Davis and White #36: What a Wonderful World

mollymgr

I had trouble with Ice Network yesterday during the actual live broadcast. :mad: But I watched it today and I enjoyed it because I learn something new every time he and Tanith do commentary.:) I had no idea that H/D's second half of the program was to portray an evolution of hip-hop through the decades until he pointed it out.:eek: I agree that he could cut back on the comments during the actual skating or lay off the coffee.:rofl:

Barbara Manatee

I think that everything that was off about Charlie's commentary yesterday was fixed today. He was great! Quick study or a switch to decaf?

He really got flustered when Mr Nancy compared D/W's Bollywood to I/Z though. We were all thinking it, but he couldn't say it.:saint:

mollymgr

I think that everything that was off about Charlie's commentary yesterday was fixed today. He was great! Quick study or a switch to decaf?
I agree. He doesn't do this very often so I can see him not realizing to polish those skills of when to speak and how much. In contrast, Tanith is just a natural but even she tends to get better with every event. He was good at World's earlier this year so he just needs to do this more often as practice makes perfect.:D Unfortunately, I don't think there are as many opportunities because skating is practically non-existent in the US.:(

Last edited:

suki

Is it just me, or does this British actor, Kyle Soller, from the series Poldark, resemble Charlie? I keep waiting for his character to break out into twizzles when he's on the screen.
26E0BC1800000578-0-image-m-44_1426973893802.jpg

Jessica

Just got back from Skate America. On Saturday night we went to Panera's for an early dinner. As we were eating, guess who walks by--Charlie. I think he was on his way back from the men's room. He went by so fast, we didn't have time to speak to him. When we were leaving we saw Tanith sitting with some woman. (Charlie was no where to be found). We spoke to her and told her that we thought attendance was pretty good. She said there had been a concern because of regionals being held the same weekend. She is one pretty lady.

Suki--Kyle Soller could be Charlie's twin. I keep seeing that show advertised on PBS. I'm going to have to watch it.

suki

[QUOTE="JSuki--Kyle Soller could be Charlie's twin. I keep seeing that show advertised on PBS. I'm going to have to watch it.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to go off topic, but I can hardily recommend Poldark. It's a good series (aren't all the British historical dramas) based on a series of novels by Winston Graham. PBS is showing the second series now, but I think you can watch the first series on PBS.org. Added bonus: All the leading men are smoking hot:smokin:

shan

I love Poldark!! I know some people vastly prefer the original series from the 1975, but I really like Aidan Turner. :smokin: And I never saw that earlier version.

Last edited:

Jessica

Still off topic--Thanks for the info. I too love the British historical dramas and my guilty pleasure are the mysteries shown on PBS. I'll watch Season 1 of Poldark online to catch up.
Back on topic--My friend misses Charlie's long hair but still thinks Tanith is a lucky young lady.

love skating

Clueless American
I don't watch Poldark but saw the same actor in You Me and the Apocalypse last year and definitely thought he looked like Charlie!!

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
After watching some ice dance this season and seeing what Meryl and Charlie have been doing (especially the LOTF dance), they can come back anytime! Not that I'm not enjoying the skating I'm seeing, there's some great stuff. I thought Gilles/Poirer were fantastic at Skate Canada, that's my fave of what I've seen. Ice dance is still very much alive and well. So, V/M...they are still skating well but nothing really new there. Will be interesting to see how they do as the season goes on. The scores at Skate Canada were interesting to say the least.

Anyway, if DW do decide to compete again, I know they could still be on their game but they (and VM) need to build on their greatness of the past and really make us take notice of what they truly can do now. If they want to. Because neither team has anything to prove, at all. Both have made ice dance history and brought much joy to skating fans.

Barbara Manatee

I miss their style of skating more than ever after seeing SA and SC, but I still don't see them coming back. Listening to Charlie's dance commentary on ice network, I didn't hear a trace of longing or regret.

Something that is definitely coming back - SOI's Lake Placid show:
We’re excited to announce a 1-time only SOI holiday performance in Lake Placid, NY on Dec 30th! The presale is now through Nov 3rd with the password STARS - to see @meryledavis, @charlieawhite, Ekaterina Gordeeva & more. Just visit our website for more show information or to purchase tickets. The 2017 US Tour schedule and cast will be announced later this winter!

Is it too much to hope it'll be televised again, too?

mollymgr

I miss their style of skating more than ever after seeing SA and SC, but I still don't see them coming back. Listening to Charlie's dance commentary on ice network, I didn't hear a trace of longing or regret.

