Davis and White #36: What a Wonderful World

DDNatalia

Charlie seems to be really enjoying his backstage projects for the ISU. Good to see some effort with additional coverage utilizing social media basics.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Charlie's Facebook live video after the events today:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1470634109628192&id=255007411190874

I think this forum suits Charlie more than the commentating role. He's so personable that he's great with the skaters in interviews, and he has the knowledge and comfort to talk solo to the camera for 20 minutes in the wrap up videos. Commentating is all about being selective with your words and your timing, and I think Charlie is better when he can freewheel it.

sap5

I've only really watched his post-SD interviews, but I think Charlie is doing a great job asking each team questions that are specific to that team. I can see that he's really thought about what to ask, and what fans would like to know about ice dance. Great job!

professordeb

Charlie is such a freaking geek!!! (and I say this with a huge smile on my face cause it's a good thing). It's no wonder that those three could be so relaxed during the interview. They still seem to have a level of friendship that is wonderful to see. Charlie for ISU interviews at all ISU Figure Skating comps. :D

Barbara Manatee

Charlie's good with the ice dancers of course, but I'm also impressed with how knowledgeable he is with the pairs and singles, too. He did his homework. Catching up on his interviews today is a nice break from the arguing over which dance team is the most rudely maligned. :rolleyes: He and the ISU are asking for comments - I hope they'll have him do this again.

Bonus footage just because - Charles and Stephane Lambiel.

mollymgr

Charlie's good with the ice dancers of course, but I'm also impressed with how knowledgeable he is with the pairs and singles, too. He did his homework. Catching up on his interviews today is a nice break from the arguing over which dance team is the most rudely maligned. :rolleyes: He and the ISU are asking for comments - I hope they'll have him do this again.

Bonus footage just because - Charles and Stephane Lambiel.
I'm a little sad that this season is over (minus the WTT). Overall, I think Helsinki did a great job at hosting. Those practice streams were awesome. It was such an unpredictable dance competition and I really wish everyone had clean skates for the whole comp as we saw earlier in the season. Maybe everyone was tired and stressed out. But that's what competition is about. I'm glad they gave Charlie the opportunity to do this. I enjoyed all the interviews and I hope they do this again in future. I was hoping for interviews with a few more skaters but I think they were trying their best. I was sad that we never had this type of coverage when D/W were competing and someone as nice as Charlie to interview all the skaters.:lol:

Last edited:

cheremary

I'm glad they gave Charlie the opportunity to do this. I enjoyed all the interviews and I hope they do this again in future. I was hoping for interviews with a few more skaters but I think they were trying their best. I was sad that we never had this type of coverage when D/W were competing and someone as nice as Charlie to interview all the skaters.:lol:

One thing I appreciated was that someone on the Facebook Live chat had asked Charlie to interview some skaters not at the top, and they actually did by interviewing Julian Yee (who I was really glad to hear from) and Michael Christian Martinez. Stephane was a great bonus too! Would've loved to have Misha Ge in there too, but it shows that they're listening to feedback.

Like everyone else, I just loved Charlie's cheerfulness and encouragement to all the competitors, and agree that this suits his personality better than normal commentary. Really hope he will do this again in the future!

tarotx

I really enjoyed the interviews. Charlie was a megawatt of adorableness, at the same time he asked interesting questions and knew how to lead a question, to not only get a good answer but get the skaters to show personality ❤

CassAgain

I received a post card from Russia today with an adorable Meryl and Charlie sticker on it. It was a drawing of them in their 2011-12 Rhumba costumes--Meryl in the orange with side cut-outs. Just a bit of random D/W joy from St. Petersburg!

shan

I received a post card from Russia today with an adorable Meryl and Charlie sticker on it. It was a drawing of them in their 2011-12 Rhumba costumes--Meryl in the orange with side cut-outs. Just a bit of random D/W joy from St. Petersburg!

Sounds cute! :)

Z

ZilphaK

I did a fun interview with Charlie for our local parenting magazine. It's part of the SOI promo and I had to make the interview relevant to a wider audience than skating fans (e.g. sports parents in general), but I did get some local skater kids to submit questions, and the interview was a lot of fun. He's such a bright and personable guy. Enjoy! (I have an interview with Gracie, too. I'll try to get it up in a day or two. Just a fun chat again with questions from the kids. She's a sweetie!)

http://www.centralpennparent.com/20...harlie-white-olympic-ice-dance-gold-medalist/

Last edited by a moderator:

mollymgr

I did a fun interview with Charlie for our local parenting magazine. It's part of the SOI promo and I had to make the interview relevant to a wider audience than skating fans (e.g. sports parents in general), but I did get some local skater kids to submit questions, and the interview was a lot of fun. He's such a bright and personable guy. Enjoy! (I have an interview with Gracie, too. I'll try to get it up in a day or two. Just a fun chat again with questions from the kids. She's a sweetie!)

http://www.centralpennparent.com/20...harlie-white-olympic-ice-dance-gold-medalist/
Great interview. I wish more interviews had questions from kids because they have some really good ones. Thanks for posting this :)

semogal

Thank you so much for posting this interview! I really needed some positive motivation this morning and Charlie gave it to me!

Laura4

Love that costume...one of my favorites! I believe it's the one she's wearing in my avatar pic. :)

Barbara Manatee

I did a fun interview with Charlie for our local parenting magazine./
If you prepare as hard as you can–within reason, with the energy you have, with time allotted–you can only be disappointed to a degree. That’s something I’ve taken with me through my career, to say, “I‘ve done as much as I can, I listened to my coaches, I got enough sleep. If something doesn’t go right, I can honestly say it’s because figure skating is hard, and I can look in the mirror and know I didn’t let myself down.”

And I think that’s the case in anything in life, whether it’s sports or school.
That is an annoyingly healthy attitude. I wish I had that ability - I hold on to failure like a dog with a bone. :wall: Guess that's why he's the one with all the medals.

mollymgr

That is an annoyingly healthy attitude. I wish I had that ability - I hold on to failure like a dog with a bone. :wall: Guess that's why he's the one with all the medals.
You can just start fresh and take his advice for the future. You will be able to find success in all your olympic medal worthy personal tasks without any regrets. Win at life like Charlie! :D

Z

ZilphaK

If it make you feel better, there was a lot of sighing on his part during that answer. :) He was really upfront about and repeated the fact that figure skating is hard...super hard. I got the feeling he was balancing a lot of his answers by repeating this over and over. That even for people who do win medals, it's hard. I think that his healthy attitude is also a lot of self talk that's been practiced over and over. That might also be easier to do when skating is your "job" and you have a lot of support from family, friends...for those of us who skate and compete recreationally, it's not always as easy to plug along, virtually on your own, and keep finding the willpower to find the positives, you know?

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively

justtojoke

A bit of Adagio for Strings from the SOI show in Fort Myers https://instagram.com/p/BS2b0KmB8pz/

Seeing Charlie in his Rach costume threw me off a bit at first(THAT BLUE IS SACRED). I see the costume Meryl has is the finished product of the Victoria Secret Bodice she teased on her IG story:lol:. I hope we get a group number with the three dance teams again this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information