Cricket 5

Scrufflet

My 5th annual jaunt to the Cricket Club for my retirees' Christmas lunch! Food wasn't terrific but the skating was!

Saw Medvedeva (sigh) and Jason Brown (sigh) as expected, Cha and Orzel. But for the first time in 5 years, Yuzu was there! So amazing to see this legend up close and personal!Last year, there was a lot of interaction among the skaters; this year, everyone was in their own world. Hanyu did what I consider to be an "art installation". It was like he was creating a large piece of art in and around all the skaters. He did a series of 6 flourishes and bows, covering all of the rink. Amazing and mesmerizing! Cha was shadowing him like crazy (and wore a similar black outfit, had same haircut, etc.) and it got annoying at times.
Tons of jumping, tons of triples, often in combo. Brian was there and Tracy led the stroking exercise this time. Could someone tell me how these people manage their jet lag? They must have some tricks as they're not long back from NHK.
What a terrific day!

Japanfan

Could someone tell me how these people manage their jet lag? They must have some tricks as they're not long back from NHK.

I've always wondered about that as well. I don't handle jet lag well as all, now that I'm older.

I would guess that skaters and others who travel a lot get used it, and have strategies to deal with it that work for them.

Tavi

Hi Scrufflet - Thanks so much for your vivid report - it must have been really fun! How did Jason look - any triple axels or quads? Anything else that stood out to you? Again, thanks so much for sharing!

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My 5th annual jaunt to the Cricket Club for my retirees' Christmas lunch! Food wasn't terrific but the skating was!

Saw Medvedeva (sigh) and Jason Brown (sigh) as expected, Cha and Orzel. But for the first time in 5 years, Yuzu was there! So amazing to see this legend up close and personal!Last year, there was a lot of interaction among the skaters; this year, everyone was in their own world. Hanyu did what I consider to be an "art installation". It was like he was creating a large piece of art in and around all the skaters. He did a series of 6 flourishes and bows, covering all of the rink. Amazing and mesmerizing! Cha was shadowing him like crazy (and wore a similar black outfit, had same haircut, etc.) and it got annoying at times.
Tons of jumping, tons of triples, often in combo. Brian was there and Tracy led the stroking exercise this time. Could someone tell me how these people manage their jet lag? They must have some tricks as they're not long back from NHK.
What a terrific day!

About jet lag -

I believe it has to do with the frequency and length of travel. If you travel a lot and for short periods, your body clock does not settle down, so you don’t get much jet lag. I know it sounds weird. It may also depend on how far the place is. Going to Europe has not given me jet lag, but going to Asia is a completely different story. It takes a long time to recover. However, if it is a short trip, the jet lag is not much. Just normal travel fatigue.

My friend who goes to Europe every year for long stretches (2-3 months at a time) always complains about jet lag.

If you stay at the new place for a long time (definition of this could vary from person to person, but for me it is around 10 days or longer) you adjust to the time zone, so when you go back, you have jet lag.

I also agree with Japanfan about age. When I was young, I didn’t know what jet lag was. In my late twenties I found out, and it kept getting worse. However, I know people who are older but don’t get jet lag. They like to brag about it. :)

Sorry I went totally OT. Thanks for the report. It sounds great.

Last edited:

Scrufflet

Hi Scrufflet - Thanks so much for your vivid report - it must have been really fun! How did Jason look - any triple axels or quads? Anything else that stood out to you? Again, thanks so much for sharing!
Medved was tossing off jumps (some triple combinations) but Jason was "zoning", just flying around in a different world.

Scrufflet

About jet lag -

I believe it has to do with the frequency and length of travel. If you travel a lot and for short periods, your body clock does not settle down, so you don’t get much jet lag. I know it sounds weird. It may also depend on how far the place is. Going to Europe has not given me jet lag, but going to Asia is a completely different story. It takes a long time to recover. However, if it is a short trip, the jet lag is not much. Just normal travel fatigue.

My friend who goes to Europe every year for long stretches (2-3 months at a time) always complains about jet lag.

If you stay at the new place for a long time (definition of this could vary from person to person, but for me it is around 10 days or longer) you adjust to the time zone, so when you go back, you have jet lag.

I also agree with Japanfan about age. When I was young, I didn’t know what jet lag was. In my late twenties I found out, and it kept getting worse. However, I know people who are older but don’t get jet lag. They like to brag about it. :)

Sorry I went totally OT. Thanks for the report. It sounds great.
Interesting! I never knew this. And I thought everyone got jet lag.

puglover

I remember reading that Patrick Chan did not handle jet lag well and changing continents was extra challenging for him. If I were a coach I would probably have to be on some strong anti-anxiety drug to deal with all the ups and downs if I had a number of skaters competing. Some of those K&C waits look so emotionally draining.

Tavi

Medved was tossing off jumps (some triple combinations) but Jason was "zoning", just flying around in a different world.

Sorry, but I’m not sure I understand. I asked about Jason because he struggled so much and fell four times last week at NHK - that many falls is really unusual for him. Are you saying he looked really out of it compared to the other skaters and wasn't jumping much?

Japanfan

I remember reading that Patrick Chan did not handle jet lag well and changing continents was extra challenging for him. If I were a coach I would probably have to be on some strong anti-anxiety drug to deal with all the ups and downs if I had a number of skaters competing. Some of those K&C waits look so emotionally draining.

IIRC, MK wasn't happy about having to travel abroad, either.

Scrufflet

Sorry, but I’m not sure I understand. I asked about Jason because he struggled so much and fell four times last week at NHK - that many falls is really unusual for him. Are you saying he looked really out of it compared to the other skaters and wasn't jumping much?
No I am not saying that. He was really into whatever he was doing and in his own zone. I can only tell what I observed and I wouldn't read too much into it. It was a brief visit for me and I cannot assess their thoughts and feelings on the ice. He was working so let's feel optimistic for him.

Tavi

No I am not saying that. He was really into whatever he was doing and in his own zone. I can only tell what I observed and I wouldn't read too much into it. It was a brief visit for me and I cannot assess their thoughts and feelings on the ice. He was working so let's feel optimistic for him.

Thank you for your response. I wasn’t asking you to speculate. It simply wasn’t clear to me what you observed.

Last edited:

fan

I’ve watched Jason a number of times. He has a fairly good success rate in 3 axel in practise. Quads not as much

Tavi

I’ve watched Jason a number of times. He has a fairly good success rate in 3 axel in practise. Quads not as much

Thanks so much - that’s pretty much what I’d expect based on what he does in competition. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information