Something that is definitely coming back - SOI's Lake Placid show:

Is it too much to hope it'll be televised again, too?
I agree. He seems to be quite pleased with being a spectator and being involved with skating in other ways. It reminds me of their interviews where D/W jokingly said that they wanted to run away before taking the ice at Sochi.:lol: I can't even imagine wanting to train and compete at that level again after accomplishing everything. What's left to prove? And why would anyone want to put themselves under that tremendous pressure unless you REALLY want two Olympic gold medals. They are both finally getting to enjoy a normal life and it is great to see them so happy(not that they weren't happy before :lol:). I can't believe I am reading stuff where people are still blaming them for things when they haven't even competed since Feb 2014. I never knew D/W were still capable of sending shivers down people's spines.:rofl:

suki

I agree. He seems to be quite pleased with being a spectator and being involved with skating in other ways. It reminds me of their interviews where D/W jokingly said that they wanted to run away before taking the ice at Sochi.:lol: I can't even imagine wanting to train and compete at that level again after accomplishing everything. What's left to prove? And why would anyone want to put themselves under that tremendous pressure unless you REALLY want two Olympic gold medals. They are both finally getting to enjoy a normal life and it is great to see them so happy(not that they weren't happy before :lol:). I can't believe I am reading stuff where people are still blaming them for things when they haven't even competed since Feb 2014. I never knew D/W were still capable of sending shivers down people's spines.:rofl:

Most of the comments are from the V/M super mega uber-ubers. They cannot accept the fact that D/W not only caught up with but surpassed V/M. It wasn't D/W's abilities that earned them all those wins from 2011-2014. No, it was political collusion between the US and other countries (take your pick), backstabbing by their long-time coaching staff, and a plot by organized crime (okay, I'm kidding about the last one).:drama:

mollymgr

I know a lot of V/M's fans are excited to see them return to competition and I'm happy for them. It is the obnoxious few who resurfaced with the normal ones that are all over the board whining about insignificant things. They are not letting anyone enjoy any team. They don't seem to have any faith in V/M's capabilities and are ready to attack anyone and everyone.:rolleyes: They bring up the past, ruin the present and predict doom for the future. I don't get the point of such negativity.

Sylvia

TBD
Upcoming shows (ETA: thanks to @Barbara Manatee & @seabm7 for the additional links, now edited in below):
They're also skating at Detroit's tree lighting ceremony on Nov 17. The tv station streams online, if anyone wants to watch.

Sunday, November 20 in Nashville, TN - Scott Hamilton & Friends - event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...-with-scott-hamilton-friends-coming-up.99379/

Holiday Festival on Ice - 3 shows in Canada: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...vis-white-gordeeva-sato-sawyer-bradley.99522/
Friday, December 2 in Red Deer, AB
Saturday, December 3 in Medicine Hat, AB
Sunday, December 4 in Vernon, BC

Sunday, December 11 in Las Vegas, NV - Shall We Dance on Ice (Disson Skating): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/shall-we-dance-on-ice-dec-11-2016-las-vegas.99365/
Christmas on Ice 2016, December 16, 17, and 18 in Yokohama, Japan

Shin-Yokohama Skate Center
http://www.xmasonice.com/

Friday, December 30 - Stars on Ice show in Lake Placid, NY - event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...7-including-lake-placid-ny-dec-30-2016.99693/

Friday to Sunday, January 13-15, 2017 - Stars on Ice in Yokohama, Japan: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/stars-on-ice-japan-2017.99694/

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - The Skating & Gymnastics (Disson Skating) show has been re-scheduled on this date (location TBD): http://www.dissonskating.com/event/colgate-skating-gymnastics-spectacular-2016/
(This is the week after U.S. Nationals.)

Art on Ice shows in Switzerland (thanks, @Barbara Manatee!):
February 2-5, 2017 in Zurich
Feb. 7-8 in Lausanne
Feb. 10-11 in Davos
http://www.artonice.com/en/

Last edited:

justtojoke

ooh i didn't realize the Skating Gymnastic show had been rescheduled!! But my hopes of a better skating roster have been dashed..:slinkaway

seabm7

One Japanese show is missing:

Christmas on Ice 2016, December 16, 17, and 18 in Yokohama, Japan

Shin-Yokohama Skate Center
http://www.xmasonice.com/

Note) This smaller venue was used for the JGP this year. It is very close to the JSOI 2017 venue, but not the same one.

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

They're also skating at Detroit's tree lighting ceremony on Nov 17. The tv station streams online, if anyone wants to watch. Vacation is over for those two!

But my hopes of a better skating roster have been dashed..:slinkaway
That is one meager line-up. I guess the gymnasts will have to do the heavy lifting this time. I have to say I'm glad to see Denney/Coughlin, though. I've become a retroactive fan of his skating because I enjoy his commentary so much.

semogal

Glad they are getting back to work because that means videos and instragram photos will be popping up. I am looking forward to seeing new routines!

Barbara Manatee

Jessica

Here's a story I just had to share.
Over the weekend I went to the grocery store. When I came back, as always I checked my receipt. There was an item that said "D&W Old Fashion." Of course I immediately thought, "Meryl and Charlie have never been old fashion.
It actually stood for Dietz & Watson Old Fashion Barrel Sauerkraut.
I guess with me it's always about skating and of course D&W.

semogal

Trying to watch the FD in France and I have to say I have never missed Charlie and Meryl more than today. I am so sick of all the angst in today's skating, I miss fun and skating big. Thank goodness for youtube! Going to go watch Die Fledermaus

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I wanted to like I/Z's Bollywood, and I do think it has some potential. But man, after watching it today that program needs a lot of work. Elena and Ruslan have some intense training sessions ahead of them.

Off to watch D/W's Bollywood as well. The program never gets old. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information