Crafting, Crocheting and Hobbies

BaileyCatts

Here's a thread all you crafty type people can talk about your crafting type projects and stuff. :lol:

Is anyone here an expert in crocheting? My grandma was big into crocheting and I have a lot of blankets and handmade stuff from her. Back in the 80s, she made a small little baby blanket for my baby kitty. :cat: It somehow has gotten holes in several spots where the yarn is all frayed away. I think that, at one time when I had a mouse in my house, the mouse had at it, cause that is what it looks like. The yarn is just all frayed and ripped apart creating several holes in the blanket.

Is it possible that the yarn could like be unraveled, tied off, and then re-crocheted with matching yarn to fix the holes if I were to find someone that lives around me that knows how to crochet really well? I don't know how to crochet at all so don't know if that can be done. But I wanna fix my baby :cat: blanket, plus my grandma made it, ya' know? I want to try to get it fixed.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Here's a thread all you crafty type people can talk about your crafting type projects and stuff. :lol:

Is anyone here an expert in crocheting? My grandma was big into crocheting and I have a lot of blankets and handmade stuff from her. Back in the 80s, she made a small little baby blanket for my baby kitty. :cat: It somehow has gotten holes in several spots where the yarn is all frayed away. I think that, at one time when I had a mouse in my house, the mouse had at it, cause that is what it looks like. The yarn is just all frayed and ripped apart creating several holes in the blanket.

Is it possible that the yarn could like be unraveled, tied off, and then re-crocheted with matching yarn to fix the holes if I were to find someone that lives around me that knows how to crochet really well? I don't know how to crochet at all so don't know if that can be done. But I wanna fix my baby :cat: blanket, plus my grandma made it, ya' know? I want to try to get it fixed.
See if there is a yarn shop near you. They usually have access to people with different skills. I crochet, but I'd have to see the blanket to know if you could tie into the holes. It's possible depending...on the type of yarn your Grandma used and the stitch. Understand, matching the yarn exactly might be a problem, but if this is for your cat, they probably won't care all that much.

DreamSkates

I crocheted intricate table doilies for a few years until one day, I stopped mid-doily and didn't want to do it anymore. I was in graduate school at the time.
Since then I've explored quilting, more more modern fabrics, colors and patterns although I appreciate the old-fashioned types as well. I sold almost every quilt I made, then decided I had done enough of that.
My actual goal was always to make an art quilt. I go stuck on French Braids which people love and the interplays of colors can be quite compelling. I'm done with such quilting.
With the piles of fabric I have left, I'm exploring ideas about how to make those into one last quilt, an art type landscape or seascape.

BaileyCatts

See if there is a yarn shop near you. They usually have access to people with different skills. I crochet, but I'd have to see the blanket to know if you could tie into the holes. It's possible depending...on the type of yarn your Grandma used and the stitch. Understand, matching the yarn exactly might be a problem, but if this is for your cat, they probably won't care all that much.

Matching the yarn won't be that big a deal ... close enough will be good enough for me. :D She had tons of yarn from making blankets and Christmas decorations and crafty things so she kinda used batches of leftover yarn to make different colored rows. I have like 3 different baby blankets she made for my Friskey. I can't imagine what happened to it other than it was when I had the mouse running around my house and he chewed holes in it. At the time I discovered it (before I got my Sunny :cat:), I just had it folded on the back of my couch, so :yikes: that the mouse was running around on the back of my couch that I sit on all the time. 🙀

Orm Irian

Oooooh, a craft thread, thank you! I am not a crocheter - it's not good for my RSI-plagued hands - but I am a sewist and am right in the middle of adjusting a pattern while I wait for my fabric order to arrive. This is the first time I'm going to be attempting a hand zigzag stitching project and I'm both excited and scared (yes, I sew clothes by hand - different motions, much less likely to trigger the RSI, and also, I hate sewing machines). Wish me luck!

DFJ

Great thread. I love it all. I knit, sew, crochet, do embroidery work. Whatever I can get my hands on. Unfortunately, I also have a cat that insists on trying to help so it can be a challenge at times.

I've purchased a lot from We Are Knitters. They have great videos on their website that are really helpful.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
It's a long time since I crocheted (though it's something I'd like to get back into) so I'm no help with the question. I can also knit, but I don't because my mother is so good at it (everything from cable knit sweaters to fine shetland lace scarves) that I don't need to. I sew clothing semi-regularly, but don't have a lot of time to devote to it (I love watching Great British Sewing Bee).

My main craft is cross stitch. Here are a couple of board relevant projects I made for a couple of my former skating coaches (scroll down to see second image):

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Matching the yarn won't be that big a deal ... close enough will be good enough for me. :D She had tons of yarn from making blankets and Christmas decorations and crafty things so she kinda used batches of leftover yarn to make different colored rows. I have like 3 different baby blankets she made for my Friskey. I can't imagine what happened to it other than it was when I had the mouse running around my house and he chewed holes in it. At the time I discovered it (before I got my Sunny :cat:), I just had it folded on the back of my couch, so :yikes: that the mouse was running around on the back of my couch that I sit on all the time. 🙀
I'd think the scent of cat would deter a mouse. :😉

Anemone

Like @Bunny Hop , I tend to cross stitch the most often, although I also do papercrafting and crochet.
I usually stitch a fair number or Christmas ornaments each year which I give as gifts, and I have a few larger projects on the go also.
While I have crocheted doilies in the past, these days I tend more towards afghans, and childrens blankets and toys - most of which go to various family members.

MLIS

I took up crochet about six months ago as a pandemic hobby, after reading Sutton Foster’s book Hooked (https://suttonfoster.com/hooked/ — highly recommended reading, btw). Used to do cross stitch, but now find it too hard on my eyes and I don’t have the patience for it. Crochet by comparison is so quick, and easy to carry a project with you. I love how varied things can look all while using the same two or three basic stitches, and I am loving that with every project I put warmth and colour and beauty out into the world. Finished this one tonight:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information