bit :yawn: OTOH.

carolina

I'm looking forward to the Queen Medley. Interestingly, Madi and Zach are also doing one per Sylvia's post in the SOI thread.
I enjoyed the first half of Lauriault Le Gac's FD from a couple seasons with You Take My Breath Away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiuhQnyPJxA
And Madi and Evan doing their amazing Under Pressure. There are not too many ways one can go wrong with Queen.:lol:

Lilac Wine is a bit :yawn: OTOH.
?

semogal

Nobody in the history of skating has ever enjoyed group numbers more than Charlie. :cheer:

Meryl does her second best party trick (after ghosting.) :rockstar: I'm looking forward to seeing their Queen medly - I loved that Don't Stop Me Now exhibition back in the day. Lilac Wine is kind of dreary slog to me, but I'm sure their performance will be lovely.

Don’t Stop Me Now is one of my favorites. I probably watch it a couple of times a month when I need a D/W fix.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Don’t Stop Me Now is one of my favorites. I probably watch it a couple of times a month when I need a D/W fix.

That's my least favorite D/W program haha. I haven't watched it since I saw it in Cleveland in 2009.

I wish they would have included Love of My Life in their medley.

mollymgr

From some instagram clips, it appears that two of the cuts are definitely from Somebody to Love and I Want to Break Free. Sylvia mentioned in the SOI thread that their medley also contains It's a Kind of Magic.

Laura4

Last week Meryl answered fan questions on Instagram, and someone asked if she and Charlie had plans to visit Asia. Meryl said yes. Does anyone know what that's about?

Barbara Manatee

A nice little story about Meryl's wedding plans in US Weekly -
The ice dancer added that the pair will tie the knot in the south of France this summer, followed by a weeklong honeymoon in Europe.

Davis’ longtime figure skating partner, Charlie White, will be by her side too when she walks down the aisle. “I’m already married, so she’s late to the party!” the 31-year-old athlete quipped to Us. “It’s odd. I mean, first of all, how awesome that I get to go to the south of France — just celebrate her and her fiancé. So I’m just happy for her.”

Now why didn't I manage to have a best friend who threw a fabulous wedding in the south of France? :nopryde:

Sylvia

TBD
Kari of "The He Said She Said Experience" blog interviewed Meryl before the Stars on Ice show in Hershey, PA (includes photos with Kari's 2 boys): http://thehesaidshesaidexperience.com/2019/05/meryl-davis-interview/
Kari: So what are you doing next after this? What do you have coming up other than the wedding?
Meryl Davis: That’s the next big thing. I’m finishing school this summer. I’ve been going to university since 2006 very, very, very slowly chipping away, so glad to have that done.
Kari: What’s next for you in skating?
Meryl Davis: I really like doing seminars getting to get in there for a few days and really make a difference, but as far as coaching full-time or choreographing, it hasn’t really caught my interest at this time. I still just love skating so much myself. At this point in my career when I’m on the ice, I just want to be skating myself. That may change. I know Charlie has really embraced coaching and choreographing, but it hasn’t peaked my interest yet.

ETA:

SOI Long Island photos of Queen medley ("The many and varied expressions of @charlieawhite"): https://www.instagram.com/p/BxfgHpvpgIF/
And 10 photos of "Lilac Wine": https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxpe3yQpTmr/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information